Collapse

My Edel Putter Fitting Experience

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Edel Putter Fitting Experience

Back again with a new fitting experience, this time it's for an Edel putter and through Modern Golf this time.

So I'm a bit of a putter fanatic and one thing I've noticed when getting back into golf is the lack of putter fitting advancements. Yes there are things like Quintic and SAM Putt Lab, but for the most part with putters I find you fit into a stroke type, get a selection of putters that work for you and see what you're the most efficient with and what you like the most. The way I see putter fittings is you have to make it work for you where club fittings the clubs are built around you. Not exactly a great thing for the club you use the most in a round.

I came across Edel like I'm sure many others have as well in reviews, searches or top lists. I looked into them more and found videos of their putter fittings. You can see one done with Dave Edel the founder fitting a member of GolfWRX for a putter on YouTube along with other certified fitters, it's very different and like a traditional club fitting the putter is built around you from head, fitters have 3 head options both LH and RH. Edel has 3 more styles on their site. Then hosel shape, sight lines (some work and don't work depending on your aim), etc, etc. It's close to a full custom putter. I won't get into too much detail about their putters, tons of info out there this is more on the review.

So lucky for us Edel has a certified fitter at Peak Performance Golf in Vaughan just around the corner from Vaughan Mills. The fitter is Ryan and he's affiliated with Modern Golf if you're curious, the cost of a fitting is $113 tax included.

We started by testing my current gaming putter which is/was an Evnroll ER2. This is done by putting a magnetic mirror on the putter face and bouncing a laser off it and back onto a mat. Ryan uses the hole with the laser on a puck behind it. Usually it's just aiming at the puck but Ryan said it was easier to aim at the hole. So my putter when I thought was square was not, I forget but I was wide left or right of the hole on a 6ft putt, bound to miss more than hit. Basically stating the putter was not suited for me (this was not a push to buy an Edel I'll say why later).

So now we built my putter, I'm not one for blades but went with their blade (E-3) despite liking their mallet (E-1) for some reason. I also went to a 36" putter vs 35" just length along helped, my back wasn't sore the entire fitting. So we do the same test with no alignment aids and already got closer to the hole when aiming, then we added alignment aids, Ryan asked what I liked for alignment and said dot on top and line or two behind. Ryan said with how I aimed that might not be best for me but no harm trying. He tried what he suggest would work for me and it was further off, then tried what I said and it worked for me and I was aiming right at the hole. I was an odd case for this but that's why they can add alignment aids during the fitting.

The putter is now built and time to add weights. We tested my aim with the bare putter, a straight putt at 6ft and I sunk 7/10. Then into speed control putting a single putt starting at 6ft and increasing 6ft every time to 36ft. I ended up putting the 30 and 36ft putt short and the rest long on misses if I missed. We played with weights more, trying this test again getting to the point Ryan built me a counterbalanced putter and gave me a few tips on my putter stroke on what to do for speed control. After a few more tinkers we landed on a setup he and I was happy with, I was putting all my putts within 2ft and was sinking a few long putts with ease with a R to L break not straight.

We then went back to the straight 6ft putt and this time i went 9/10 and missed the 1 just being lazy. This was a night and day feel on my putter, way more confidence on a putter vs my old which isn't a bad putter by any means. Ryan then got me a quick quote, the putter is $375 USD and the price can go up depending on the extra's I put on it and also the exchange rate but my putter would be $500 as are all other Edel putters. Ryan knew this was and is a lot and had no pressure to sell, I did mention I'm doing a bag fitting and this would wait, he understood and gave me advice on setting up one of my putters to better work for me until I can pull the trigger on the Edel.

I think I'll be getting this putter in a few months after saving up and selling some of my other putters/clubs. I had a real positive experience, I do think this putter could help me out vs me just having a revolving door of putters in my bag and who knows after a year might get the mallet if this works for me.

I covered a lot, but still a lot left out so you're not reading a novel. If you have anymore questions for me I'll answer. If they're about other stuff I cannot answer I'll point you towards Ryan or Modern Golf for those answers.
    Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
    3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
    3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
    Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
    Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
    Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
    TP5X 2024
    Ghost Katana

Sweet! Great story - hope you get the Edel sooner than later. Do a TGN Crowdfundme...lol. I am a putter wh*re and have spent enough on premium putters over the past 10 years to buy a small car. Many TGN'rs have benefitted by buying my failures at substantial discounts.
    I took a giant step back near the end of last season and picked up a Rossie - old tech under $100. It worked and helped my putting substantially, but it may be time to pull the trigger on a putter fitting. Did my irons and driver so time to do the club that costs me the most strokes. Thanks for tipping me in the right direction.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
      Sweet! Great story - hope you get the Edel sooner than later. Do a TGN Crowdfundme...lol. I am a putter wh*re and have spent enough on premium putters over the past 10 years to buy a small car. Many TGN'rs have benefitted by buying my failures at substantial discounts.
      I took a giant step back near the end of last season and picked up a Rossie - old tech under $100. It worked and helped my putting substantially, but it may be time to pull the trigger on a putter fitting. Did my irons and driver so time to do the club that costs me the most strokes. Thanks for tipping me in the right direction.
      I am doing a Go Fund Me. It's buy my old gear so I can buy new gear lol.

