Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My SLDR driver assembly and testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SLDR driver assembly and testing

Probably a waste of your time, but here is a brief summary of my attempt to glue a TM 2nd gen tip to a shaft and test the whole SLDR high-lofted driver.

1) bought a $5 garage sale special, old TM 300 driver with a decent UST yellow stiff shaft.
    2) Had Golftown pull the shaft and discard the old head: $5
    3) Bought a kijiji special, beat up SLDR 12* head for $20
    4) Paid more for epoxy that i needed, but Dollarama (as suggested by snaphooker235 and bl8d) would've been fine at $2.
    5) TM 2nd gen tip from Ebay, $5.

Total cost: $47.

Gluing the tip onto the shaft was an absolutely effortless and super easy job, even with my failing eye sight.

Played today at Braeben (golfnow HOT deal, of course, LOL) completely by myself (total of 5 cars on the parking lot) and had absolutely lovely opportunity to test my NEW driver.

The main finding was that when set to "normal" 12*, i still didn't get enough height with my drives, which is exactly what Mr22putt suggested in another thread. So lucky i had the wrench with me and lofted up to "high" setting, which probably added around 2* of loft, and bingo, nice high drives. But, and as also pointed out by Mr22putt, SLDR is an unforgiving beast of a driver, really boring high trajectory on center hits, but not so on off-center contacts.

Also have an SLDR head in 14* and will try that, when i get out next.

Hope you r still awake after all this Jibber Jabber, LOL

Cheers !
    Last edited by veryold; Oct 16, 2019, 10:44 PM.

Originally posted by veryold View Post
    The main finding was that when set to "normal" 12*, i still didn't get enough height with my drives, which is exactly what Mr22putt suggested in another thread. So lucky i had the wrench with me and lofted up to "high" setting, which probably added around 2* of loft, and bingo, nice high drives. But, and as also pointed out by Mr22putt, SLDR is an unforgiving beast of a driver, really boring high trajectory on center hits, but not so on off-center contacts.

Cheers !
    VO
    Glad you got out old man!

I think you might like the SLDR at 14*.

Here's 2 tips.
    1) Unscrew the weight on the SLDR head....it will make the head lighter and help you develop some club head speed.
    2) Choke up 1/2-3/4" on the shaft....this should allow you to control the club more and hit more shots closer to the sweet spot....critical for the unforgiving SLDR head.

I got a good deal on a used TM M3 driver....I took out one of the 11 gm weights and have the remaining weight way back and towards the heel to make the head more forgiving a draw bias. For me the club feels much lighter with only 1 weight.
    The M3 and Twist Face...make for a pretty forgiving head....much more forgiving than my old TM Jetspeed that it replaced....but the Jetspeed is a pretty forgiving head...the Jetspeed is the baby brother of the SLDR....the Jetspeed was a HUGE marketing failure for TM.....that's why I bought it for only $90 used in 2015...one year after it was launched.

You'd love playing golf here with me in Vancouver...playing twilight and some Redbook 2 for 1 coupons....I've been able to play some good courses from $16-$30 taxes included....golf in the GTA is so expensive...even twilight too.

Comment

Probably a waste of your time, but here is a brief summary of my attempt to glue a TM 2nd gen tip to a shaft and test the whole SLDR high-lofted driver.

1) bought a $5 garage sale special, old TM 300 driver with a decent UST yellow stiff shaft.
      4) Paid more for epoxy that i needed, but Dollarama (as suggested by snaphooker235 and bl8d) would've been fine at $2.

Gluing the tip onto the shaft was an absolutely effortless and super easy job, even with my failing eye sight.

Played today at Braeben (golfnow HOT deal, of course, LOL) completely by myself (total of 5 cars on the parking lot) and had absolutely lovely opportunity to test my NEW driver.

Cheers !
      Probably for the best lol
      Titleist 915 D2
      Titleist 915 F
      Wishon 929 F
      Wishon 775 Hybrid
      PING i5 Irons
      PING Tour S Rustique 52*
      PING Anser 56*
      PING Glide ES 60*
      MannKrafted Rattler XL
      MannKrafted Midwave
      SGC 902 Custom

Comment

My math might be failing faster than your eyesight, but it seems the total cost is actually $37.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

My math might be failing faster than your eyesight, but it seems the total cost is actually $37.

I believe Veryold bought some $12 Gorilla epoxy and then after the fact.......some here told him that Dollar Store $2 epoxy worked well for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
            I believe Veryold bought some $12 Gorilla epoxy and then after the fact.......some here told him that Dollar Store $2 epoxy worked well for them.
            I'm just teasing him. veryold likes to joke about his advanced age, but he looked pretty good when I played with him at Deerfield earlier this year. After walking the course on a hot day, I had to sit in the air conditioned clubhouse for about 15 minutes to recuperate. "Go ahead," he said. "I'll wait for you out here." And that's exactly what he did. I wouldn't be surprised if he did some vigorous calisthenics while I was inside splashing water on my face -- and I'm 30 years younger than him!

Comment

You guys made my day just right now

And ChasingPar, hi there. Ya, the heat doesn't bother me much, but more importantly, you were awesome with your ball striking that day, especially driving.
              ...and have you caught that par yet ?
              Last edited by veryold; Oct 17, 2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

You guys made my day just right now

And ChasingPar, hi there. Ya, the heat doesn't bother me much, but more importantly, you were awesome with your ball striking that day, especially driving.
                ...and have you caught that par yet ?
                It's pretty safe to assume I'll be chasing par for a long time to come. I have a long, long way to go.

That was one of my better rounds of the year. I was able to hit irons off the tee on some of the shorter holes, and when the big dog was really needed, the driver came through.

It was great reading this post about how you put your driver together. I love the resourcefulness. I always enjoy when people roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty to make something happen. Too many people just hand a wad of cash over to someone else in order to make a problem disappear. They learn absolutely nothing in the process. Kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

It's pretty safe to assume I'll be chasing par for a long time to come. I have a long, long way to go.

That was one of my better rounds of the year. I was able to hit irons off the tee on some of the shorter holes, and when the big dog was really needed, the driver came through.

It was great reading this post about how you put your driver together. I love the resourcefulness. I always enjoy when people roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty to make something happen. Too many people just hand a wad of cash over to someone else in order to make a problem disappear. They learn absolutely nothing in the process. Kudos!
                  Hey, really nice post, and thanks so much
                  On the "resourcefulness" comment: yes I like doing and learning things, that's what life is all about. But on top of that, and on the "lighter" side of things, a comment from my old golfing buddy comes to mind many years ago when we were looking for $2 clubs at Goodwill: "beggars cannot be choosers"

Cheers and go get that par soon, i'm sure you'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                    VO
                    Glad you got out old man!

I think you might like the SLDR at 14*.
                    Yes, after setting my 12* head to "HIGHER" setting, which IIANM, is about 14* got really nice and high trajectory.
                    Here's 2 tips.
                    1) Unscrew the weight on the SLDR head....it will make the head lighter and help you develop some club head speed. Great tip, will try that, for sure. Really curious how will that affect the launching angle ?
                    2) Choke up 1/2-3/4" on the shaft....this should allow you to control the club more and hit more shots closer to the sweet spot....critical for the unforgiving SLDR head.
                    Also a great tip, actually, i was trying that a bit already, and really liked it, so after a bit more experimenting may cut down the shaft from the grip end by at least 1", maybe more ?
                    I got a good deal on a used TM M3 driver....I took out one of the 11 gm weights and have the remaining weight way back and towards the heel to make the head more forgiving a draw bias. For me the club feels much lighter with only 1 weight.
                    The M3 and Twist Face...make for a pretty forgiving head....much more forgiving than my old TM Jetspeed that it replaced....but the Jetspeed is a pretty forgiving head...the Jetspeed is the baby brother of the SLDR....the Jetspeed was a HUGE marketing failure for TM.....that's why I bought it for only $90 used in 2015...one year after it was launched. Yes, I read positive things about JETSPEED, and am eyeing one, on a low budget, of course, especially the HL version, which i think is about 13* ?

You'd love playing golf here with me in Vancouver...playing twilight and some Redbook 2 for 1 coupons....I've been able to play some good courses from $16-$30 taxes included....golf in the GTA is so expensive...even twilight too. Ridiculous prices here, for sure, but what really sadden me is the high cost of municipally owned courses here, like $80-$90, give me a break, LOL. Lucky being retired I have plenty of time on my hands, so I can frequently check GOLFNOW, and hunt for hot deals, especially now at Season end.
                    Hey, THANKS SO MUCH for ALL of your comments and GREAT HELP you offered me, really appreciated
                    Some of my own comments are in red, above.
                    Cheers !

Comment

Veryold
                      1) IMO...DON'T cut down the shafts of your drivers...just continue to choke down.
                      I cut down my Jetspeed & RBZ Stage 2 3HL and regretted it.

2) Ya...GTA is a rip off.
                      The 3 Vanc muni's are about $38-$45 for seniors in the summer......they have twilight Redbook coupons....I have played them from $20-$27...few years ago as low as $11.
                      Burnaby Mountain....a really good muni...is $32.25 taxes in during the summer for seniors.....also during bonus ball hours...only $6 (taxes-in) for 75 range balls.

Comment

For a danger of boring you here, i'm bumping my own post, just to mention my AWESOME positive experience with my "new" SLDR buid (and NO, i'm not priming this for any kind of sale, LOL). Played Derrydale couple of days ago, cold day, so I used the softest ball i had in my stash of "found balls" (a ladies Pink colored Noodle ) and hit it so well, i put in the creek, for a total drive of over 240 yards (and no, there isn't a cart path anywhere on this hole, lol). So i hit few more and all went pretty close to the creek, as well, so it wasn't a "one of" kind of thing. Usually, and in the Summer months, too, i'm around 80 yards left to the green, which would make my drives about 210 yards, which is sort of average for me, with my old driver.

The hole with my distances is below.

Oh, the SLDR that i assembled was: SLDR 460 head, 9.5* set 1.5* higher, and a Grafalloy ProLaunch BLUE, 35S (Stiff, i guess), as per attached pics.

And in addition to this 9.5* head, i also "collected" a 12* and a 14* SLDR heads, but Season has ended now, without being able to hit those heads and do some comparison. So if i don't crock out during Winter, it'll be really fun to test them all and see the results.

Cheers to all and may the Winter go fast, and THANKS TO ALL for your wonderful comments, help and support, really APPRECIATED .

Click image for larger version  Name:	MySldrInTheCreekDrive.jpg Views:	0 Size:	595.6 KB ID:	3063036

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191107_194528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	3063058
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191107_194400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	3063059
                        Last edited by veryold; Nov 7, 2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

and hit it so well, i put in the creek, for a total drive of over 240 yards
                          You're
                          YUGE (Hannah font) Old Man.

Comment

Naahh, it's the Pink Noodle ball, for sure
                            Last edited by veryold; Nov 7, 2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,561   Posts: 1,815,166   Members: 47,108   Active Members: 171
                              Welcome to our newest member, Gerg.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X