Collapse

Wedge Shafts - same as irons?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedge Shafts - same as irons?

Can't find a similar questions, but: when ordering new wedges, should the shaft remain the same weight as my irons? I play Dynamic S300 shafts in all my irons, stock shaft for Vokey's are S200. Should I change to S300? Consistency means a lot to me...

Best to just go hit some of each. I have stiffer shafts in my irons than in my wedges and really like it but you won't know if it is for you until you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
      Can't find a similar questions, but: when ordering new wedges, should the shaft remain the same weight as my irons? I play Dynamic S300 shafts in all my irons, stock shaft for Vokey's are S200. Should I change to S300? Consistency means a lot to me...
      Typically players prefer something a little heavier and sometimes softer in their wedges. Could depend on usage, do you swing your wedges as hard as your irons? If so maybe the same flex could work.

There was a thread on here and I couldn't find it either.

PING G410 Plus 9* & 10.5*
      PING G25 4 wood
      PING G400 7 wood
      PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid
      PING G400 5 - UW
      Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
      PING Anser 1966 TR
      Titleist Tour Soft yellow
      Hooferlite Mr. Ping edition
      Bag Boy Nitron cart

SW July 20 204.5 > GW Nov 2 175
      How it's going -

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Typically players prefer something a little heavier and sometimes softer in their wedges. Could depend on usage, do you swing your wedges as hard as your irons? If so maybe the same flex could work.

There was a thread on here and I couldn't find it either.
        Realistically I would only occasionally hit a full shot with a 54 (never take a full swing with a 58). 54 and 58 are primary used around the green or for pitch shots inside of 70 yards.

I think I'm leaning to keeping them the same weight and flex as my irons.

Comment

It's a very small(negligible)raw weight difference, not a flex difference. They are both rated Stiff. Don't start looking for problems were there aren't any.IMHO
          things change

Comment

Got fitted for wedges (and iron shafts) not too long ago and what my fitter did was put the same shaft as my irons into my 50 degree, then for 55 and 60 put in wedge shafts. Reason being is that I use my 50 degree in full swing much of the time so he said it made more sense to match that of my regular iron shafts.
            I'm still waiting on them to be built so it will be interesting to see if I feel much of a difference.

Comment

Realistically I would only occasionally hit a full shot with a 54 (never take a full swing with a 58). 54 and 58 are primary used around the green or for pitch shots inside of 70 yards.

I think I'm leaning to keeping them the same weight and flex as my irons.
              True Temper did a survey at a PGA tour stop of 100 players, out of 100 players almost 50% played the same shaft as their irons, the other players all went with something softer in their wedges.

Really boils down to personal preference I think, I'm a Dave Pelz fan and buy in to his logic for going softer in wedges, he takes it even further by advocating wedges get softer and softer, so LW is softer than SW which is softer than GW.
              PING G25 4 wood
              PING G400 7 wood
              PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid
              PING G400 5 - UW
              Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
              PING Anser 1966 TR
              Bag Boy Nitron cart

How it's going -

Comment

Just to edit my OP - my iron shafts are actually True Temper XP-95 S300, which are actually very lightweight at 95g. The True Temper S300's are about 130g. I imagine I'll need to find a much lighter shaft for these wedges if I want to keep it close to my irons.
                Last edited by gushamilton; Apr 12, 2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Just to edit my OP - my iron shafts are actually True Temper XP-95 S300, which are actually very lightweight at 95g. The True Temper S300's are about 130g. I imagine I'll need to find a much lighter shaft for these wedges if I want to keep it close to my irons.
                  That would be a pretty significant jump in weights, maybe check these out.

Seem to be designed to work with lighter weight steel iron shafts.

https://www.truetemper.com/products/...amic-gold-115/
                  PING G25 4 wood
                  PING G400 7 wood
                  PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid
                  PING G400 5 - UW
                  Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
                  PING Anser 1966 TR
                  Bag Boy Nitron cart

How it's going -

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

That would be a pretty significant jump in weights, maybe check these out.

Seem to be designed to work with lighter weight steel iron shafts.

https://www.truetemper.com/products/...amic-gold-115/
                    Thanks - ya, I agree that I'll have to find a much lighter shaft to stay close to my irons. Just checking to see what custom shaft I can get through Titleist

Comment

So I was able to get the exact same shafts as the ones on my irons (xp-95) as the info I found among fitters is pretty consistent in that the shafts should be the same (except for low cappers/pro's).

So I should have the SM8 10 bounce/S grind in 54 and 58 in the bag in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X