Collapse

Swingweight estimation help pls!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingweight estimation help pls!

Hi nuts. I am using Nippon 1050gh shaft R flex (106g) on my PW (296g head weight) and a 950gh S flex (98g) in my GW (295g head weight). How much lead tape do I need to match the swingweight of the PW? Do I require tape on the head only or have some below the grip as well?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure on the amount but i do that to calculate it accurately you need the grip weight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by newy View Post
      Not sure on the amount but i do that to calculate it accurately you need the grip weight as well.
      Same grips on both. 47g Tour velvet microsuede with 3 wraps.

Comment

Forget the number -> close your eyes and go by feel -> add lead tape until it feels & performs right.
        Other than their total weight per shaft, you also do not know if the 1050 and 950 have the same balance points, which will affect their SW. Using the Steelfiber shafts as an example, the i110cw series is much lower in SW ( by up to 2-3 points ) than the i95cw series.

FYI: In my most resent MOI build of Srixon ZX's ( now having my own Auditor MOI Speed-Match device ) , my PW was built to a specific MOI number to match the set, but just did not feel right ( light SW ) , so I added lead tape until I liked it. I also feel my 7i in that set, again built to a specific MOI number, is a bit SW heavy. On its own I don't notice it, but if I progress through my set from GW-PW-9-8-7-6-5 , I do notice the 7i to be a tad heavy. I'm pretty tuned in to SW changes, even if it is just 1-2g of head-weight difference. As much as I am a math-guy, you still have to trust your hands and let them be the over-riding decision maker , IMO of course
        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Hey Tim,

Assuming the balance point is the same, generally one would add 1 SWP for a change in weight class.
          1 SWP would require 2g of tape on the head. I would start with that. But many of us like heavier wedges, so don't be surprised if you might want more. You are also changing flexes, so that is something you can't accommodate for until you start swinging and see how it feels for how you use this GW club. I'd just start with tape on the head. I've never personally added tape to a shaft, never saw the need.

I have always used my GW for full shots and greenside chipping, no half shots, so want the shaft and feel to match my set. Others use the GW as a versatile partial shot club, so may be happier with a different flex and have their GW head match their SW-LW.
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Very insightful. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I'm no expert on SW/club building but I've used the following site for DIY swingweight calculations... might be helpful

Driver: Ping G410 LST 9*, Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X
              Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15*, Tensei AV RAW Blue 75 TX
              Utility: Cobra Speedzone 4 Iron (19*) MMT 105TX
              Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5-GW, Project X LZ 6.0
              Wedges: CBX2 52, 56 and RTX4 62
              Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Double Wide

Comment

I guess the question I have for the OP is why does he feel it is important to build the club with a swingweight that matches his pw ?

I can build a sledehammer to have the same swingweight as your pw, what would that achieve ?
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

agree with Weirfan in that Swingweight is a "slight of hand."

your concern should be the total weight of the wedge and whether you still have control at your 80% speed.
                  I don't know anyone who has full control of their wedge at max speed.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    I guess the question I have for the OP is why does he feel it is important to build the club with a swingweight that matches his pw ?

I can build a sledehammer to have the same swingweight as your pw, what would that achieve ?
                    I am looking to have it feel as close to my PW as possible when taking full swings and looking to see how best to make up for the 8g shaft weight difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmmmtim View Post

I am looking to have it feel as close to my PW as possible when taking full swings and looking to see how best to make up for the 8g shaft weight difference.
                      Have a look at this site,
                      Measuring swingweight and MOI. MOI matching using a swingweight scale.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X