Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season summary after being fit last winter for clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season summary after being fit last winter for clubs

With the season beginning to wind down, I figure now is good time to reflect on whether getting fit for my driver, 3-wood, irons and putter by Chris at TXG before the season began was worth it.

I've played 90 18-hole rounds and a handful of 9-hole rounds.

Driver: 10/10. Callaway Rogue SZ with a Graphite Design AD GP 55 gram stiff shaft.

Mostly playing the same course for a few years, I obviously have an idea of my usual driver landing zones. Chris gained me about 15-20 yds with my driver this year and I was often easily landing beyond previous season's zones. This year I was able to hit one of my course's par 5s in two (doing it 8-9 times) whereas I had never been able to in previous years. I played once this year with a kid who is on a university golf team that used to work at the course and he commented how much farther I was driving the ball.

3-wood: 9/10. TM M3 HL (set to 15*) with an Aldila Tour Blue 70 gram stiff shaft.

I've been a proponent of the Mini Driver for a few years, carrying a 12 degree Mini and occasionally a 14 as well. The 12 was a fairway finder for me off the tee and I often could hit it well from the fairway. Chris fit me into an M3 HL. For some strange reason, I have difficult hitting shallow faced 3-woods. The M3 HL is a little deeper than other 3-woods but after a handful of rounds I reverted back to my old issue. Distance and feel was great but confidence in hitting it was low. I swapped the M3 HL for an M2 Tour HL (which has a deeper face) and never looked back all season. The shaft recommendation was perfect for me and I hit this club as far and accurately as I did my 12* Mini Driver.

Irons: 10/10.

Playing a few different sets of TM irons with PX 6.0 and KBS shafts the past few years I was curious about trying blades. We went with Mizuno MP18 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I liked the feel of the KBS Tour shafts but there was no comparison once Chris showed me the data --- PX 6.0 shafts were what I should be using and I received an increase in distance of 8-9 yds with my irons. Yes, blades can be unforgiving if you mis-hit them (and yep, I did that often this year) but when you hit them perfect they feel so good! Iirc, Chris commented that I was the first guy he had fit who came in looking for blades that actually ended up being fit into blades. Lol.

Putter: Can't rate it. TM Spider Tour Black with a BGT Stability Shaft.

I had been using an Evnroll centre shafted putter during the summers of '17 and '18 and was happy with it. In the fall of '18 I picked up a like-new TM Spider Tour Black at GT (a guy was trading it in and they offered him $100 --- I overheard the conversation and offered him $120). Doing a putter fitting with Chris we found that the Spider narrowly beat out the Evnroll and that a Stability Shaft would help my stroke as we could see how I was causing the shaft to flex a bit. I was happy with the Spider until about mid-August when I just lost confidence in it (and most of my game). Did getting fit into the Stability Shaft help my putting? The data on their putting fitting machine definitely proved it. Can I quantify it in the greens via data? No. Mentally did it give me confidence? Definitely!

The Spider is now gone and for the past month a Scotty Cameron Laguna, 5s centre shaft and a Golo 3 have been vying for my love (the hosel size is different on these putters so the Stability Shaft I have doesn't fit any of them). The Laguna seems to have won though I'll be back to TXG later this year to do another putter fitting to confirm. I think it needs a slight loft tweak.

-------------------

Confidence with my driver and irons was high throughout the summer. That certainly helps a player's game. Throughout May to mid-August I hovered at about a 2.5 handicap, hitting 1.9 for a few days at my best point. Then mid-August came with some back pain and and my handicap rose to 4.8. That didn't get sorted out until last week after a visit to the chiropractor. I actually shot a personal best a few days ago (-5) with my last four rounds being -5, -1, +2 and -1 (the best four straight rounds I've ever played).

Was it worth being fit by Chris? Yes! Hitting a shot where you've felt the shaft flex and kick perfectly is a great feeling. And knowing you're hitting a club that is correct for you is definitely a confidence booster. If it's a poor shot, it wasn't the club's fault!

And as mentioned in previous posts, I can 100% recommend Chris for a fitting. He definitely made my game more enjoyable and better this season.

I would concur 100%. Fit by Chris for driver (Cobra f9), irons (JPX919 forged) and wedges (vokeys). Got the driver at the beginning of the season and the irons a few weeks ago. My cap started at 18 and now sits at 14. I have had 3 rounds in the 70's. Would I recommend Chris, only if you want to enjoy and play better golf. Thanks to Chris and the whole Team at TXG.
    Sun Mountain C-130
    Ping G30 Driver, G25 4 & 7 wood
    Ping G25 27*
    Ping i20 6 - Sw
    Vokey SM4 58
    Callaway Jaws 64
    Odyssey White Hot # 7
    NXT Tour S

You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

Comment

Thanks for the support guys! Glad you are enjoying the clubs and the handicaps are dropping

Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
      https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
      https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

I'll jump in here too.

I did a wedge and putter fitting with Chris in March and ended buying the recommended wedges; to his credit Chris identified a different putter for me but basically said any improvements were likely to be marginal and probably not worth the money. I love the new wedge set up, particularly my 60* D grind Vokey - I've never hit a full lob wedge before but this is my go to club from about 65 yards in. When he put it in my hands Chris said "let me introduce your new best friend" and he was right!

I went through about six different wedge combinations in '18 but have stuck with these for the entire year. Like Dave, my cap is down - from 18 to 15, index to 14.4, and I've had more rounds (just under 50%) in the 80's than ever before. It obviously isn't entirely due to the wedges - to be honest simply not swapping them out on regular basis probably made a difference as well - but they were the single biggest change in my bag this year.

I should also add that I basically haven't changed putters all season (I switched from an early anser 3 to and even earlier anser but that is not exactly a dramatic move). Again, thanks to the data and insight Chris provided, I figured I was better off working through any bad putting spells rather than trying to 'fix' them with a new cue.

Thanks again Chris
        Last edited by Smittyman; Sep 25, 2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Thats great to hear as I had a friend go to them as well this year (he is not on the board) and he would say the same it was a great experience and he has improved by 5 strokes his handicap since. So obviously these guys know what they are doing.

Comment

Hi everyone. On behalf of TXG we are thrilled you all are enjoying your clubs! Keep up the lower scores.
            Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
            https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
            https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,510   Posts: 1,814,647   Members: 47,100   Active Members: 175
            Welcome to our newest member, Golfcoursesales.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
            X