Collapse

Shaft Length

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft Length

I’m 18 years old, I quit for a while and just started getting serious about it again, I have about 75 rounds on a set of pings from off the rack. I’m 5’7 and feel like they are a little long, I live pretty far north and a fitting isn’t really an option right now, Is it fair to say that at 5’7 I should be playing a 1/4” or -1/2”?

Originally posted by Ob16 View Post
    I’m 18 years old, I quit for a while and just started getting serious about it again, I have about 75 rounds on a set of pings from off the rack. I’m 5’7 and feel like they are a little long, I live pretty far north and a fitting isn’t really an option right now, Is it fair to say that at 5’7 I should be playing a 1/4” or -1/2”?
    Ping has a online self-fitting chart that takes your height ,wrist to floor measurement ,and the length of you middle finger for the proper grip size into consideration.
    give it a try.
    The wrist to floor is the most important for determining your ideal shaft length

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

Ping has a online self-fitting chart that takes your height ,wrist to floor measurement ,and the length of you middle finger for the proper grip size into consideration.
      give it a try.
      The wrist to floor is the most important for determining your ideal shaft length

https://ca.ping.com/en-ca/fitting/iron-color-code-chart
      The length of your middle finger is the most important for determining...[your answer here].

Comment

Height is one of several variables that impact club specs.

grab a dry erase marker, baby powder or green painters tape on the face and take some swings with 3 clubs, say the w, 7, 5 ....look at where the ball mark is on the face and also look at your ball flight.( if your irons are too long the ball is going to want to hook for a right handed golfer) Ideally you also want to look at your divot pattern but not really something easy to do at this time of year when using mats.

Now choke up on the clubs 1/2 inch and do the same thing and look at where the ball os contacting the face and the shot shape you are getting. See which provides you with best centre contact pattern and straightest flight.

You can also try longer or shorter but IMO, shortening 1/4 inch is not worthwhile.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I am approximately the same height as you, and I have always felt that 'gripping down' the shaft a little bit resulted in better contact with my irons, especially the 4/5/6. However, I also found that the natural tapering of the grip made it slightly more difficult to grip the club properly.

I am going for an iron fitting on Monday, and I fully expect to get shafts which are a full 1" less than standard. Also, because I use extra-thick grips on all of my clubs, being able to use the 'fat' of the grips is important to how the club feels in my hands. So, reducing the shaft length is essential for getting a truly proper fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

The length of your middle finger is the most important for determining...[your answer here].
            the depth of your commitment ?lol Ka-ping!
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Height is one of several variables that impact club specs.

grab a dry erase marker, baby powder or green painters tape on the face and take some swings with 3 clubs, say the w, 7, 5 ....look at where the ball mark is on the face and also look at your ball flight.( if your irons are too long the ball is going to want to hook for a right handed golfer) Ideally you also want to look at your divot pattern but not really something easy to do at this time of year when using mats.

Now choke up on the clubs 1/2 inch and do the same thing and look at where the ball os contacting the face and the shot shape you are getting. See which provides you with best centre contact pattern and straightest flight.

You can also try longer or shorter but IMO, shortening 1/4 inch is not worthwhile.
              Thanks for the reply, one of the main reasons I have wondered that my clubs are too long is the ball flight. My miss hits usually come off the tee box and result in a big high hook, even though my my swing path is slightly out to in with a relatively straight ball flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

I am approximately the same height as you, and I have always felt that 'gripping down' the shaft a little bit resulted in better contact with my irons, especially the 4/5/6. However, I also found that the natural tapering of the grip made it slightly more difficult to grip the club properly.

I am going for an iron fitting on Monday, and I fully expect to get shafts which are a full 1" less than standard. Also, because I use extra-thick grips on all of my clubs, being able to use the 'fat' of the grips is important to how the club feels in my hands. So, reducing the shaft length is essential for getting a truly proper fit.
                Changing from a standard to midsize grip on my irons is something I am definitely considering along with getting them shortened. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Changing from a standard to midsize grip on my irons is something I am definitely considering along with getting them shortened. Thanks for the reply.
                  Go through the Ping webfit tool, it may reveal something and it’s absolutely free.

Should reveal grip size, shaft length and lie angle at minimum.

It’s a great app.
                  Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                  Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                  Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                  Ping G400 4H - 22*
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                  Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                  Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X