I haven't spent a ton on putters...or so I say. But I wanted to do a putter fitting and the price of an Edel is comparable to many other high end putters. Plus it's a lot better than trying to self fit, I mean I could but this is easier and cheaper.

I still have time to think this over while I save up and sell things but I might as well pull the trigger and stick with 1 or 2 putters rather than 5 or 6.
      TP5X 2024
      Ghost Katana

Comment

Reviving this old thread of mine because there is an update to this as I went and got my Edel refit by none other than Dave Edel this past weekend (09-08-2019) while he was at TXG.

I was having big issues with speed control and figured it's nothing more than a weight issues and rather than try and tinker myself why not have the man behind the putter check me out. For anyone not wanting to read the entire thing above my putter has a head weight of 345g with a 6g weight for a total of 351g, I also have a counter balance of 50g near the bottom of the grip, 75g at the top of the shaft and a 100g grip for a counter balance weight of 225g. So total with shaft my putter weights something like 600g or 1.5lbs, that's a heavy putter.

Anyways I walk in and most of the TXG team is there along with Dave. I greet everyone and then explain to Dave what I'm there for he takes my putter, inspects it and I give him all the info about the weighting and my issues. First thing he does is check my swing plane by leading my hands back in my swing and turns out my trail arm is closed, this comes in handy later.

Next is we didn't bother testing in the putting area as Dave said it was way too fast and this is an issues with many putting areas for fittings. This was even an issue where I was fit as I remember the "greens" were insanely fast and that's probably why I was put into such a heavy putter, but in reality greens I play on are much, much slower leading to many short putts. So we went over to a fitting bay and putted on the turf there, Dave set up a string and had me putt to it to see my speed control and like usual I was all over the place sending it long or sort with my putter, Dave went off and built up a putter the same as mine just different weighting mainly 12g in the head vs 6g and we would play with the counter balance weight.

I then hit putts to the string and Dave kept playing around with the weight in the handle, after a few putts he asked if he could give/make a technical change which I'm not against if it means more putts. He strongly suggested that I change to a claw grip from a tradition grip since my trail arm is closed so when in a traditional grip it naturally wants to turn over and I end up pulling putts often. We get me into the claw grip and a few more grip adjustments and get back to putting. After a few putts I get the feel of the claw grip since I've used it in the past and my putts start to get much better, and we continue with the weight adjustments to find a weight that I'm comfortable with.

While we were doing this Phatchrisrules was watching the entire fit and mentioned how the roll on my putts were looking much better, more end over end and I was getting the ball to the string more so I was controlling my speed a lot easier and the putter felt better in my hands. Dave gave me a few more tips and advice from bad habits I developed using such a heavy putter. A few more putts and we had my putter again.

The difference in my old putter specs and my new one is a 12g weight in the had so a new head weight of 357g, I also have a weight kit now so I can go up or down depending on the greens I'm playing that day. The old 75g weight at the top of my grip will be removed and the 50g weight will be positioned an inch lower I believe and I'll keep the 100g grip which I may switch to a Flat Cat Tak Standard and install it Justin Rose style so it's easier to grip. But I'll try that out on a few other putters I have first before playing it on my main gamer. Luckily that grip is cheap from Flat Cat directly so I'll order a bunch of them.

The putter is currently in the hands of TXG who will make the necessary changes, until I get it back I'll work on the claw grip with a few other changes that Dave gave me. Hopefully the changes he made along with the changes i need to make will make a difference in my score. I still have the confidence in this putter as it was built for me and for some reason if nothing changes I'll be investing in putting lessons instead of a new putter.

I'll update after I get it back and play a few rounds with it.
        TP5X 2024
        Ghost Katana

Comment

Nice report ! Great to be fit by the Man himself.
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
              Nice report ! Great to be fit by the Man himself.

For sure, saves me a trip down to Texas. Now if other putter/club makers do an exclusive fittings at TXG.
              TP5X 2024
              Ghost Katana

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse