Collapse

Switching to Blades?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to Blades?

I have been using a set of TM PSI irons for the last few years. I also played a few rounds with a set of JPX900s and loved them. RH-stiff. I don't hit a long ball but am fairly consistent. I can shape the ball a little but not consistently. I have been dabbling for about 20 years and shoot mid 80s.

The problem is I am dying to try a set of blades lol. Are they everything everyone says? Will my iron game improved? Or should I stay with what I have?

I have thought of trying to pick up an inexpensive set of blades but have no idea where to start.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Originally posted by almostasenior View Post
    I have been using a set of TM PSI irons for the last few years. I also played a few rounds with a set of JPX900s and loved them. RH-stiff. I don't hit a long ball but am fairly consistent. I can shape the ball a little but not consistently. I have been dabbling for about 20 years and shoot mid 80s.

The problem is I am dying to try a set of blades lol. Are they everything everyone says? Will my iron game improved? Or should I stay with what I have?

I have thought of trying to pick up an inexpensive set of blades but have no idea where to start.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Im a single digit player. I too had that curiousity and tried a set. The disadvantages outweigh fhe benefits for the average golfer. They are designed for the pros who have the consistency to take advantage of what blades offer. The rest of us dont need to make the game harder than it is. Stick with what youve got or u pgrade to a more modern forged cavity back. I play the p760s and love them. The Sxrixon 585s were a close second in my fitting.
    Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

At the end of the day, its your money and you can decide how you see fit to spend it. True, blades are not as forgiving vs cavity back type heads however, some of us dont care. Its the feeling of a pure strike that usually sets blades apart from others. Your game may suffer however, it may not. Perhaps you may want to practice more or take more lessons?? If its financially feasible, go for it. Enjoy them - if it isnt making you happy, you’ll be glad you didnt spend a lot for the blades.

Comment

Blades wont make you a better player, that comes from practice.

play the clubs that best suit your game and ability.

I am not sure what you are hearing people say about them but they will be less forgiving, feel worse on mishits ( highly dependent on the head design as well) in most cases lower your trajectory and so on.

if you can already shape the ball with existing clubs I see zero benefit to mak8ng the switch.

all that said, it is always fun to mess around with different clubs so no harm grabbing a set to mess with. I have played blades many times and have a set . I am a single digit and play off a 6 + h/c and currently use what are considered super game improvement irons. I moved from Ping i20 and i5 which would be game improvement irons. These provide the best results for my needs.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

You might be able to find people selling a single blade iron on Kijiji. A very cheap way to give it a try.

Comment

I was playing blades for three months last year it was kinda fun, then one day I shanked a 7 iron and hit someone off to the right.
            Sold em the next day.
            "Your swing isn't the problem."

Comment

^^^ hey the shank was not the club's fault
              The ball did not know whose hosel was on its way a millisecond before impact, I mean shank.

I keep a set of MP-4 that I will bring out once in a while. I love looking at their chromed magnificence ! And my scores don't suffer that much.
              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Wow, I didn't expect such a quick and helpful response! Such knowledge and experience thank you.

It sounds like blades won't magically make me a scratch golfer lol. I think I will take the advice of practicing more and making my game more consistent. Good advice for anyone. Nothing would be worse than buying blades and mishitting shots. I understand there can be heavenly bliss if I find the sweet spot, but otherwise it could be disaster.
                I think I have an old Accuform PTM 7 iron in the basement. I will regrip it and see how well (or poorly) I can hit it. Before I make a big mistake.

Comment

I have a set o Macgregor blades for sale ;-)
                  " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                  Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                  Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                  Ping i20
                  MacGregor response
                  Snickers tour bag
                  Pro V1

Comment

Originally posted by tacks451 View Post
                    I have a set o Macgregor blades for sale ;-)
                    I have a set in the garage,I play them occasionally

Comment

Originally posted by almostasenior View Post
                      Wow, I didn't expect such a quick and helpful response! Such knowledge and experience thank you.

It sounds like blades won't magically make me a scratch golfer lol. I think I will take the advice of practicing more and making my game more consistent. Good advice for anyone. Nothing would be worse than buying blades and mishitting shots. I understand there can be heavenly bliss if I find the sweet spot, but otherwise it could be disaster.
                      I think I have an old Accuform PTM 7 iron in the basement. I will regrip it and see how well (or poorly) I can hit it. Before I make a big mistake.
                      the other option is a combo set, which I wish I had. When switching from a full CB set to a full set of blades, I noticed better distance control and workability, as well as immediate swing feedback in the short irons... the problem is, my bad shots with the long irons are now... really bad.

Comment

The JPX-900 series was a bit stronger lofted and lower spin head design. I had the JPX-900 Forged for a season, combined with a low launch shaft, and the end results were a ball-flight that was too low for my liking-> go figure

An old school blade with its traditional lofts will definitely play shorter than your JPX-900 set, so be prepared to take 1 more club all the time.

Modern blades would be more playable in both forgiveness and distance as the lofts are bit stronger too these days. Some blade heads are much larger too than they used to be, such as the Srixon Z-Forged or New Level 623-M ( had both, just sold my Srixons today) . I'd easily recommend either of those 2 for a modern blade. Or move up to the Mizuno MP-series for better feel, and any of the Srixon irons.

OP: keep working at getting yourself to a low 80's player, then the occasional high 70's. Something that requires no physical skill that can save strokes is course management to avoid the big-number. We all make swing mistakes so taking a single bogey is no issue. But when you take a double-bogey or worse, re-live that hole and think if there were decisions on club selection or shot risks that could have been avoided. Playing for a pain-free bogey is often better than then hero shot that ends up worse. With a score-card full of Pars, single-bogeys, and hopefully a birdie or 2 will get you into carding 80 +/- soon enough.
                        Last edited by ARL67; Jan 14, 2021, 08:33 PM.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

It Never hurts to have a 2-3-4...sets of Irons ! This Site is Called GOLFNUTS up

Comment

Thanks tacks451. I will have a look at your ad. I only remember MacGregor irons looking so small and thin.

Simmers, unfortunately I am heading that way lol. I think I now have 3 sets of fairway woods. I need to start selling the stuff collecting dust.

Thank you ARL67 for your post and advice. Unfortunately the worst part of my game is in my head. I can bang a bucket of balls on the range with 95% accuracy. I get to the first tee and become a nervous wreck. Too much thinking when it comes to making the shot!
                            I have shot front or back 9s in the 39-40 but I always have a couple of blow up holes or 3 putt holes and I suddenly card a 46 or so on the other nine lol. It's a crazy game but one I would never give up. Except for those days when nothing goes right and you lose 5 balls and score in the 90s aargh.
                            Good advice on reliving the bad holes. I think my tendency is to forget them ASAP. I should use them as a learning opportunity to avoid what I just did. Which I am trying to forget lol.

Thanks again everyone. I hope tacks451 clubs don't draw me in

Comment

if you think circa '80 blades will sharpen your iron play go ahead but, don't stop at the irons, do the whole package with steel shafted persimmon woods too.
                              IMHO, It's the advances in the woods and their graphite shafts that have changed the game the most.
                              Last edited by bl8d; Jan 15, 2021, 05:38 AM.
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X