Collapse

My Fitting at TXG Burlington w/Chris

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leftymoose View Post
    This is was a great read. I'll be taking the trip from Ottawa to go get fit at TXG in March.
    Awesome glad you enjoyed the read. That's why I did it and figured it was the best way to document this outside of doing a vlog and I'm not a vlogger.

Hope you enjoy your fitting, I'll be looking to do my putter fitting then.
    Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
    3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
    3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
    Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
    Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
    Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
    TP5X 2024
    Ghost Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Leftymoose View Post
      This is was a great read. I'll be taking the trip from Ottawa to go get fit at TXG in March.
      It really is worth it if you play often, at a reasonable level and want to play your best. Zero sales pressure, patient fitters and it's an eye opener into what your swing strengths and/or flaws are.

Comment

So I guess one final update for now as I have everything in hand. The shafts for my wedges finally arrived and now I have wedges I won't top because they fit me properly. My driver arrived a few days early, just in time for this coming weekend as I'm hoping to play. As you guys have read I've been really happy with the entire process of upgrading my golf bag.

I'll update mid way through my season once I get into a groove as I'll have some rust to bust first. But I really want to see and show the difference between off the rack clubs and fitted/custom clubs. For me just on length alone will be a big difference for me.

My next club update will be in the summer or fall for my fairway and hybrid as I have a feeling there is going to be a gaping issue which I spoke to Chris about and we'll address that.
        TP5X 2024
        Ghost Katana

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

I had very specific goals with my iron fitting in that I wanted the most consistent set of irons that produced a baby fade. I currently draw my irons generally, but sometimes I end up hooking them or I sometimes get the dreaded double sided miss. So I wanted something that I could consistently fade and take the right side of the golf course out of play (I'm a lefty). I did not care whether they were 'game improvement' irons or 'players' irons or how far I hit them. I couldn't care less if I hit a 6 iron 190 or 150 yards. To me the number at the bottom of an iron is just a number. I also wanted to 'future proof' my irons a little in that I am not getting any younger and I just wanted to have a relatively forgiving iron, so I kind of directed Chris not to really give me any blades or anything like that. We ended up with the P790s with the Project X LZ 6.0. We also added 2 degrees of loft, cause I was hitting them a bit far, which likely would have created a large gap at the bottom of my set with the wedges, so we just wanted to close that gap and also launch a little higher and have less roll out. I was really pleased with the shot shape that I got out of these clubs, producing that baby fade that I wanted and almost all of the shots were left of my target and very tightly dispersed.

My numbers were:
          Standard Loft BALL SPEED (MPH) CLUB SPEED (MPH) CARRY (YDS) TOTAL DISTANCE (YDS) OFFLINE (YDS)
          121.7 88.7 181.7 195.7 13.9 L
          122.1 92.6 184.3 199 3 L
          109.5 -- 157.8 179.2 3.6 L
          122.7 93.7 182.2 196.7 7.7 L
          127.7 95.5 189.6 202.8 16.8 L
          121.6 91.8 179.7 194 16.4 L
          125.4 91.9 188 201.9 8.5 L
          103.2 -- 144 160.5 23.6 R
          119.4 -- 177.5 185.4 1.8 L
          122.3 91.6 183.9 198.4 16.5 L
          128.9 92 196.2 210.9 3.8 L
          Average 120.4 92.2 178.6 193.1 10.5
          2 degrees more loft BALL SPEED (MPH) CLUB SPEED (MPH) CARRY (YDS) TOTAL DISTANCE (YDS) OFFLINE (YDS)
          114.1 -- 167.9 179.7 2.7 L
          122.7 91.8 182.4 196.2 1.1 R
          119.7 91.2 175.5 182 9.2 L
          120.7 90 182.2 197.1 1.4 R
          119.9 -- 178.9 192.7 8.7 L
          113.7 -- 163.5 176.3 6.4 L
          123.7 91.5 183.8 196.6 10.9 L
          Average 119.2 91.1 176.3 188.7 5.8
          Regarding my putter fitting, this was totally worth it and for me personally, probably had the best outcome of the day. Mac confirmed that my current putter (spider tour with sight line and slant neck) would have been the one he would have likely fit me in anyway. But the most eye opening part was my setup positioned my aim point about 3-4" left the hole and I generally put a hook spin on my putts. Mac worked with me on changing my setup (open up my stance, aim face better, a little more forward press to lower the launch and get better roll, and a slightly different takeaway) and I was rolling the ball really well. He gave me one drill to work on and I'm now practicing that a home in my basement and it is really working well. Balls roll end over end all the time now with no cut/hook spin any longer. So, if anything, you'll get feedback not only on your equipment, but your stroke as well. I am a big believer in the importance of putting and spending the time to be really proficient at it, since about 1/2 of the game is just this skill alone. I've always wanted to do a session like this and it is totally worth it on its own!!!!!!!!!
          What iron was this for? 7? Sorry if I missed it...
          Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
          Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
          Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
          TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
          Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
          Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

What iron was this for? 7? Sorry if I missed it...
            That was for a 6I.

