Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swing Weight and Heavy Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing Weight and Heavy Grips

I've recently put on a bunch of midsize MCC+4 Align grips on my woods and hybrids and I like them better than my old grips, which were midsize Z Chords with 3-4 wraps of tape on the bottom hand. The Z Chord with tape combo likely weighed somewhere between 60-62g in total, while the the MMC+4 is an even heavier grip at 67g alone. When I went to the Z chord setup, my swing weights went from the standard D2-D3 areas to closer to D0. I've been playing a bit with the lighter swing weights as a bit of an experiment and the jury is still out on whether I will leave it this way. As per my fitting last year, I tried heavier swing weights like a D4 and for sure I don't like that at all, so I know that D2 will be the heaviest I will ever go. With MMC+4s, however, my swing weights are starting to go into the C8-C9 territory in my woods and I'm starting to feel this is too light.

My question is, if I switch all my grips to the MMC+ Align, how does everyone deal with the additional weight in the grip and the resulting significant shift in swing weights. If you are coming from a 57g grip to a 67g grip, 10g is a lot of lead tape. Does everyone disassemble their clubs and put lead/brass weights in the shaft ends for everyone one of their clubs? Seems like a lot of work. Any other suggestions?

U dont adjust anything. Adding weight to the back is just a trick into lighter swingweight. But your total weight has still gone up.

If you feel that theyve gotten to light add some head weight. But dont arbitrarily aim for D2 again etc. Maybe D0 is fine with the heavier grips.

theres a big difference between these 3 hypothetical clubs yet u could in theory make em all D2.
    1) heavy head light shaft heavy grip
    2) lighter head super heavy shaft super light grip
    3) average head heavy shaft and light grip.

All may be d2 but have completely different total weights and feel way different.

Even if u take it a step further and assume a bigger control. Where only the grip.changes so same weight shaft and head.

1) head 250gr
    shaft 130gr
    grip 50gr.
    Total of 330gr SW D2.

2) head 250gr
    130gr shaft
    65gr grip
    total of 345gr. This will SW lighter likely D0 or C9 yet its 15grams heavier. If you add 6grams to get back to D2 youre now at 351grams. 21grams heavier tgeb option 1. There is zero chance they feel the same. Your actually closer in real feel leaving it at D0 or so.

The best option is MOI matching with an moi auditor.
    Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
    3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

As the weight of the grip is under your hands, the golf club MOI has not really changed.

The head weight is still the same, the length is still the same, the total weight has increased.

I target all my builds to a swing weight before a grip goes on. This us the important stage. A few grams up or down under your hands will not affect how the club feels.
      Regards
      Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
      True Length Technology TM
      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
      True Frequency Technology TM
      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
      - Master
      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
      - Advanced / Professional
      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
      - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
      Hampton, ON
      Appointment only
      Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
      E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by TLT Dan View Post
        As the weight of the grip is under your hands, the golf club MOI has not really changed.

The head weight is still the same, the length is still the same, the total weight has increased.

I target all my builds to a swing weight before a grip goes on. This us the important stage. A few grams up or down under your hands will not affect how the club feels.
        once again, Dan is correct !

small amounts of weight at the grip end is not important

if you want to reduce weight at the butt end and wear a watch when you golf, take it off or better yet, if you wear a glove, take it off and that would be the equivalent of ~5/6 swing-weight points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76E5lIZ7I0Y
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,814,918   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
        Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
        X