Collapse

Modern Golf Fitting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Golf Fitting

Did the "full bag" fitting last night at Modern Golf. I wasn't going to change my wedges, putter nor driver. Was only looking at irons and hybrids. So "part bag" fitting is more like it.

Started off warming up with wedges before diving into irons. Hit about 4-5 shots with my irons. Tried the following:
    Srixon Z7
    Taylor Made P770
    Callaway Apex Pro
    Titleist T100
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro

All with the shaft that I was already fitted for by TXG about 3 1/2 years ago. Tried another "hot to market" shaft called MMT. Didn't like it. Back to the Modus 105S that I've been playing.

Hit them all. Fitter was none other than TGN's own Jeff Swain. Recommended all the right club head to get more height and spin which was what I was looking for. The universal connecting system added a bit of weight to the club so the shaft felt different than what I'm used to. The grip they had also was too big for me. Jeff replaced the grip more my size. Made a big difference. Ultimately, Jeff suggested that I hit my own clubs really well and to get more height and spin to weaken the loft. He bent them 1* weak and got the same results from all the new clubs. Great. Don't need to buy new irons. I hit about 6-7 balls with my bent weak iron. Height increased by about 10 feet and spin went up too to the best of the new heads. Was really happy. He bent all my irons to match.

Then went into hybrid. Told him the same thing. Want it to go higher and stop faster. Hit mine for baseline. I was hitting it well. Gave me a few heads to try that was high launching and a few shafts. Ultimately I was hitting mine just as good if not better. He made a tweak to the lie angle and hit about 3 shots in a row that you could throw a bath towel over. Ok, fitting over. Had time to kill and being a club Junkie, I couldn't walk out without buying anything. Went over my driver and 5 wood setup. Hit my 5 wood first. He wouldn't change anything. Was carrying it 230 and landing steep so nothing to do. I did try out the Epic Speed 4 wood. It felt really good but didn't gain much from it as my existing setup was better. Then told Jeff wanted to try driver shafts. They didn't have Autoflex to try although I saw they had built up 4 of them in the build room. No problem. Hit a few others I liked like Ventus Velocore and ultimately settled on Ventus Red 5S. Lighter weight and stable. Swing speed went up to 108 on trackman which is about 111 on GCQuad. My high on GCQuad was previously 108 on good strikes. Maybe 110 once but bad contact. Will find out tomorrow how long it'll take. Hope not too long. Still had half an hour or so to kill so he wanted to see what he could do with my 3 wood. Hit 4 shots and they went as far as my driver off the deck so that was the end of the conversation. Told him wasn't worried about holding greens. It was for hitting off the tee on tight holes and hitting it as far as possible on unreachable par 5s. Wrapped things up wrote up the order, paid for it, and done.

The fitting bays are very private. Individual rooms with full-length glass. No concerns about other people watching etc. Maybe the occasional staff walking by. Not that it matters but could affect some self-conscious individuals.

So in the end, paid the fitting fee which was credited toward the purchase of the shaft. Tweaks were done on the spot. Very happy with the experience. Abandoned MG a few years ago when some staff literally wouldn't give you the time of day. Things change and people change. Happy to see the direction of MG along with TXG. GTA area is very lucky to have two world-class fitting studios so close to each other.

Any questions, let me know.

I have a full bag fitting at Modern at the end of the month so thanks for the write up. Nice that they were able to do a fix on your current gear as opposed to pushing you into a purchase. Did they mention anything about certain brands of clubs/shafts having longer lead times?

Comment

I purchased a full bag fitting from Modern Golf as well. I haven't booked yet as I want to get my swing into in-season form first.

Does anyone have any recommendations for specific fitters at Modern Golf? I wish they had the fitters' profiles on their website.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Had a similar experience with Jeff for my putter fitting. Took a few strokes on Quintic and all the numbers looked good so he told me he wouldn't change anything at all. Had a lot of time left so decided to roll a few more putts with different putters they had available but none felt as good as my current one... So I walked away without purchasing anything lol. I appreciated the fact that they weren't trying to sell me stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerFade27 View Post
          I have a full bag fitting at Modern at the end of the month so thanks for the write up. Nice that they were able to do a fix on your current gear as opposed to pushing you into a purchase. Did they mention anything about certain brands of clubs/shafts having longer lead times?
          Imagine things will be dynamic. He did explicitly mention that TM P770 will be June delivery. I just checked on Taylor Made's site with their customize feature. May 21 for their heads. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by westbeach View Post

Imagine things will be dynamic. He did explicitly mention that TM P770 will be June delivery. I just checked on Taylor Made's site with their customize feature. May 21 for their heads. Yikes.
            Holy that's a long time. Glad they were upfront about it though. Last thing you would want is to fall in love with a set and then find out they wont be delivered for 2+ months.

Comment

All thing related to golf will be back-ordered. Some shafts are back ordered until middle of summer. Some grips until June. Mizuno will be an issue from what I've heard from industry insiders. They're only starting to build orders placed early February.

Comment

Has anyone heard about Titleist and Vokey lead times?

Comment

Sounds great! Jeff did the stamping on my irons and wedges; I've been thinking of adding some things. Glad to hear he is still there: truly a quality individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                    Has anyone heard about Titleist and Vokey lead times?
                    4-5 weeks from what I was told for a few wedges

Winner winner, chicken dinner
                    TM P790s 4-9
                    Vokey SM8 50, 54, 60
                    Scotty Cameron Newport

Comment

Titleist is by far the best in the industry right now in terms of lead times.

Taylormade P series irons are the worst models right now in terms of back orders for clubs.

There is a lot of over exaggeration going on right now on lead times, you see it on forums, social media etc. Its always best to ask your fitter, the brands are giving very clear information on what is going on and any experienced fitting shop will know this information in advance. We generally pull heads out of the drawers that are back ordered or a problem.

Balls and grips are likely to be the biggest issue this summer. We've been told no TaylorMade Golf balls until mid June. Fortunately we loaded up and will have some deals for everyone!
                      Last edited by ModernGolf; Mar 19, 2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

P.S. thanks for the kind words everyone and the great review from westbeach!

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

Taylormade P series irons are the worst models right now in terms of back orders for clubs.

There is a lot of over exaggeration going on right now on lead times, you see it on forums, social media etc. Its always best to ask your fitter, the brands are giving very clear information on what is going on and any experienced fitting shop will know this information in advance. We generally pull heads out of the drawers that are back ordered or a problem.

Balls and grips are likely to be the biggest issue this summer. We've been told no TaylorMade Golf balls until mid June. Fortunately we loaded up and will have some deals for everyone!
                          That first part makes me happy haha. Considering the season is almost here having my new irons and wedges early will be great.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

The second worst brand for delays is looking to be PING, nothing as bad as last year though, but we are monitoring it.

Comment

I had a really good experience at MG 2-3 weeks ago too. My fitter was very patient and helped me narrow down my options. I ended up with some options I’d never have picked myself.

I also really liked that my fitter provided me with upfront information regarding potential shipping delays with specific brands, instead of telling me after the fact.

Overall, I was pleased with the overall experience and impressed by the facilities.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X