/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Tiger's Driver Launch Angle is REALLY HIGH ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger's Driver Launch Angle is REALLY HIGH ???

Don't know if this is the correct thread for this topic ?

Anyways, I was just amazed to see Tiger's drives absolutely "soar" up in the air, as shown in the attached pic. That LA had to be 30* or more, unless i am missing something. And that high LA was evident on ALL of his driver shots.

So, if this is NOT some sort of "optical illusion" HOW IS HE ACHIEVING THIS HIGH LA ? He couldn't be using more than a 10* lofted driver ?
    Any one's comments will be really appreciated

Oh, i am NOT getting that high LA with my 16* SLDR Driver (last pic, below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	TigerDriverHighLA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	3227746
    And here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TigerDriverHighLA-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	3227751

Click image for larger version

Name:	MyDriverTracer.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3227939
    Attached Files
    Last edited by veryold; Sep 2, 2020, 08:24 AM.

I think you're confusing LA and Peak Height.

His LA is likely no more then 14 to 16* which is a lot on a driver. He achieves this by hitting up.

As for what looks like a super high ball flight thats coming from his ballspeed and spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
      I think you're confusing LA and Peak Height
      His LA is likely no more then 14 to 16* which is a lot on a driver. He achieves this by hitting up.

As for what looks like a super high ball flight thats coming from his ballspeed and spin.
      Who knows, as i am "marching" towards my 80s my confusion "marches" with it - not a pretty sight

OK, seeing many of your posts, you seem very
      knowledgeable in technical aspects of the game of golf. So maybe i can ask you a question re. LA: if the ball is NOT teed up very high, something like Jack Nicklaus suggests (half the ball over the driver crown), what is the max. LA that can be achieved with that tee height, in an ideally and perfectly struck drive ? To my thinking, not that much, no ? IOW, the LA is mostly dependent on the "physical loft" of the driver ???
      Last edited by veryold; Sep 2, 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
        Who knows, as i am "marching" towards my 80s my confusion "marches" with it - not a pretty sight

OK, seeing many of your posts, you seem very
        knowledgeable in technical aspects of the game of golf. So maybe i can ask you a question re. LA: if the ball is NOT teed up very high, something like Jack Nicklaus suggests (half the ball over the driver crown), what is the max. LA that can be achieved with that tee height, in an ideally and perfectly struck drive ? To my thinking, not that much, no ? IOW, the LA is mostly dependent on the "physical loft" of the driver ???
        Tee height and LA are not automatically directly related if that makes sense. Yes typically the higher you tee it the higher your LA will or should be. The reason for the correlation is because as you tee it higher you should ideally be hitting more up on it. But you can in theory still hit down on it with it teed up high whether half a ball or a full ball above the crown.

The three questions that have been looked at to understand ball flight have been: 1. Why did the ball start there? 2. Why did the ball cu...

May help clarify better then I can.

There's a lot of variables and I'm not a physics expert.

If you go on track man's website it will explain all of the variables. Spin loft dynamic loft launch angle etc.

I can take a 12* driver and launch it lower then a 9* head due to how i present dynamic loft and my attack angle.

Comment

OK, hopefully, this is my last nonsense post on this topic.

Looks like the Super High LA that i alluded to in my OP is just an optical illusion ???

An easy "triangle math" calculator returns the LA = 12* which, IIANM, is much more "normal" and expected value.

Here are the inputs, some from the screens of tiger using Trackman, some of my assumptions (and you know the famous quote from the Under Siege 2, Assumption is the mother of all f*&^ups ) :

1) Tiger apex is about 110' = 37 yards
          2) This apex is reached at distance of maybe 180 yards taking a 280 yards total carry.
          3) The ball doesn't "balloon/rise" up, but goes up in a straight line.

Here is the "calculator"

Click image for larger version

Name:	TigerDriveGeometry.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	3228425
          Attached Files

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard