Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low spin player needs a high spinning driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low spin player needs a high spinning driver

Hey nuts,

I found out yesterday that I have remarkably low spin with my driver (can't get over 2000, most are low 1000's to under 1000). I'm currently gaming an M3 but it is not doing me any favors as it is a lower spinning head. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the higher spinning driver heads are, not going further back than 2-3 years.

Sounds like you need a driver head with

1) More loft - like 3 degrees more loft (3 degrees would add 900 rpms)

2) A center of gravity located more to the rear

For new, maybe try a 12 degree Ping G410

For used, Ping, Cobra, Taylormade and others offered 12 degree drivers. The Taylormade M4 comes in a 12 degree version.

Ping, Cobra and M4 drivers will also all tend to have a more rearward center of gravity
    Last edited by ctv1; Jun 7, 2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

When I was fit last spring I found out the exact same thing as you. I'm a low spin player. With the M3, my spin numbers were very similar to yours. I ended up with a 10.5 PING G400Max.
      What's in the bag?
      Ping G400Max 10.5 Accra Tour Zx 475 M5
      Ping G410 17.5 Accra Tour Zx 275 M5
      Titleist 816H1 21& 25 DG X100
      Callaway X-Forged 5-PW DG X7
      Cleveland RTX 3 51,56,62 DG X100/S400
      Odyssey O Works 1W

Comment

A Titleist 915 @ 10.5* will help.
        King Cobra F8+ 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 A
        Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R
        Cobra F8 5 wood 18.5*, Tensei Blue A
        Ping i10 4-pw, AMT S
        Miura "Mind the Gap" 51*, Recoil F3

Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54*, CFS Wedge Flex
        Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta CB 70 R
        Evnroll ER6
        Srixon ZStar XV Ball

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

That low spin is an impact and or swing speed issue.

A low vs high spin driver head alone is maybe 400 to 500rpm spin. Check face impact. Also what shaft are u using and flex. Whats ur tempo and speed like
          Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
          3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
          5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
          3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
          Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
          Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
          Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

I know you said 2-3 years, but before you plunk down some serious money why not try a reputable higher spinning driver like this Titleist 907 D2 that is a very affordable experiment.
            https://www.globalgolf.ca/golf-clubs...2-driver/used/

the 907D2 is a fairway finder, and the Aldila "by you" shaft will keep the spin at a manageable 3000.
            Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
            Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
            Ping i25 5w PWR75s
            Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
            Ping ISI W2, W3
            Cal i-Trax

Comment

What's causing this? I got the same issue right now. I'm around 107-110mph SS and the smash factors average 1.48 to 1.49, even got a few at 1.51 on Trakman. Was only getting about 270ish yards. Playing the 917 D3 tried a few shafts recommended by the Titleist guy at the demo but the number was just around 1600rpm. Would really like to gather some sound opinions on this.
              Titleist 917 D3 - Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 74
              Taylormade R15 TP 3 Wood
              Titleist 714 MB - Project X
              Nike Method 001 Putter
              Titleist Prov1-X

Comment

Originally posted by EagleManiac View Post
                What's causing this? I got the same issue right now. I'm around 107-110mph SS and the smash factors average 1.48 to 1.49, even got a few at 1.51 on Trakman. Was only getting about 270ish yards. Playing the 917 D3 tried a few shafts recommended by the Titleist guy at the demo but the number was just around 1600rpm. Would really like to gather some sound opinions on this.
                Isn't max smash factor 1.50?

Comment

Low spin and high smash factor is a really good thing. It means your swing is very efficient.

But to keep the ball from falling out of the air, especially on mishits, more spin would be better. Adding spin is easily done, 1 degree of loft adds 300 / 350 rpm. If your spin numbers are 1600 the fix would be to simply use the next higher loft head. ie Use a 10.5 instead of a 9 degree head or a 12 degree instead of a 10.5. There is no shaft that can provide this large a spin increase.

Because of the way Trackman measures driver head speed and then calculates smash factor it can result in smash factor numbers being too high.

Comment

Originally posted by parbreaker View Post

Isn't max smash factor 1.50?
                    That's what I always thought. That was the first time I seen that on Trakman.
                    Titleist 917 D3 - Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 74
                    Taylormade R15 TP 3 Wood
                    Titleist 714 MB - Project X
                    Nike Method 001 Putter
                    Titleist Prov1-X

Comment

There are 2 primary technologies used in launch monitors.

QCQuad, which takes pictures, utilizes markers on the head so it can accurately measure club head movement (speed, rotation, impact point, etc) when the ball is hit.

Trackman's radar based technology isn't able to be as accurate on the clubhead data. It's radar just sees an object moving through the air. This is what can lead to Trackman having erroneous smash factor numbers being calculated.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,000   Posts: 1,777,288   Members: 46,469   Active Members: 296
                      Welcome to our newest member, kylegolfer.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                      X