BTW, I will echo the comments for everyone not to do the full bag fitting in one day. I tried and by the time I got to the driver, it was over 220 swings and I couldn't swing properly any more. Chris was kind enough to set me up with Max at the Toronto location where I completed my driver and wedge fitting at a later date. For that fitting, we determined that my current equipment was pretty good and it didn't make sense to upgrade for the marginal improvement in performance. Max suggested that I go with a larger grip on my bottom hand in order to not rotate through as much with it. So overall, I was really pleased with my TXG experience and would certainly recommend either Chris or Max to anyone. First class outfit.
            Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

I have a booking set up for June 1 in Burlington, to get me fit for new irons. I am playing a set of off the rack TM Burner irons I bought in 2006. I've lost distance over the past couple of years, and obviously it's time for a change, so I thought I'd do it right. I am looking forward to this process.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                I have a booking set up for June 1 in Burlington, to get me fit for new irons. I am playing a set of off the rack TM Burner irons I bought in 2006. I've lost distance over the past couple of years, and obviously it's time for a change, so I thought I'd do it right. I am looking forward to this process.
                Fitted clubs and off the rack have made a huge difference for me. Now my scores are not much different cause I'm having some swing issues at the moment but once those go I should see some good scores.
                TP5X 2024
                Ghost Katana

Comment

I have my fitting this Saturday, but have a question; do I bring my own clubs? I was thinking how would I compare what the fitted clubs are doing vs. my current clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                    I have my fitting this Saturday, but have a question; do I bring my own clubs? I was thinking how would I compare what the fitted clubs are doing vs. my current clubs?
                    It would be ideal to bring your own clubs to get a baseline.
                    TP5X 2024
                    Ghost Katana

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Time to update this thread, it's been over a year, a lot went on and well TXG Burlington doesn't exist anymore but wanted to get my bag finally set and did that today, well 98% done.

I would like to preface this by saying I'm not affiliated with TXG in anyway, I'm not given any compensation or discount. If I was I wouldn't have paid what I did today for my clubs. I would also do this with any other fitter good or bad that I went to, this is more for people to see the difference a fitting can do for their game.

Last year I focused on getting the most important areas of my game covered in irons, wedges and putter. I did my driver as well cause I needed something that didn't suck as much as my old one. I planned to do the rest of my woods along with driver shaft, I bought a BOGO deal way back and added a putter fitting since I didn't do a quintic fitting and wanted to see what I fit into and how I roll certain set ups for custom putters. I went in this morning planning to get a new 3 Wood, possibly hybrid if not just a shaft and a new driver shaft as well.

So my 3W and hybrid are not fit for me, I just bought them either on clearance or in the bargain bin, they work sometimes but most they're erratic and that's never good on the course, I'll try and keep this short and sweet, obviously everything I have was tested first.

I wasn't really sure what I wanted, didn't get to look at much before my fitting due to COVID obviously. I pretty much said "I'm open to anything and everything we'll worry about price later" basically making Chris' job easier plus I kinda realized early on into the fit my 3W and hybrid will be in my bag for a while same with my driver. So spending an extra $50-100 on a shaft that will be in my bag for at least half a decade will be more than worth it. This is also a good reason to get fit.

3 Wood - Old: Cobra King F7 15.5° w/ Tensei Blue 60S

Up first was the 3W, did my baseline swings then the fun part began, first up was a TS2 15° w/ VA Slay 75, heard good things and interested in this shaft but after 3 snap hooks this was done, I thought "oh boy it's gonna be one of those days for me" but gotta keep swinging. Next came the same TS2 head with an Accra TZ6 75 shaft and much better but the ball was ballooning loosing me a ton of distance and consistency so we continue on. Next was a Ping G410 LST 13° w/ Tensei Orange 70 it was better than the TS2 but not the one. Then we tried a Mavrick 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro TS 8X and again it was better but was also ballooning too much, just missing out, we wanted that low flying missile and this just wasn't it. Back to the G410 we went this time with an Aldila 2KXV Green 75X and we have found that missile we wanted, I found an extra gear with this setup and the piercing flight, more distance and tighter dispersion. I think I added just over 20 yards in the air compared to my old one.

New: Ping G410 LST 13° w/ Aldila 2KXV Green 75X. It's ordered and waiting for it to be built.

Hybrid - Old: Ping G410 19° w/ Alta CB 70R

I'm sure you saw my post about ditching my hybrid for a 3i or UI and well all the issues that I had with my hybrid I had the club that can best fix it. Plus seeing as my driver and now 3W are both Ping G410 it would have been either dumb to try something else, just match everything up top. Plus it saved me a bit of money not having to buy a new head and can spend extra on a shaft.

