Collapse

The truth about strong lofted irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about strong lofted irons

I have been thinking it's more a marketing strategy to fulfill golfers' ego than any real benefits with strong lofted irons. Finally found some good article explaining in more details.

One thing I am almost sure is with today's longer irons, one may hit a club less during a round but have a higher chance to need to add another wedge to the bag to bridge the larger gap between the PW and the next wedge. What's the real benefits other than hitting a 7-iron 10 yards longer but need another wedge in the bag...???

Driver: TM R5 Dual Draw 10.5 M.A.S.2 5-55 R Flex
    4 Wood: TM V-Steel 16.5 Dynamic Gold Steel R Flex
    Hybrids: Nickent 3DX Genex 3 & 4 IW Steel Uniflex
    Irons: Ping S59 5-PW ZZ-65 Steel S Flex
    Wedge: Cleveland 588 53 GW (Bend to 52) / 56 SW / 60 LW
    Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider 33 inches

Originally posted by ric314 View Post
    I have been thinking it's more a marketing strategy to fulfill golfers' ego than any real benefits with strong lofted irons. Finally found some good article explaining in more details.

One thing I am almost sure is with today's longer irons, one may hit a club less during a round but have a higher chance to need to add another wedge to the bag to bridge the larger gap between the PW and the next wedge. What's the real benefits other than hitting a 7-iron 10 yards longer but need another wedge in the bag...???

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/featu...-lofted-irons/
    I think somewhere along the line a company wanted to be known as being longer than their rivals, next thing you know we have 44* PW's and they are selling us another wedge.

There are probably a large percentage of golfers that don't have great gapping in their long irons as they are only 3* apart sometimes.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
    Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
    Ping G400 4H - 22*
    Ping G400 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

I have the Callaway epic forged.

Look at it this way.
      Previously I could reliably hit to 160 yds and anything above that was a hope and a prayer or a hybrid that went 200.

Now I can hit 160 like nothing.
      I can hit 176 no problem.
      I can hit 190 with pretty great results.

It was a game changer for me.
      ​​​​​​ If your someone who can hit 170 to 190 already with reliability then it's not even something to consider.
      but if you can't hit long irons I'm hitting a 7 iron that is effortless and goes 176 yards.
      PING CAMO BAG...
      WEAPONS...
      SRIXON ZX5 10.5
      3W TM M2
      HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
      5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
      LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
      3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

After many years of fitting people, I believe that stronger lofts greatly help people who flip the club at the bottom. This helps reduce their dynamic loft at impact. The 1/2" shorter shaft also assists in accuracy.
        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Its all psychology and ego. The person who can now hit the newer stronger lofted 7 iron to the target with regularity was likely under clubbing anyway because of ego. They maybe hit the target yardage 1 in 5 attempts, but play to their best strike instead of their average strike. They really should have been hitting their older 6 iron in the first place, but they kept hearing how far their buddies hit their seven iron and so they kept trying with the 7 iron because they don't want to appear deficient. However, now that the irons are stronger, they can hit the target regularly with the 7 iron like their buddies and preserve their ego. But really the new 7 iron is just the old 6 iron they should have been using anyway. Nothing changed but the psychology.

I just need to know how far each club goes and pick the appropriate one. I really couldn't care what the number is at the bottom of the club. Its just a label.
          Last edited by luv2kruz; Nov 12, 2020, 12:01 PM.
          Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
            I really couldn't care what the number is at the bottom of the club. Its just a label.
            Sounds like communism to me...

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
              Its all psychology and ego. The person who can now hit the newer stronger lofted 7 iron to the target with regularity was likely under clubbing anyway because of ego. They maybe hit the target yardage 1 in 5 attempts, but play to their best strike instead of their average strike. They really should have been hitting their older 6 iron in the first place, but they kept hearing how far their buddies hit their seven iron and so they kept trying with the 7 iron because they don't want to appear deficient. However, now that the irons are stronger, they can hit the target regularly with the 7 iron like their buddies and preserve their ego. But really the new 7 iron is just the old 6 iron they should have been using anyway. Nothing changed by the the psychology.

I just need to know how far each club goes and pick the appropriate one. I really couldn't care what the number is at the bottom of the club. Its just a label.
              Your thought is exactly what I am thinking about the stronger lofted irons. It really does not matter the number at the bottom but which club will bring all your ball to destiny.
              Driver: TM R5 Dual Draw 10.5 M.A.S.2 5-55 R Flex
              4 Wood: TM V-Steel 16.5 Dynamic Gold Steel R Flex
              Hybrids: Nickent 3DX Genex 3 & 4 IW Steel Uniflex
              Irons: Ping S59 5-PW ZZ-65 Steel S Flex
              Wedge: Cleveland 588 53 GW (Bend to 52) / 56 SW / 60 LW
              Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider 33 inches

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                It was a game changer for me.
                ​​​​​​ If your someone who can hit 170 to 190 already with reliability then it's not even something to consider.
                but if you can't hit long irons I'm hitting a 7 iron that is effortless and goes 176 yards.
                If your 7i is the same loft as your old 6i, are you really hitting a 7i further? I suppose its (in traditional sets) a wee tad shorter but does that shortness make it easier to hit to the point that it's the big difference maker? Surely it's not all about feeling better about ones self via some deliberate self delusion?

I'm legitimately confused by this as I hit a couple 6i's that were the same loft as my existing 5i and I really couldn't tell the difference, save for the lengths would confuse me on course and I'd need another wedge.

---
                ps, good article which i read post my above post ;-)
                Last edited by petvan; Nov 11, 2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

It's much more than stronger lofts. If you think manufacturers just put a #7 on a 6 iron you really don't know anything about the modern equipment. My 2c.

Like the reply above. A few years ago I had a retro lofted set that I couldn't hit anything above 160y. My HC was about 18. I got properly fitted into stronger lofted irons (7i = 31*, 6i = 27*, 5i = 24*). Now, I'm confident with any iron shot up to 190yards out and my HC has dropped to 8 without changing my swing. On par 3s from 160-190y I'm deadly, I'd say 90% of the time I'm on the green. My spin is more controllable in the wind and the tech in the new iron heads make elevating them and hitting them on beautiful trajectory really easy.

The new tech irons are just so much better than the old stuff, especially for the recreational player. Unfortunately, prices have really shot up.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                    I have the Callaway epic forged.

Look at it this way.
                    Previously I could reliably hit to 160 yds and anything above that was a hope and a prayer or a hybrid that went 200.
                    Happy birthday Shark. The Epics are very strong lofted irons. A 27* 7 iron. My 7 iron has 35*(Maltby TE forged) If you can get it to launch higher and stop it on the green then more power to you

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-07-17-at-7.54.13-AM.png
Views:	1211
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	3267506

Comment

What’s the average age of posters in this thread? Has everyone hear heard of loft creep aka loft jacking aka strong lofts?

These terms are here to stay and only old folks can’t seem to accept it. It is what it is and companies aren’t really going back unless people stop spending their $$$ on it. If you really want old school, buy some Ping irons and have them bend it to their “Retro” specs.

Then when you get older and max out distance from technique, move to loft jacked clubs to regain some of the glory day distance back. LOL.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they need in their bag. Golf companies like it or not are here to sell product. Marketing is their best tool and make no mistake appealing to people’s ego is a Fantastic tactic .

BTW, I’m not mad, just older and just seemed to realize this just now. Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Whatever works. The number on the club is relative.

fwiw, I moved from pings with a 7i loft of 34* to Titleist with a 7iron loft of 30 *, I hit the Titleist clubs obviously longer ( 160-170vs 150 -155) but also hit them higher so head design, not just the stamped loft has to be taken into consideration.

as somebody above said, I did need to add an extra wedge on the low end as my PW now is 130+ and my 50* Ping gap wedge I kept is 110
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

How often does one ask another player what club they are using? I think I stopped after my first season. Modern lofts are here to stay no ifs ands or buts...

Also every body knows the measure of man is how long he hits his driver and LOFT aint gonna do jacksh1t hahaha

Comment

It's for those guys who on par 3's like to talk about "what number (iron) are you hitting?" instead of "what's the distance to the flag"?.

Comment

I’m still using and enjoying my Ping Eye2+. Guess my lofts are way off vs newer clubs.

Only ever mattered when I travelled and rented clubs. Took me about 3 shots to note the difference and club differently.
                              Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                              Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                              Nike 23 degree hybrid
                              Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                              Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                              Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse