Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Wood Screw Manufacturer in Canada ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Wood Screw Manufacturer in Canada ?

I'm rebuilding a middle 1930's Men's R/H Walter Hagen spoon. The face insert is a "Fancy Face". To remove the face insert I had to remove a #14 x 1 1/4 " long aluminum wood screw. It's highly likely it was a " slot drive" . Does anyone at T.G.N. ( Dekker? ) know of a domestic aluminum wood screw manufacturer that might make large shank aluminum wood screws?
    Blair
    St. Catharines
    Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca

Attached Files
    Last edited by Maxwell; May 8, 2019, 04:56 PM.
    " One Day At A Time"

Originally posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm rebuilding a middle 1930's Men's R/H Walter Hagen spoon. The face insert is a "Fancy Face". To remove the face insert I had to remove a #14 x 1 1/4 " long aluminum wood screw. It's highly likely it was a " slot drive" . Does anyone at T.G.N. ( Dekker? ) know of a domestic aluminum wood screw manufacturer that might make large shank aluminum wood screws?
    Blair
    St. Catharines
    Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca

bl8d is your man IIRC he posted this on a previous occasion.

Comment

Blair, I remember you had a similar query about aluminum screws sometime back.I looked through my reply history on this forum but it doesn't go back that far.
      the real problem will be the "slot" type as most wood screws of that type are Robertson and if you're lucky Phillips.
      The other difficulty will be finding the aluminum screw with the correct taper. Depending on use some are 60* others are 90* and some are 120*countersink.
      Be sure to mention the counter sink taper to the supplier. press some plasticene into the hole to mold the countersink taper. the angle should be easy to discern from the mold.
      I know staying historically correct in your rework is important to you.
      check you personal reply history by clicking on your name and scrolling down your recent replies.
      saw your post on Golfwrx re. this and hope some of the really knowledgeable guys there can help you. cheers.
      Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
      Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
      Ping i25 5w PWR75s
      Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
      Ping ISI W2, W3
      Cal i-Trax

Comment

Thanks bl8d....I'll keep looking. I have the #14 aluminum wood screw out of the club head so I can check the taper. I'll keep that in mind. Blair
        " One Day At A Time"

Comment

any luck Blair?
          Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
          Ping i25 5w PWR75s
          Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
          Ping ISI W2, W3
          Cal i-Trax

Comment

No...not yet Dekker. I did find a Distributor in Florida but I had to purchase 100 pieces and they were $1.20 CDN. a piece.I have been to one " Flea Market " but had no success. Posted a " Want Ad " on Kijiji...no one emailed yet. Tried Leyland Fasteners of Canada. They were very interested but.....couldn't help me. Keep looking.
            Blair
            " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Not to butt in or anything, and I wouldn't know old clubs unless they had wood shafts. I'm just curious. Is it likely that this aluminium screw is original to the club. All the old(60's) woods that I have ever seen had brass wood screws in them. I would think brass or steel would be much more common. Wouldn't an aluminium screww be expensive for that time period? Again just really wondering

