Battle of the Driver Lofts 10*, 12*, 14*

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Driver Lofts 10*, 12*, 14*

Hey ALL

Probably wasting your time with this, but just wanted to briefly post my results on my drivers loft testing.

Sim was Golftown's GC2 without HMT, so only ball data was produced, but it looked really close to my real drives this past Summer, so I think the Sim is good and accurate.

In summary, i tried 3 drivers (10*, 12* and 14*) of same make, and all with older and similar specs "classic"=20 year old 65 grams Stiff Shafts.

Basically all 3 drivers produced similar distances, except and obviously, 10* traveled more on the roll, and 14* traveled more in the air. But, and also well known fact was that lower lofted driver produced most off-line curving shots.

At the end, i think, at least at this point, that 12* driver was the best blend of carry, roll, and accuracy, but again, repeating this same test next April, on the real grass, will probably disprove all this, assuming of course i don't crock out during Winter, LOL.

Here is the vid, and typical driver data for the 12* driver of the 75 year old geezer swingin' ... and the "one arm finish" is not for show, but of necessity, since my right arm is mostly useless due to a stroke years back.

Too bad the SIM couldn't provide club head data, cause i'd love to know the "Angle of Attack" on my drives. Ah well, for $15/half hour I cannot complain, LOL.

https://youtu.be/RqCiFM96IRs

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191211_132743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	3075559
    Last edited by veryold; Dec 13, 2019, 09:03 AM.

So 65 - S means you were hitting stiff or senior shafts?
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
    Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
    Ping G400 4H - 22*
    Ping G400 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

All STIFF

Comment

Great experiment, netting decent results. Nice work
        Regards
        Dan

True Length Technology TM
        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
        True Frequency Technology TM
        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
        - Master
        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
        - Advanced / Professional
        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
        - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by TLT Dan View Post
          Great experiment, netting decent results. Nice work
          Dan, WOW, your comment is very much appreciated and respected

Comment

What are the chances the lofts of those clubs were actually 10,12,14? Assuming some manufacturing variance might skew your results a tad?

Comment

Love the passion & commitment !!! Here's to shooting your Age "Verysoon" ....

Comment

If you have an adjustable driver, I think adjusting loft is a great "experiment" for ppl to try. A lot of higher handicappers could likely be better off with more loft IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Petedv View Post
                  Love the passion & commitment !!! Here's to shooting your Age "Verysoon" ....
                  Just love your comment ...and yes, i seem to be inching towards it from both sides, definitely from the age side , but i also was able to shoot some decent scores last Summer, like quite a few rounds in low to mid 80s at Braeben.

God willing, if i stay upright and on the green side of the grass for few more years, who knows....

ATB, thanks for your nice words, and and cheers !
                  Last edited by veryold; Dec 12, 2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                    What are the chances the lofts of those clubs were actually 10,12,14? Assuming some manufacturing variance might skew your results a tad?
                    I've read Taylormade lofts are not really accurate and actually much higher. Catering to the everyday schmoo I guess.

I just picked up a Nike Sweet 16 driver and did the sim thing. Regular 220 yards. I'm always longer outside so this makes me really look forward to the spring.

Hey veryold are you sure you're still a stiff? Just asking. I kind of wish I still had the Nike 13 you sold me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

I've read Taylormade lofts are not really accurate and actually much higher. Catering to the everyday schmoo I guess. yeah, looking at the 14* one, it really looks like HIGH LOFT, LOL

I just picked up a Nike Sweet 16 driver and did the sim thing. Regular 220 yards. I'm always longer outside so this makes me really look forward to the spring. great stuff, don't discard the idea of a touch lower loft, like 12*-13* as you mentioned below

Hey veryold are you sure you're still a stiff? Just asking. LOVE IT !!! and yes, unfortunately, the driver shaft is about the only STIFF thing left here I kind of wish I still had the Nike 13 you sold me lol. Yes, i remember that one, and while i was happy that you got it, albeit temporarily, i'm also regretting letting it go, ah well, such is life...
                      Last edited by veryold; Dec 12, 2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

We've had charts listed before as to what distance you can/should expect at what loft, relative to your swing speed.
                        This is just one of many you can google.

http://members.swingmangolf.com/wp-c...970c-800wi.jpg

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                          All STIFF
                          Try something lighter, i.e. 40-50 grams and at least one flex softer. I'm 72 and with the 44 gram shaft in my driver regularly get total distances of 224-230 yds from ball speeds of 128-132 mph. Also your spin rate is too low as you should be targeting a rate of 3200-3400 rpm to maintain longer carry.

Tiger Woods increased his spin rate to 2800 and has never hit the ball straighter while maintaining 290+.
                          In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                          Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                          TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                          TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                          PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                          TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                          Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                          TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Appreciate your comments
                            Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Try something lighter, i.e. 40-50 grams and at least one flex softer.i'd love to, but hard to find those, more modern shafts, for my meager budget of <$10, lol I'm 72 and with the 44 gram shaft in my driver regularly get total distances of 224-230 yds from ball speeds of 128-132 mph. Also your spin rate is too low as you should be targeting a rate of 3200-3400 rpm to maintain longer carry. that will be my main target of additional testing, for sure. If i could squeeze 10-15 more yards, which may bring me to 220, will make a big difference in possibly reaching most of the holes (white tees, of course) in REGULATION.

Tiger Woods increased his spin rate to 2800 and has never hit the ball straighter while maintaining 290+.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                              Appreciate your comments
                              As an addendum, I will tell you that your current results are better than 80% of the guys your age that come in to try drivers.
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X