Collapse

measuring club length

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measuring club length

(Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.)

Is there a standard method for measuring the length of a club? One take (IMO) would be to measure from where the line that touches just at the bottom of the club head (and say parallel to any actual or imaginary score lines) intersects the shaft axis/line, to the butt end of the shaft.
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

here is an interesting way of finding the length and it takes the lie into consideration, as described by Jeff Summit from Hireko Golf.

Best selling author and Hireko Technical Director Jeff Summitt gives us another method to measure golf club length. Part 2 of 3.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      here is an interesting way of finding the length and it takes the lie into consideration, as described by Jeff Summit from Hireko Golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1sovFK802w
      Thanks. I don't have a 48" ruler and would only want to try to create something similar if I had something thin (as opposed to a piece of wood).

I did create a small template of different lies and intersecting lines on a cue card. The method Mr. Summit is showing suggests I'm on the right track, i.e. the bottom of the club face and the lie are germane. Being too far off with the lie can create a material measurement error.

Comment

MFM, go to Home depot and pick up 2 yardsticks, overlap them 12 inches on one end and glue them together.

Don't knock yourself out on the exactness because all clubs will be relative in the set.

besides, the true length is 1/4" from the top of the cap.
        Last edited by bl8d; Feb 9, 2019, 04:23 PM.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

MFM, go to Home depot and pick up 2 yardsticks, overlap them 12 inches on one end and glue them together.
          Thanks for that idea. I can probably use that thought to jury-rig something from what I have on hand.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E459AA1E-E3DC-4AFE-8779-84D5E4DC44B6.png
Views:	284
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2920441 Lie angle MUST be taken into consideration when measuring length..

the template that is demonstrated in bl8d’s video will give you a decent measurement.

For a modestly small output of cash this is what I have used for a dozen years, it’s the best out there and a must for any clubmaker, hobbyist or occasional tinkerer.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	E459AA1E-E3DC-4AFE-8779-84D5E4DC44B6.png
Views:	284
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2920441 Lie angle MUST be taken into consideration when measuring length..

the template that is demonstrated in bl8d’s video will give you a decent measurement.

For a modestly small output of cash this is what I have used for a dozen years, it’s the best out there and a must for any clubmaker, hobbyist or occasional tinkerer.

Thanks. After mapping out the geometry, one can see that a lie error of say 5 degrees -- centered on a face width of say 4" -- can create a measurement error in the order of 3/8" - 1/2".

I was at a GT once and asked someone in the shop area how long a certain club was. They just slammed it into a fixed jig and gave me a measurement, while I stood there and wondered how much error there might be due to the fixed lie angle they were using.

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

Thanks. After mapping out the geometry, one can see that a lie error of say 5 degrees -- centered on a face width of say 4" -- can create a measurement error in the order of 3/8" - 1/2".

I was at a GT once and asked someone in the shop area how long a certain club was. They just slammed it into a fixed jig and gave me a measurement, while I stood there and wondered how much error there might be due to the fixed lie angle they were using.
                Well it’s Golftown , that was your first mistake
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Or, you could use the method described in the Golf Equipment Rules (the official method).Click image for larger version

Name:	club lenth measurement.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2920502

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                    Or, you could use the method described in the Golf Equipment Rules (the official method).Click image for larger version

Name:	club lenth measurement.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2920502
                    Well that's an interesting curve. That fixed angle pretty much splits the range of lie angles one would see (except for putters).

Comment

And the official way utilising a 60* lie angle will produce errors. Pete's rule is a far more accurate method and will produce correct ground to end of shaft measurements.
                      Some measuring tools lift the shaft off the scale due to head shape - especially in drivers. This creates errors as well.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

[QUOTE=bl8d;n2920437]MFM, go to Home depot and pick up 2 yardsticks, overlap them 12 inches on one end and glue them together.

Don't knock yourself out on the exactness because all clubs will be relative in the set.

besides, the true length is 1/4" from the top of the cap.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that it was 1/8 for the grip cap.Not that big a deal as long as one is consistent. And while I always appreciate your takes I think it would just much simpler to just buy a 48 inch ruler a Rona's
                        English and metric gradations. 2 in. wide. Made of high-grade, tempered aluminum with anodized finish. Gradations are screen-printed on both sides wi...

ManFromMoffat

The following might interest you if you don't want to invest money in a professional
                        ruler.

What sort of errors/differences do the new club rulers have compared to the old?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tintin;n2920939]

besides, the true length is 1/4" from the top of the cap.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that it was 1/8 for the grip cap.Not that big a deal as long as one is consistent. And while I always appreciate your takes I think it would just much simpler to just buy a 48 inch ruler a Rona's
                          English and metric gradations. 2 in. wide. Made of high-grade, tempered aluminum with anodized finish. Gradations are screen-printed on both sides wi...

ManFromMoffat

The following might interest you if you don't want to invest money in a professional
                          ruler.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...hop-pics-incd/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-length-ruler/

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/measure/ruler.php
                          I've been using the 1/4". I just checked a Golfpride tour wrap grip that I opened up for a tourlock weight. The thickness of the end cap measures very close to 3/16" so I think we can split the difference.

I have my own jig, but I will check Rona for the 48"

interesting that Tutelman ,for his own purposes, finds the official 60* stop very adequate. The Hi-Lo lie variation producing a difference within .08

and this is short of brilliant
                          http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-length-ruler/
                          Last edited by bl8d; Feb 10, 2019, 11:10 PM.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

[QUOTE=bl8d;n2921008]
                            Originally posted by Tintin View Post

I've been using the 1/4". I just checked a Golfpride tour wrap grip that [I] I opened up for a tourlock weight. The thickness of the end cap measures very close to 3/16" so I think we can split the difference.

[/URL]
                            We can meet half way Hireko, Golfworks and most recommend 1/8 but Wishon and others have a different take:

Cheers

Comment

Thanks ALL for the comments and links. Some really good resources and ideas. I like something I can use on a bench (or the kitchen island ).

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X