Comment

Wlorcb(Tavistock)....I honestly don't know if aluminum wood screws manufactured in the 30's were expensive or not. Blair
                " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Dekker.....I received a phone call yesterday from a Dale Litton of Grimsby. He asked me if I could restore a persimmon wood golf club for him that belonged to a woman who's Grandfather played a game of golf with Walter Hagen. The man's name was Harry McGill. His wife's name was Helen.They were members of the Ancaster Golf & Country Club (Hamilton). I don't know if the club in question was used in the match or was a gift from Hagen to Harry McGill or not. All I know is that when restored it will be returned to the living desendant of Harry and Helen McGill. She's 93 year old. She will be giving the driver to the golf club to be put on display. Very thoughtful of her. The club is a 1930's Men's R/H Walter Hagen chromed steel shaft driver. It is a deep face.
                  ( 2 1/8") and it's called a," Bludgeon" . I have one in original condition. John Hayes(PersimmonPal) once restored one. John wrote," it had the deepest face of any persimmon wood driver I ever worked on". Mr. Litton and I are planning to get together sometime next week.
                  Feeling better and the Heart Rehab is coming along slowly. Donna is helping Katie(our daughter) with her baby shower today. The baby is due within the next 6 weeks, Swung a club Friday night at Legends on the Niagara practice area. The left shoulder was fine. I tore the rotator cuff. last September. Yesterday morning we attended," Aqua Babies" at the Kiwanis Pool here in St. Catharines and watched our daughter-in-law Jolene and baby Elsa frollick in the pool with all the other babies. Our son Raymond sat with Donna and I and watched it all unfold. One of the highlights of being a Grandparent.
                  Blair
                  Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca
                  Last edited by Maxwell; Jun 2, 2019, 06:44 AM.
                  " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Dekker.....I received a phone call yesterday from a Dale Litton of Grimsby. He asked me if I could restore a persimmon wood golf club for him that belonged to a woman who's Grandfather played a game of golf with Walter Hagen. The man's name was Harry McGill. His wife's name was Helen.They were members of the Ancaster Golf & Country Club (Hamilton). I don't know if the club in question was used in the match or was a gift from Hagen to Harry McGill or not. All I know is that when restored it will be returned to the living desendant of Harry and Helen McGill. She's 93 year old. She will be giving the driver to the golf club to be put on display. Very thoughtful of her. The club is a 1930's Men's R/H Walter Hagen chromed steel shaft driver. It is a deep face.
                    ( 2 1/8") and it's called a," Bludgeon" . I have one in original condition. John Hayes(PersimmonPal) once restored one. John wrote," it had the deepest face of any persimmon wood driver I ever worked on". Mr. Litton and I are planning to get together sometime next week.
                    Feeling better and the Heart Rehab is coming along slowly. Donna is helping Katie(our daughter) with her baby shower today. The baby is due within the next 6 weeks, Swung a club Friday night at Legends on the Niagara practice area. The left shoulder was fine. I tore the rotator cuff. last September. Yesterday morning we attended," Aqua Babies" at the Kiwanis Pool here in St. Catharines and watched our daughter-in-law Jolene and baby Elsa frollick in the pool with all the other babies. Our son Raymond sat with Donna and I and watched it all unfold. One of the highlights of being a Grandparent.
                    Blair
                    Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca
                    Blair I am sorry to hear of the health issue. Glad to hear the shoulder is coming along. The heart issue I wasn't aware of, and my best to you in that regard. Take comfort in holding your grandchildren. They are a privilege to watch..
                    I hope all goes well with you and your family in the years too come

The Hagen driver appears to have a history that will makes your effort worthwhile and a treasure for Helen McGill and her descendants..Hagen won the 1931 Canadian Open at the Mississauga club and undoubtedly have taken the time to play at the Ancaster G&C course while in the vicinity.

What I should have pointed out earlier is that the aluminum screw has an Archimedes style thread. That thread style is very unusual and makes the replacement search more difficult for you. I would recommend you find a model train club or steam engine club and put your request to them.They often have one in their group that has a hobby lathe (including milling attachment) that lets them make every conceivable part of their models. They love a challenge.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it. Cheers.
                    Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
                    Ping i25 5w PWR75s
                    Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
                    Ping ISI W2, W3
                    Cal i-Trax

Comment

Blair
                      Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca
                      Sorry to hear about your heart issues and rehab, hope all goes well for you. Have an appointment soon to discuss options regarding a replacement heart valve with my cardiologist, seems they have some new not too invasive surgery for this, apparently invented/discovered right here in Canada.

About those screws while browsing I came across this company and I know it is probably a shot in the dark but maybe just maybe they can direct you where to find the screws you are looking for:
                      https://louisvillegolf.com
                      https://louisvillegolf.com/pages/repairs

Another option I thought of was browsing ebay and or garage sales starting soon for a similar club on the cheap that you could use the screws from.

Comment

Blair, you might find this article interesting. There is mention of Babe Ruth's custom driver that he used, a 'Bludgeon" . The time frame is spot on.

https://canadiangolftraveller.com/do...ike-babe-ruth/
                        Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
                        Ping i25 5w PWR75s
                        Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
                        Ping ISI W2, W3
                        Cal i-Trax

Comment

Thanks for your replies 4underthru9 and bl8d - Blair
                          " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,030   Posts: 1,777,729   Members: 46,476   Active Members: 288
                          Welcome to our newest member, jaxon.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X