/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

New to Club Fitting, looking for advice.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Club Fitting, looking for advice.

Hi All!
    I just finished my first year and absolutely love the game, over 75+ rounds this summer. I'm playing off at 15 handicap, just wondering if there's going to be a HUGE difference between going to get fit at golftown or somewhere like TXG or Modern Golf for a player like me. I'm 23 years old so I don't have an infinite budget but I'm willing to invest in my clubs as I'll be using them for years to come. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

PS Swing speed floats around 105

1 word ,ping ,you won't be disappointed .

Comment

Originally posted by Taditooo View Post
      I'm 23 years old so I don't have an infinite budget but I'm willing to invest in my clubs as I'll be using them for years to come.
      Your budget is going to be the deciding factor. Come up with an actual spending limit, then you might get some reasonable free advice.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
        Your budget is going to be the deciding factor. Come up with an actual spending limit, then you might get some reasonable free advice.
        Spending limits floating around $2000 (before tax) but willing to spend more if it will make a big difference!

Comment

Welcome to golfing
          I would not go to golf town for a fitting unless you find someone working there that really know how to do a fitting the right way. I have gone down this road and the clubs I was fit for don’t work well for me.

Comment

Spending limits floating around $2000 (before tax) but willing to spend more if it will make a big difference!
            Great! That amount will not be able to get a full set (14 clubs) of “name brand” clubs. Do you think you need them all replaced?
            Keep in mind, money spent is not going to be a guarantee for scoring improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
              Great! That amount will not be able to get a full set (14 clubs) of “name brand” clubs. Do you think you need them all replaced?
              Keep in mind, money spent is not going to be a guarantee for scoring improvement.
              Only need irons! Was looking for 7 clubs most likely, 4-P.

Comment

Only need irons! Was looking for 7 clubs most likely, 4-P.
                You should be good with that budget if you stay away from aftermarket shafts.

If you are brand agnostic, TXG, MG, or GT is the way to go. All have quality fitters, but the experience is going to be dependant on the individual you are seeing. If you want to be fit by someone with years of experience, I’d contact all the locations you are considering beforehand and tell them this, along with your budget. I wouldn’t use “infinite” again.

If there is a specific manufacturers irons (PING, TM) you want, getting fit by them could save you some money.

Comment

If you are looking to spend $2k, I would pay the $60 and get a TLT fit. You can use the fitting chart to build the set wherever you like, be it MG, Ping, PXG, Titleist, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post
                    If you are looking to spend $2k, I would pay the $60 and get a TLT fit. You can use the fitting chart to build the set wherever you like, be it MG, Ping, PXG, Titleist, etc.
                    Not entirely correct since the standard lie angles and lofts will be different from one OEM model to the other. e.g. A Titleist T100 7 iron has a lie of 63* while the i210 is 62*.

Which one would you use as a base line?
                    King Cobra F9 10.5* , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
                    King Cobra F9 15.5*, UST Helium A Flex
                    TXG Custom, T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
                    Sonartec MD Transition 23*, UST Irod A Flex
                    TXG Custom, Mizuno Hot Metal "B" heads, 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2", Soft Stepped Once
                    Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R

Ping Glide 1.0 ES 55*, Accra 90 wedge
                    Callaway MD4 S Grind 58*, DG Tour Issue 115 S
                    Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Not entirely correct since the standard lie angles and lofts will be different from one OEM model to the other. e.g. A Titleist T100 7 iron has a lie of 63* while the i210 is 62*.

Which one would you use as a base line?
                      How does that even make a difference?

Ping and Titleist and PXG will set the lie angle to whatever you choose, in a reasonable range.

The stock lie is meaningless!

If my TLT fit requires my 7 iron at 64* and PXGs standard is 62*, they bend it 2* more upright.

What do you think Ping does when they fit you?

A TLT fit gives you your exact numbers, length and lie for each club.

You were a fitter for 17 years?
                      Last edited by ping1-a; Dec 27, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

There are other factors as well. COG location, hosel depth and just looking at the lie angle also ignores that bounces angle move as the lie and loft change. Ping for example typically has higher standard bounce angles than several others. All of these should be looked at in a fit.

As to your back handed insult, yes I did fit for 17 years and sold over $7.5 million worth of gear in that time while you have fit how many people?
                        Last edited by rgk5; Dec 27, 2020, 02:59 PM.
                        TXG Custom, Mizuno Hot Metal "B" heads, 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2", Soft Stepped Once

Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                          There are other factors as well. COG location, hosel depth and just looking at the lie angle also ignores that bounces angle move as the lie and loft change. Ping for example typically has higher standard bounce angles than several others. All of these should be looked at in a fit.

As to your back handed insult, yes I did fit for 17 years and sold over $7.5 million worth of gear in that time while you have fit how many people?
                          Any OEM can build for a large range of length, lies and swing weights while adjusting for COG and bounce. This isn't rocket science. Ping can fit a set to a 5ft male and 6'6" male, easily.
                          If you've sold $7.5m worth of gear, I shouldn't need to explain this.
                          Last edited by ping1-a; Dec 27, 2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Hi All!
                            I just finished my first year and absolutely love the game, over 75+ rounds this summer. I'm playing off at 15 handicap, just wondering if there's going to be a HUGE difference between going to get fit at golftown or somewhere like TXG or Modern Golf for a player like me. I'm 23 years old so I don't have an infinite budget but I'm willing to invest in my clubs as I'll be using them for years to come. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

PS Swing speed floats around 105
                            TXG fitting would be better than a GT fitting but unless you plan on spending the $$ for the head/shift combos, don’t bother wasting your time and money. You can get a ballpark of what you should be playing at GT and have your lofts and lies adjusted from there to get a better fit.

I had a guy locally frequency match my iron shafts, put in FST 125X at a D4 and went 2* up that made a world of a difference. Only had 4 rounds all year in the 80s. Rest were 70s and quite a few under par rounds. Next year I’ll be doing an entire new bag fitting from TXG or club champion
                            Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post

Any OEM can build for a large range of length, lies and swing weights while adjusting for COG and bounce. This isn't rocket science. Ping can fit a set to a 5ft male and 6'6" male, easily.
                              If you've sold $7.5m worth of gear, I shouldn't need to explain this.
                              We are going around in circles. As to your comments about TLT Dan, I know that he has developed an excellent reputation with his unique fitting system and deserves full credit for same. You have your beliefs and I have mine, so let's leave it at that. Ciao.

Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X