Collapse

A little upgrade goes a long way...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little upgrade goes a long way...

Hey guys, hope you all doing well and staying safe out there. Just thought I'd share some photos of a little upgrade to my sticks for this upcoming season.

I currently game a combo set of Maltby MMB-Black Edition PW-5i with a DBM 4i on PX 6.0's. When I built the set a couple of years ago, I blacked everything out to keep it all stealthy. (See first two photos) But this season, I thought I'd throw it back a bit a la Ben Hogan and go for a more classic look.

I got the ferrules off eBay for around $25 and just went with some trusty dollar store red nail polish for the paint fill. And finished it off with some clear top coat, also from the dollar store.

In the past I've gotten pretty lucky with ferrules matching up with the hosel with little to no sanding needed but not the case this time around. The ferrules weren't exactly of the highest quality but for the price, I was good to give them a shot. Now I really didn't want to invest in a 1x42 belt sander for the minimal use it would get or even taking it over to my local GT to take them down. (Long story) So I just threw them in the vice and gently sanded them by hand with a combination of 150 and 320 grit sand paper cut into 3/4" strips making sure I rotated the the club 90* to keep everything even. It honestly didn't take that much time (about 3-4min per club). A few quick swipes of acetone afterwards in the adjacent direction to bring back the shine and they were good to go.

All and all, I think it was a great learning experience and I'm really happy how they turned out.

Looking forward to bringing them out to the course for a few hacks...if I could just get a damn tee time booked (sigh).

Swing Ez,
    BigB3n
    Attached Files

Very Nice Look !!

FYI- This belt sander & disc combo is great value at $150. I use mine all the time during my club-building projects.
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/comb...t/PA0008532293

I just completed a build of Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 and went with coloured aluminum ferrules from a seller on eBay "BigFootGolf". Aside from their good looks and fit, they weigh 4.5g which I needed for my short-length builds to get my swing weights right. I also bought some Stainless Steel and Copper ferrules which weigh 13g and 15g respectively. I'll be starting a new thread on that build in the next few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrule.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	3349506
    WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
    Titleist TS2 13.5 fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
    Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
    Mizuno JPX-900F GW with Steelfiber i110cw
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* Mid & 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
    Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
    Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
    *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! ***

Comment

Originally posted by BIG B3N View Post
      Hey guys, hope you all doing well and staying safe out there. Just thought I'd share some photos of a little upgrade to my sticks for this upcoming season.

I currently game a combo set of Maltby MMB-Black Edition PW-5i with a DBM 4i on PX 6.0's. When I built the set a couple of years ago, I blacked everything out to keep it all stealthy. (See first two photos) But this season, I thought I'd throw it back a bit a la Ben Hogan and go for a more classic look.

I got the ferrules off eBay for around $25 and just went with some trusty dollar store red nail polish for the paint fill. And finished it off with some clear top coat, also from the dollar store.

In the past I've gotten pretty lucky with ferrules matching up with the hosel with little to no sanding needed but not the case this time around. The ferrules weren't exactly of the highest quality but for the price, I was good to give them a shot. Now I really didn't want to invest in a 1x42 belt sander for the minimal use it would get or even taking it over to my local GT to take them down. (Long story) So I just threw them in the vice and gently sanded them by hand with a combination of 150 and 320 grit sand paper cut into 3/4" strips making sure I rotated the the club 90* to keep everything even. It honestly didn't take that much time (about 3-4min per club). A few quick swipes of acetone afterwards in the adjacent direction to bring back the shine and they were good to go.

All and all, I think it was a great learning experience and I'm really happy how they turned out.

Looking forward to bringing them out to the course for a few hacks...if I could just get a damn tee time booked (sigh).

Swing Ez,
      BigB3n
      Nice, great looking irons, keep up the great work.

Comment

love the black Finnish better lol but that's just me.
        What's in the bag

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 9.0 Degree
        Callaway XR 3 wood
        Callaway xr 5 wood
        Adams 4,5,6 Hybrids
        Titleist AP2 Irons
        Titleist vokey wedge 54 degree
        Titleist volley wedge 58 degree
        Ping redwood putter

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
          Very Nice Look !!

FYI- This belt sander & disc combo is great value at $150. I use mine all the time during my club-building projects.
          https://www.princessauto.com/en/comb...t/PA0008532293

I just completed a build of Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 and went with coloured aluminum ferrules from a seller on eBay "BigFootGolf". Aside from their good looks and fit, they weigh 4.5g which I needed for my short-length builds to get my swing weights right. I also bought some Stainless Steel and Copper ferrules which weigh 13g and 15g respectively. I'll be starting a new thread on that build in the next few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrule.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	3349506
          Ohhh...those ferrules are sweet! And thanks for the kind words. Built my first set of snake eyes 675B's over 13 years ago and just always loved doing this as a hobby. Also adds some sentimental value when gaming clubs that you built from scratch. As for the belt sander, thanks for the link. I'll check it out but I may just stick with the old hand sander method....got too much crap in my garage to begin with as well. Lol. Hope that srixon build goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by outthere View Post

Nice, great looking irons, keep up the great work.
            Thanks man! Appreciate the kind words. My brother just picked up a set of KZG OZ heads so that'll be my first build for someone other than myself. Looking forward to it tho. Stay safe and swing Ez.

Comment

Originally posted by wong94 View Post
              love the black Finnish better lol but that's just me.
              Yah, love the blacked out stealth look as well. Just figured to give this colour way a try for a few season. Who knows, may end up going back to it down the road. Cheers man.

Comment

Very nice look on the irons (as opposed to the lofted wedges).

Comment

That is a sweet looking set. Nicely done.
                  WITB
                  9.5 Nike Covert
                  15 TM Rocketballz
                  3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                  52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                  TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by BIG B3N View Post

Yah, love the blacked out stealth look as well. Just figured to give this colour way a try for a few season. Who knows, may end up going back to it down the road. Cheers man.
                    I've picked up the SM8's wedges 54 and 58, with the jet black with the black onyx shafts. I just Love the way they look very stealthy Cheers man I love your work very professional.
                    What's in the bag

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 9.0 Degree
                    Callaway XR 3 wood
                    Callaway xr 5 wood
                    Adams 4,5,6 Hybrids
                    Titleist AP2 Irons
                    Titleist vokey wedge 54 degree
                    Titleist volley wedge 58 degree
                    Ping redwood putter

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                      Very nice look on the irons (as opposed to the lofted wedges).
                      Thank you for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by wong94 View Post

I've picked up the SM8's wedges 54 and 58, with the jet black with the black onyx shafts. I just Love the way they look very stealthy Cheers man I love your work very professional.
                        Yah, the blacked out SM8 wedges are pretty sweet. And thanks man. Learned a lot from the guys on here and can't forget about YouTube. Lol

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X