Collapse

The truth about strong lofted irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

Was my concern too. However some of the best wedge players have 6 to 8* gaps.

As for the T100S I bent the PW 1* weak to 45. Then play 50 55 60 for 5* gaps.
    You're rigtht, some tour pros have very different setups and make it work amazingly well. DJ has a 52 and a 60, he's the number one player in the world. It leaves me scratching my head but the setup works for him. For me, it would be very difficult to adjust to something like that given the improvement in my distance control that coincided with going to 4 wedges. I've thought about doing a Vokey wedge fitting to see if I could come up with an improved setup but for now it's just one more thing that will have to wait until we're out of super mega lockdown mode and I'm fully vaccinated.
    Ping G425 Max 9o Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
    Titleist TS3 15o Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Titleist 818 H2 19o Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T-MB 718 4 Iron DGX100
    Titleist T100 5-PW DG AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50, 54 & 58
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport Mallet 2

Comment

'21 Sunday bag
      D 9, fw-17, hybrids 20,23,26,29, wedges 48,52,56.Putter.
      Them mythical gaps filled by half-swing and three quarter swing.

those partial swings will find your lost i-phone and car keys. LOL
      things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
        '21 Sunday bag
        D 9, fw-17, hybrids 20,23,26,29, wedges 48,52,56.Putter.
        Them mythical gaps filled by half-swing and three quarter swing.

those partial swings will find your lost i-phone and car keys. LOL
        Your setup is wild. As a kid I tee'd off regularly with a 2 iron. Grew older and couldn't hit the 3 and 4. Now my strong-lofted 5 iron at 22 degrees is the lowest I carry and even it isn't a fave as it fades too much. Still happy with 6 through gap but the sandy sucks. My bag doesn't have drivers (at the moment) or hybrids. Several Adams tight lies fairways have taken over and make me somewhat smile when I address the ball. Different strokes.

Comment

every club in that Sunday Bag(Ping Manta) is stupid easy to hit. I don't like to beat myself up. I'll probably drop the 20h and the 52 wedge because I can do without them ,and the Manta is best suited for no more than 8 clubs
          The hybrids are Cobra Baffler DWS with stock Aldila Proto Bye-You 65 gram 4.5 torque shafts. I have not found easier swinging and better performing hybrids than those, and I've tried a few.
          Wedges are Titleist VokeyDesign Raw with 6, 8 and 12* of bounce and some additional heel and toe relief for more versatility.
          Putter is a carbon fibre face-balanced Kunnan mallet.
          Steelhead 4 wood,and a Cobra F-Speed 460cc round it off.

golf is a game of "what if", where very little is set in stone.
          you don't have to fill every perceived "gap" by buying "that" club
          The game is about coping with less than perfect.
          things change

Comment

Lofts on my set aren't really all that consistent. Long irons have 3 deg gaps, then the shorter irons have 4 deg. I have a 6 deg gap between PW and my GW, then 4 deg from GW to SW to LW. My only concern is whether my yardages are consistent, which they are. I may have my GW bent 1* stronger to 52, but if I'm being honest, making a trip to a fitter just for that probably isn't going to happen. It's far more likely that I'll just work around the issue by hitting a slightly-less-than-full PW, or by really stepping on my GW.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews