Help please!!!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!!!!

Hi

I am looking for some help . I like to do some of my own club building ( installing shafts and Grips) . I have done 5 sets of shaft installs and never had a problem . I use Brampton 20/20 long cure epoxy . I did a set for a friend that have come apart . They were done by someone else and came apart twice so he asked me to do them since I had done previous sets for him with no issues. Anyone know why they would come apart ? The epoxy was new . Should I use glass beads?

Thanks

Mario

if graphite shafts, tip preparation is really important

if steel, could have been an inferior epoxy

Comment

they are steel shafts . all 3 times we used new epoxy . Is there another type of epoxy you would suggest?

Thanks

Comment

what brand of clubs are they?
        Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

TaylorMade P790

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
            TaylorMade P790

The ferrules are collared on these clubs. If someone used non-collared ferrules without o-rings, I've heard that these clubs are proned to epoxy breakdown. If you use the above ferrules the clubs should seat properly and not come apart.

Good Luck with the build.

Comment

Thanks I will try those . The ferrules I used were collared .

Comment

If You've clean the hosels properly and if the shafts were prepped properly then it is your epoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
                  they are steel shafts . all 3 times we used new epoxy . Is there another type of epoxy you would suggest?

Thanks
                  Been using Golfworks' for many years without any issues.

Comment

check for excessive bore clearance. the other person might have mistakenly installed taper tips in a .370 parallel bore.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Possible but highly doubtful unless the heads have been reamed my friend

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                        Possible but highly doubtful unless the heads have been reamed my friend
                        https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/TaylorMade.pdf
                        exactly what I wanted to allude to.
                        3 failures in a row is not solely due to bad epoxy.
                        IA while ago we had a similar question of the possible consequence of fitting a taper shaft into a parralel bored hosel.

I just want him to double-check the bore-size to be sure before he tries epoxy again.
                        Last edited by bl8d; Oct 21, 2020, 03:12 PM.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I've installed over 100 irons/driver/wedge shafts. Never had I had a failures install. It must be something you are doing wrong. Tip prep is really important. Even if the heads of reams differently, shafting beads and shims could be used.

Comment

Some bathroom reading before you tackle the reshaft again.

Looking to reshaft my P790's with some Recoil Prototype shafts and looking for what ferrule to pick up. Golfworks has a "0.370" TaylorMade Universal Ferrule" and Billybob's has "R15, RSi, Aero Burner, Speed Blade, RBZ, Rocketbladez Iron Ferrules" (which comes in Taper or Parallel). I know the P79...

Comment

Originally posted by br1828 View Post
                              I've installed over 100 irons/driver/wedge shafts. Never had I had a failures install. It must be something you are doing wrong. Tip prep is really important. Even if the heads of reams differently, shafting beads and shims could be used.
                              Likewise, I've rebuilt a lot of iron sets and drivers, fw, hybrids, and yet to have one come off / loose.

I use this 18-24 hour epoxy:
                              GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.

I have a 1" belt sander that a do a quick clean-up on the steel / graphite shaft tips.

For the hosels I use my drill and these hosel brushes:
                              https://www.golfworks.ca/hosel-honin...rush/p/gw1060/

I then blow out the hosel with my compressor.
                              Others at sites such as GolfWRX recommend cleaning the hosel with acetone or some other solvent, but I never do and have never had a failure.
                              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse