Collapse

Ditching a hybrid for an iron.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post
    I went with the Pxg gen 3 T, 3 iron and I have a sim hybrid i swap depending on the course
    Man I'd love to play their XP or P in a 3i but at their retail price I cannot swing that for a single iron unless my planned setup is just as much then why not throw it in since shafts for them are free.
    Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
    3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
    3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
    Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
    Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
    Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
    TP5X 2024
    Ghost Katana

Comment

Originally posted by MattM97 View Post

Man I'd love to play their XP or P in a 3i but at their retail price I cannot swing that for a single iron unless my planned setup is just as much then why not throw it in since shafts for them are free.
      I tried the P i didn’t like the look of it in the 3 and I was getting pretty similar results with the T anyways.

somehow pxg managed to shove the P forgiveness into the T package they hit a home run with these irons

im just waiting for mine I ordered 3-p

Comment

Ok so small update I took some advice and flattened the lie on my hybrid and that made a world of difference as I was making solid contact. Also the G410 hybrid is freak hot off the face.

I guess that puts the hybrid back into play for me vs going to an iron or UI for now. Options are kinda limited since the Ping and Titleist are the only ones with a hosel adjustment. But that's not bad since I have one and can dump money into a shaft vs a full setup.

Will update after I get fit on Sunday.

Edit: I guess PXG could be an option, their price is low enough it's doable now.
        Last edited by MattM97; Jun 3, 2020, 11:04 AM.
        TP5X 2024
        Ghost Katana

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post
          Depending on how you hit fairway wood, you way want to try a 20-21* seven wood. IMO, a lot of hybrids are far too upright and lead to left misses. It took me a lot of testing until I found a 19* hybrid that worked for me.
          I've committed this year to the fairway wood. The 3 wood has been pretty good and the 5 replaced a 3 hybrid and was also quite good. Now I am on the lookout for a 7 wood to sneak in at 22 degrees or so. I can hit my strong lofted 6 iron at 26 degrees but the 5 iron at 23 - really a 4 iron - isn't nearly as solid. Even tried a driving #4 iron with little success. So it's old school for me.

Comment

Ok situation has been figured out in my fitting. Sticking with a hybrid, went with a heavier and stiffer shaft, solved the issues I had and will stop easier than a 3i plus a bit more versatile. I'll go more in depth in my fitting review which I'll update.
            TP5X 2024
            Ghost Katana

Comment

Cobra also make an adjustable UI , also in different base loft configurations, and also in One-Length versions with 37.25" gripped playing length.

In the off season I happened to acquire the One Length 5, 4 ,3 irons. I already sold off the 5i, and planned on keeping the 3i and 4i for my 2 bags of club. But I have given them a lot of time on the range and admit I am much better served by my 23* 818 H1 hybrids in that slot. Similarly with Fairway Woods, I have tried a lot of them ( 3,4 5 woods ) and am just not a FW guy and sticking with my 19* hybrids for anything below Driver.
              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Yeah but that Cobra UI doesn't come in lefty and I don't have that good of a swing from that side.
                TP5X 2024
                Ghost Katana

Comment

I like most or some people have a hard time hitting hybrids (hooks) lol. I play the Original TM UDI 2 iron plus a TMB 3 Iron although I think I prefer the UDI which has less offset ! Long low running bombs !

Comment

Originally posted by simmers View Post
                    I like most or some people have a hard time hitting hybrids (hooks) lol. I play the Original TM UDI 2 iron plus a TMB 3 Iron although I think I prefer the UDI which has less offset ! Long low running bombs !
                    I get that, see I was thinking of the UDI or a 3i but then I have little to no stopping power coming into greens and kinda makes it a 1 or 2 dimensional club off the tee and second shot on par5s. Where the hybrid gives me some more options especially with rescue situations in the rough which I sadly find myself in often some rounds.
                    TP5X 2024
                    Ghost Katana

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse