/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

1" Extensions - Factory or After the Fact?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" Extensions - Factory or After the Fact?

Hi All,

I'm pretty tall and usually play lengthened clubs. I don't switch very often and usually go built from the factory. Typically 1" has been fine.

I'm wondering the difference between having the shaft built to length vs putting an insert in the shaft post facto? Some part of me suggests this has to be really negligible?

My ping S56's have been awesome but some slush fund money has me thinking maybe something like Callaway X Forged might be fun (or a full and proper fitting of course ;-)

P

Extensions create no problem whatsoever (unless you extend too much creating a weak point). There are limits.

Being quite tall I do suggest you review my True Length Technology Fitting methodology. I have a very successful track record building for the very tall, and TLT is what has created this success.

Retrofits are a big part of my business as well as new builds, so as long as your shafts are reasonable for flex and weight - they may be a good candidate for a retrofit.

Please take a look at my site and let me know if I can help.
    Regards
    Dan

True Length Technology TM
    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
    True Frequency Technology TM
    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
    - Master
    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
    - Advanced / Professional
    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
    - Class 'A'

Comment

If you got some spare cash order new, if not extensions are cheap.

Comment

if you are thinking of buying new, have the factory do the length. That way they can compensate for the extra shaft length so that you willl have the proper swingweight from the outset.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Extensions are easy and inexpensive, there is zero difference in performance with an 1 inch extended club , versus a set that is bought that way. Your total weight and SW will be 6 points higher in each case.

As bl8d says, if you order a new custom set they make accommodations by using using lighter heads etc to keep things "standard"
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Just some added thoughts or questions.

So it seems like plus 1" helps in the wedges ( but I got to ask do these still feel a bit too short)?

Second, by doing plus 1" on your long irons, do they begin to feel a bit too long?

By simply doing plus 1" on every iron you are still forced to make address adjustments as the combination of length and lie in OEM equipment is not mathematically correct.

Really depends on how tall you are plus a few other variables.
            Regards
            Dan

True Length Technology TM
            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
            True Frequency Technology TM
            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
            - Master
            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
            - Advanced / Professional
            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
            - Class 'A'

Comment

I have used extensions for the past 40 years they work great
              Just remember try to use aluminium in the irons if possible
              True Temper will soften 1/2 flex
              Project X will stiffen 1/4 flex
              JUst what I have seen over the years

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight and thanks Dan - have definitely read some TLT stuff based on your posts over the years. Will probably order factory if I decide new clubs are in order but good to confirm not a big deal to lengthen after the fact.

Comment

Check ebay iron sets and include +1"....I found a great deal on a newer set a few years ago.
                  Dans le BAG...
                  PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
                  PING I25 4-LW
                  Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
                  Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

One other thing to possibly keep in mind. What length are the new set you get vs the old.

I just received a set I ordered the Callaway epic forged and I debated over adding a half inch like I have in past...
                    .... Because it turned out their standard was half inch longer or 3/4 inch longer in all irons vs sets I owned recently.
                    Left me debating whether you still add more length when there is no std anymore. Not just lofts are stronger but lengths.
                    I decided not to go longer but who knows anyhow. A fitting showed very little difference so I aired on side of accuracy.
                    Keep that in mind in case your old set has different lengths than newer.
                    PING CAMO BAG...
                    WEAPONS...
                    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                    3W TM M2
                    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                      One other thing to possibly keep in mind. What length are the new set you get vs the old.

I just received a set I ordered the Callaway epic forged and I debated over adding a half inch like I have in past...
                      .... Because it turned out their standard was half inch longer or 3/4 inch longer in all irons vs sets I owned recently.
                      Left me debating whether you still add more length when there is no std anymore. Not just lofts are stronger but lengths.
                      I decided not to go longer but who knows anyhow. A fitting showed very little difference so I aired on side of accuracy.
                      Keep that in mind in case your old set has different lengths than newer.
                      good point.
                      When you buy new clubs it's probably a good idea to have them built to the same length that you know worked for you in the past.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

good point.
                        When you buy new clubs it's probably a good idea to have them built to the same length that you know worked for you in the past.
                        I usually lengthen the 7 iron in increments until I'm hitting it 200+.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X