Battle of the Driver Lofts 10*, 12*, 14*

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

Curious about "theories about stiff shafts"

I was fitted for clubs a long time ago and from what I recall shaft flex was "dependent(?)" on load/torque (something like that) and not swing speed.

Aren't there players who can hit the ball long distances with very smooth swings who put less load (at the top) and I presume high swing speeds at impact using REGULAR shafts? Or is every "pro" using STIFF? What is the correct theory...what is correlated with what?
    It too varies by the player. Alvin Cruz of KRANK tells me that Kyle Birkshire , the current long drive champion uses a regular flex driver in his gamer, so this shows that there a lot of factors at play. His swing speed is 50% higher than mine, so ???

It's all about swing speed, transition and release \ timing. And feel.
    Regards
    Dan

True Length Technology TM
    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
    True Frequency Technology TM
    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
    - Master
    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
    - Advanced / Professional
    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
    - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

Curious about "theories about stiff shafts"

I was fitted for clubs a long time ago and from what I recall shaft flex was "dependent(?)" on load/torque (something like that) and not swing speed.

Aren't there players who can hit the ball long distances with very smooth swings who put less load (at the top) and I presume high swing speeds at impact using REGULAR shafts? Or is every "pro" using STIFF? What is the correct theory...what is correlated with what?
      I don't want to put words in his mouth, but most of what I have seen veryold post in the last few years has been of the lower the torque and stiffer the better. It's very akin to Bryson Dechambeau, who wants the club to be an extension of his left arm at impact and wherever he has the face pointed is where he wants the ball to fly. Technically, there is nothing wrong with that. However, we know a lot more about shafts than what we did 15 years ago where everything was a rebar pole with paint, and it wasn't uncommon to see tour pros playing standard regular or stiff shafts. Nowadays, you will see almost every tour pro playing an X of some sort. Every pro I can think of, apart from Kuchar, uses an X in their driver (even Furyk) because almost all of them have the speed to use it. Typical X range is ~107+, but depends on the manufacturer.

Now there are a wide variety of shafts with varying torque, balance points, materials, etc. My typical go to guide is if someone is swinging roughly 85 or below, they would fall pretty comfortably in a 45-55g shaft, around 90-95 is usually the 55g sweetspot, and around 100 is the 65g sweetspot. Of course this varies considerably with delivery and timing. People over the top or your guys who "load" it harder typically like heavier weighted shafts, and people who are more passive in their energy delivery typically like lighter weight shafts. Perfect examples: Jason Day who is your "aggressive" archetype plays X7, while you have Stenson, pretty smooth over all using Modus 120X. Two shafts that couldn't be more different from one another in terms of feel and balance point and torque, but both players hit the ball pretty similar yardages.

Shaft weight is key #1, balance point is #2, and "flex" is #3 only because they vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer. Flex also loosely translates to feel. While rare, you'd be hard pressed to find many people who swing in the mid-upper 70s with a driver who found a 65g stiff shaft to feel good these days. I'm not saying VO is wrong, I just think with the new tech available now, he would likely be better suited to something that is designed to load and release with his moderate speed more effectively than a shaft that is typically rated for someone swinging 20+ mph faster.

veryold Mr22putt You are right, I wouldn't charge him for the shaft. If it is a pull out from an OEM we have no use for it. I will have a snoop around if VO PM's me closer to the season and see what I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but most of what I have seen veryold post in the last few years has been of the lower the torque and stiffer the better, u r correct on my thinking, and just to add one more parameter: as light as possible, but stiff and light costs moneys . ***BUT***, my thinking may COMPLETELY CHANGE if i get to experiment with some Soft, Senior, LIGHT shafts come new Season (thanks Chris for your MOST GENEROUS OFFER ) very akin to Bryson Dechambeau, who wants the club to be an extension of his left arm at impact and wherever he has the face pointed is where he wants the ball to fly.

veryold Mr22putt You are right, I wouldn't charge him for the shaft. If it is a pull out from an OEM we have no use for it. I will have a snoop around if VO PM's me closer to the season and see what I've got. VERY, VERY KIND of you CHRIS, and we'll get in touch come March, assuming i'm still upright and kicking by then
        Last edited by veryold; Dec 19, 2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

You might find this article from Golf Digest interesting

Their tests show that many people that have a sub-100 mph swing should use lower loft, because the attack angle people use has been trending up in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmcampbell View Post
            You might find this article from Golf Digest interesting

Their tests show that many people that have a sub-100 mph swing should use lower loft, because the attack angle people use has been trending up in recent years.
            as long as they are not hitting down on the ball.
            Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
            3W - Taylormade M4
            5 wood - Callaway X Hot
            4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
            Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
            Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
            Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

My ten cents, played cobra fly z a couple of years unable to hit the driver, widened stance choked down no good gave up, last spring bought some cobra super light hybrids irons senior flex, then came a Ladies F8 driver, very happy, also now golf town deal Ladies F8 three wood ,have also decided that if I need an extra ten/twenty yards I will move to the Ladies ts, as I’m 79 well past the macho stage.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X