We started off with a Tensei White 100TX, and it took me a few swings to adjust, I went from 70 to 100g and from R flex to TX, big jumps everywhere but it was already looking better and I adjusted fast, but didn't stand out. Next we tried an Accra FX 2.0 200H not bad but ballooning so this didn't last long, again we're looking for low/mid missile since I launch high normally. We then went back to the Tensei White but set the head to flat and the missile launch began but dispersion wasn't as tight as we wanted, plus the 100 might have been a touch heavy but on the right track. Then tried the Accra TZ6 85 M5 and again this was better but I was just missing that little bit of contact, it was flying nice but you just didn't get the sound you get when you hit it flush, I just couldn't time that shaft perfect. So we're right there flat setting and a counter balanced shaft, enter the Tensei CK Orange Pro 90TX and it timed up perfectly, I was getting everything I wanted, I was dropping balls on the green like nothing and found that flush sound over and over, hybrid shaft found. My swing was feeling good and getting work done.

New: Ping G410 19° w/ Tensei CK Orange Pro 90TX

Driver - Old: Ping G410 w/ Tour 65S

Remember when I said my swing was feeling good? Well went away with the driver, honestly my driver swing is very erratic, I played Thursday and it was great, guess I used up all my good swing. We tried a few shafts, me getting frustrated and tried at this point, I was swinging a lot honestly. We decided that nothing at this moment would be worth buying, the Tour 65S shaft works, maybe an X flex would be better but my new 3W can take the place of my driver for now. In the mean time with the money I didn't waste on a new shaft I can and will put those towards lessons, I was planning on lessons but COVID and lack of work put a stop to that for now. I will seek out some lessons and come fall/winter I'll try again.

Putter

I wasn't planning on buying a new putter, honestly I don't like majority of the OEM offerings and what I like OEM's don't offer so I was going the custom route anyways. So I just wanted to see what worked and didn't work for me, I brought my gamer in my Edel E-3, my favorite to look at in my TP Mills Handmade with a flow neck and a SIK Tour Proto. The Edel I aimed well but the roll wasn't great, still have too much weight in the handle so will replace the grip and should clean things up. Next was the TP Mills and I was getting green and blue on a lot of categories, Chris suggested I dump the Edel and go with the TP Mills for now. Then tried the SIK which is just your standard plumbers neck Anser 2 style, just with some face mill tech, roll was great, on par with the TP Mills so a touch short for me, I think I will throw in a graphite shaft into the SIK and see how it plays. I also got my lie angle which is great and length that works best to me, so I can order customs in the right specs for me.

I also tried the LAB Golf DF2.1, they didn't have a LH to try so I just putted with a RH for feel and honestly it's solid in terms of feel and looking down it's not that bad since you're not focusing too much on anything behind the shaft and this is coming from a blade user. I know it's ugly but if I sink enough putts the money I win from my friends will pay for it.

So there we go long read but hopefully informative, my bag is now 98% fit, just that shaft to go after many lessons and I'll do that in the winter when I do my wedges which are probably on the back end of their life span.

I will do a follow up on why I write these posts and what I hope people get from it.
                        TP5X 2024
                        Ghost Katana

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience in such details. My question would be... how much it cost you to fit the whole bag... if you don't mind disclosing it?

Comment

MattM97 ...the Ping Tour 65S is a solid shaft....paired with a Ping 410 head....I assume that's a great combo....so I'm thinking if you can't hit that driver....as you said...lesson are in order.

I'll be interested in an update on the new 3W, hybrid and putter when you play some REAL golf and see if the upgrades were worth it.

For me....I can hit great shots off a mat...but the results don't always replicate on REAL grass and golf.

Comment

Great updates, thanks for sharing.
                              Cool that your FW shaft ended up being a $cheap NV 2KXV and not some pricey exotic -> shows that it was all about the best fit and not a boutique price-point.
                              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post
                                Thanks for sharing your experience in such details. My question would be... how much it cost you to fit the whole bag... if you don't mind disclosing it?
                                I don't mind, I have my WITB in my signature so that can be looked up. But keep in mind I didn't buy everything at once this was spread out over 2 years. Also note a few things like my hybrid and wedges I bought used/discounted/demo/etc so prices may seem low.

Driver - Ping G410 Plus Tour 65S - $700 I bought this right when it came out and I think first to order one from TXG.
                                3W - Ping G410 LST ($300) - Aldila 2KXV Green 75X ($175) - $475
                                Hybrid - Ping G410 ($180) - Tensei Orange Pro - ($240) - $420
                                Irons - Srixon 585/785 w/ AMT White Tour - $1300 - Srixon has a huge stock shaft offering.
                                Wedges - I paid about $75 a wedge on average so $225 for 3 wedge
                                Putter - I have several but say $350 have some that cost more and some that cost less.

Total: $3470 that doesn't include tax so closer to $4000

Kinda expensive now that I look at it but I know this bag is fit for me and I don't see myself changing much. Obviously wedges will rotate when they wear out and I do like my putters but I usually buy and sell/trade. I also did this over 3 years so not too bad and honestly I could do a lot more damage in other hobbies in less time.
                                TP5X 2024
                                Ghost Katana

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse