/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Toe Droop -> rethinking Spine & FLO

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ I used to do that but I get a better clamp with the gripping station.
    The Maltby is not screwed to the table so can move a bit when twanging.
    And I find I twang better horizontally vs vertically.
    WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
    Cobra One Length 3 Utility with
    Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Nice set up Andy. FWIW and just for discussion's sake I've always felt the GW's analyser had limitations. For instance it can't do zone profiling in one the most important part of the shaft i.e the tip. They recommend flipping the shaft around and inserting a grip at the end of the shaft.
      https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MA2014.pdf

Not sure this will yield valuable information or should I say information you could share with others and it's far from the former PCS's way of doing it with a 454 gram tip weight
      http://www.csfa.com/technote36.php

Of course that information is only valid if you're in full time clubmaking or if you want to match the bending characteristics as much as possible of a no longer available favorite shaft or going to a less expensive shaft from a different supplier. Of course one could buy the FiT2Score software but not worth it for us simple hobbyists. Ever considered MOI matching?

Comment

Update: the one shaft that I mentioned had a very distinct spine was indeed bowed when placed against a straight-edge and rotated. Fortunately I have some spares on hand and will swap it out. It actually FLO'd nicely on both planes, and the planes differed by only 2 CPM. I would have used it if not for me checking if it was bowed -> thanks Tintin for the heads up on that one. I will remember that next time I have a distinct spine.

Also, I measured all shafts and the frequency difference between the planes in a shaft was mostly 1 or 2 CPM, with the "worst one" being 3 CPM.

Doing shaft profiling is above the detail I am personally interested in doing. I had TLT-Dan make me a few TLT sets over the years and saw how meticulous he was in his own profiling methods and shaft sorting. I find this mainly of value if one is using .370 parallels, as Dan did when he used Accra i110 on my last TLT build.

If I have a set of off-the-shelf taper tips, new or used, what's the point of profiling ? It's not as if I can sort anything or send back a shaft. I guess I could send back a new shaft if it was way out of whack, but shipping costs more than a shaft.

I'm only a hobbyist and have no intention on doing "paid-work" for anyone. It takes way too much time to do a proper build. I thoroughly enjoy it though, and happy to help out some friends if they need some small stuff done.

As far as an MOI build, in KW we have a local long-time club-builder John Wade of Precision Golf Clubs. In the fall he moved locations, and setup shop in the back of my golf instructor Kris McGowan's shop in Kitchener. I've had numerous chats with John in the fall, as I was often hitting balls in the practice bay there. He happens to have an MOI machine in his arsenal, and is a super knowledgeable guy. He offered to measure a few of my clubs ( say 9-7-5 ) to see how "MOI-close" they were. I build in 1/4" shaft increments and 0.5 SW difference per club. I've always been pretty good/reliable hitting 8-Lob regardless of whatever set I've had, but 7-6-5 is where I get less reliable. I'll see how my set goes this season. Who knows, if I'm not happy maybe I'll solicit John's services to MOI match my 7-6-5 to my 8.
        Last edited by ARL67; Mar 26, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Hey Andy, I like what you are doing and you seem to have a pretty good handle on things.

Couple thoughts or suggestions.

When performing FLO , I tend to have 4 or 5" sticking out the back of the clamp, shortening the beam length, as often the butt section does get shortened.

Something as simple as a lable on the shaft can cause FLO discrepancies. I try to not have a lable under the clamp. Seem extremely picky, but have struggled to get FLO , when the lable is under the clamp.

My True Frequency Technology program may help if you decide to look at profiling to a greater degree. Lots of variation can be found down the length of the shaft as you shorten the beam length. If you flip your beam (the U shape component where the beam comes from) on the Maltby FA to be closer to the clamp you can gain 4" or so of potential measurements.

Personally I find the 11" measurement of profiling to be in question. Oscillations are often very non linear , and a few shaft manufacturers claim that this section is questionable as it's in to close and can cause excessive variation.
          Regards
          Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
          True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
          Hampton, ON
          Appointment only
          Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
          E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Great advice as always Dan.
            If I ever want a shaft fully profiled, I will leave it up to a true pro like yourself, as I've experience your skills & efforts first-hand. Though I don't know if I'll ever get back to using .370 parallels in a build.

The shafts I have are already trimmed to playing length by the time I FLO them, and I remove all stickers from the shaft -> I like things tidy

Comment

Tapers sure do make things easier, but they too can have significant variation, with not much room to adjust.

Butt frequency is such a small part and is often very misleading. Guys that 'nibble' to obtain a target CPM at the butt, seldom realize that they have affected the tip numbers to a greater degree. Can't change one without affecting all the others.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things.

My only other suggestion is to clamp your FA, even temporary. This can affect the FLO as well as the CPM value.
              Regards
              Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
              True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
              Hampton, ON
              Appointment only
              Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
              E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 175,897   Posts: 1,844,836   Members: 47,501   Active Members: 267
              Welcome to our newest member, swqeas24125.
              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
              X