Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long ago driver shafts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

Harrison Saga, Penley Striper Tour, Accuflex Creation, Apache Orange Crush, Grafalloy BiMatrix. All shafts from a bygone era that's for sure! I don't know if they would hold up currently with all the T1100, nanotubes, Kevlar, etc etc etc but they certainly were popular back then.
    The Striper was a Harrison shaft. Penleys were great and are still around, used to really enjoy the Stealth and the ETA in particular. I've hit those old shafts on a launch monitor and they do just fine.

OG Speeder 757, 652, Graman UL540, Accuflex Icon v2, Accra SE80, just to name a few more oldie but goodies.

FB:mcmahongolf | twitter: @mcmahongolfca | Instagram: mcmahongolf

WITB:
    - Taylormade M1 460 9.5 (Mitsubishi Diamana w60)
    - Geotech SP 3wood (ACCRA SE80*)
    - Taylormade Rescue Mid TP 19 degrees
    - Geotech GPM Tour P.Blade 3-PW (KBS Tour)
    - Geotech Forged W-213 56 & 60 (Nippon Modus3 Wedge 125)
    - David Whitlam SPI3 Limited Edition

Backups:

- PING S59 3-PW
    - Nike Forged Blades 3-PW
    - David Whitlam Little Dog 303ss
    - Scotty Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum
    - Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura

Comment

Originally posted by marc757 View Post

The Striper was a Harrison shaft. Penleys were great and are still around, used to really enjoy the Stealth and the ETA in particular. I've hit those old shafts on a launch monitor and they do just fine.

OG Speeder 757, 652, Graman UL540, Accuflex Icon v2, Accra SE80, just to name a few more oldie but goodies.
      I always thought it was called the Striper because of the 2-3 yellow bands. My bad!
      Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
      https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
      https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

I had a graphite designs ys-8 that went into every driver I owned, but it broke and I haven’t been able to find it again and I’m sad
        MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Can’t remember which came first but the first driver shafts that I remember really working for me were the fujikura pro 95 and flower band diamana white board
          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
          TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
          TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
          Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Swingman View Post
            My first component driver was an SMT 455 Deep Bore with an Accuflex Assassin

Mercury was another well made shaft.
            I think anyone who used components played that combo, Accuflex VS339 was a better combo for me. The 455 Deep bore is still the best driver head of all time IMO.

Mercury shafts were fantastic, not many offerings 2 iron shafts and 4 Wood shafts but remain unmatched for quality and consistency and at dirty inexpensive pricing.

SK Fiber in their early days also produced excellent quality shafts , much more diverse in terms of lines. Their Tour Trac 80/90/100 gram fairway wood shafts were incredibly popular.
            The brand is still around but the shafts are not the same.

Rapport also had excellent shafts , played their Blue Velvet shaft in a driver for quite a years.

Merc, and Rapport and I believe also SK were Filament wound shafts

Another old favourite was the Graphite design Purple Ice which I still use in a Ashton x1 5 wood. GD could not match the quality or pricing of the above but this shaft was and still is ( over 10 years later) a good fit for me.
            Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 25, 2019, 09:31 AM.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I think anyone who used components played that combo, Accuflex VS339 was a better combo for me. The 455 Deep bore is still the best driver head of all time IMO.

Mercury shafts were fantastic, not many offerings 2 iron shafts and 4 Wood shafts but remain unmatched for quality and consistency and at dirty inexpensive pricing.

SK Fiber in their early days also produced excellent quality shafts , much more diverse in terms of lines. Their Tour Trac 80/90/100 gram fairway wood shafts were incredibly popular.
              The brand is still around but the shafts are not the same.

Rapport also had excellent shafts , played their Blue Velvet shaft in a driver for quite a years.

Merc, and Rapport and I believe also SK were Filament wound shafts

Another old favourite was the Graphite design Purple Ice which I still use in a Ashton x1 5 wood. GD could not match the quality or pricing of the above but this shaft was and still is ( over 10 years later) a good fit for me.
              I have a couple of VS339 stiff shafts in an Ashton X1 driver and 3 wood in the basement.

I had an Apache micro 58 in a Callaway BBB that was a non conforming rocket ship, so like any respectable club Ho I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I have a couple of VS339 stiff shafts in an Ashton X1 driver and 3 wood in the basement.

I had an Apache micro 58 in a Callaway BBB that was a non conforming rocket ship, so like any respectable club Ho I sold it.
                Old school poon

The X1 fairway woods still rank top 2 or 3 ever for me , the X1 driver while good did not work the best for me , the Ashton E3 on the other hand mated with a Fuji Speeder 661 was an incredible combo for me though. I ended up buying Cliffs demo ....
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Rombax were some of my favourites, particularly the Z series.
                  Ping G410 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Black 60
                  Cobra SpeedZone Tour Big 13.5* - Diamana RF 70
                  Cobra SpeedZone Tour 17.5* - Diamana ZF 80
                  Mizuno CLK 21* - Nippon GOST TS
                  Callaway Epic Forged 6-Pw, Aw, Gw - KBS $-Taper Black
                  Vokey SM8 56.10M - KBS $-Taper Black
                  Taylormade Hi-Toe 4-way 60* - Dynamic Gold S200
                  Custom Bettinardi and Scotty T22 Newport - Stability

Comment

Nunchuk is still around but it was kind of a flop. It had almost zero tour presence (Johnny Vegas only) and it was super heavy and stiff (105g through the whole line wood-iron). Most ams don't have the speed to get a 100g iron shaft loaded properly let alone a driver.

Harrison Saga, Penley Striper Tour, Accuflex Creation, Apache Orange Crush, Grafalloy BiMatrix. All shafts from a bygone era that's for sure! I don't know if they would hold up currently with all the T1100, nanotubes, Kevlar, etc etc etc but they certainly were popular back then.
                    Relief Goosen , Ernie Els, John Daly, also play Nunchuk. Several others. No big money to promote a product that goes against the grain. I still sell them. Solid and truley one flex for all levels of players.

on another note Mercury was way ahead of the Market. It was more consistent back then than most brands are today,

They also had the Kevlar iron shaft Peter.
                    Last edited by Kona Golf; Nov 26, 2019, 11:04 PM.
                    JIM
                    Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                    TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                    Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross View Post
                      I had a graphite designs ys-8 that went into every driver I owned, but it broke and I haven’t been able to find it again and I’m sad

try to find a real deal Fujikura Pro Xlr8 Tour Spec. Its almost the identical bend profile. Otherwise yes the tour ad ys is difficult to find but great
                      Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
                      3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
                      5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
                      3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
                      Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
                      Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
                      Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post

Relief Goosen , Ernie Els, John Daly, also play Nunchuk. Several others. No big money to promote a product that goes against the grain. I still sell them. Solid and truley one flex for all levels of players.

on another note Mercury was way ahead of the Market. It was more consistent back then than most brands are today,

They also had the Kevlar iron shaft Peter.
                        Jim, was this awhile ago? The most recent WITB I can find for these players has Els using a Handcrafted Even Flow Blue, Daly with an Atmos Blue Tour Spec, and Goosen with a PX 8C (most recent witb with shafts was around 2016-2017 I could find).
                        Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
                        https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
                        https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

Jim, was this awhile ago? The most recent WITB I can find for these players has Els using a Handcrafted Even Flow Blue, Daly with an Atmos Blue Tour Spec, and Goosen with a PX 8C (most recent witb with shafts was around 2016-2017 I could find).
                          They did Chris, and Daly even had a full bag: http://www.golfwrx.com/201663/john-daly-witb-2014/

Comment

Yellow/Purple ProForce 75x for me was the first game changer in Graphite. First one to finally kick out Steel for me.

Then in order...

V2 Yellow/Black 76x

Whiteboard 73x Flowerband...

Accra Tour Z 65 (M4 flex tipped as per fitting)

Kiyoshi White 65x

And now Evenflow White 65x

Many others along the way tested/failed for me. Above were the gamers that kept creeping back.

Comment

I loved my Sandvik titanium in my langert driver
                              " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                              Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                              Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                              Ping i20
                              MacGregor response
                              Snickers tour bag
                              Pro V1

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,536   Posts: 1,814,859   Members: 47,103   Active Members: 174
                              Welcome to our newest member, Jiceman.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X