Collapse

Heavy Swingweight Drivers

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Swingweight Drivers

Since lockdown, I've been experimenting a lot with with driver shaft length again, heavy and light grips, and swing-weights, etc. For length, I have tried longer and shorter on many occasions and always seem to settle of 45-1/4".

One surprising combo that has proven to be great for me in the Sim ( a few outings so far ) is my TS3 10.5 head with an old Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 Stiff from 8-9 years ago . This was some shaft I had lying around from a former short-length 44.0" experiment many years ago with a Cobra Bio Cell Pro head. I added back an extension and it now plays to 44-3/4" and also has a heavy tip weight. It has a SW of D7.5 with a typical Tour Velvet grip, though I am using a heavy CP2 Wrap Jumbo which results in a lower SW of D3. Other than the measured SW resulting from the grips, there is also a large total weight difference of about 30g from the Standard TV vs the Jumbo CP2.

With my irons I am very picky on SW and definitely to not like them to feel too SW heavy.
    ( I like D2.5 for my 9i , then getting progressively lighter per each longer club )

Is anyone else having good success with a very heavy SW Driver ?
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Tried it a couple years ago and screwed up my elbow. At least I think that was what screwed it up

Good luck!

Comment

I bought lead tape to play around with my irons but never did yet. That is a winter project. As for driver I have a Cobra speedzone and I tested two 14 g weights instead of the 14 and 2 stock setup and I found it easier to hit harder but I found it harder to square the face which could be due to the ratio of 14 g to 2g being changed to am even ratio . At any rate I also found it easier to feel the head which let me get a wider and smoother arc.

My highest ball speeds were with the 14 and 2 setup though .

​​​​​​As for shaft I found a heavier shaft added distance right away I gained yardage moving into a 72 g shaft .

Have fun tinkering. It's fun to see what the feels like. I tried no weights in the head and it was not a good feel for me at all haha.

There is an article that I read stating Bryson actually went lighter in his head and grips during his transition towards those higher speeds he was getting . If ur gonna go heavier on the head try the tour lock counter Weights and u can keep the swing Weight low still.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
        Since lockdown, I've been experimenting a lot with with driver shaft length again, heavy and light grips, and swing-weights, etc. For length, I have tried longer and shorter on many occasions and always seem to settle of 45-1/4".

One surprising combo that has proven to be great for me in the Sim ( a few outings so far ) is my TS3 10.5 head with an old Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 Stiff from 8-9 years ago . This was some shaft I had lying around from a former short-length 44.0" experiment many years ago with a Cobra Bio Cell Pro head. I added back an extension and it now plays to 44-3/4" and also has a heavy tip weight. It has a SW of D7.5 with a typical Tour Velvet grip, though I am using a heavy CP2 Wrap Jumbo which results in a lower SW of D3. Other than the measured SW resulting from the grips, there is also a large total weight difference of about 30g from the Standard TV vs the Jumbo CP2.

With my irons I am very picky on SW and definitely to not like them to feel too SW heavy.
        ( I like D2.5 for my 9i , then getting progressively lighter per each longer club )

Is anyone else having good success with a very heavy SW Driver ?
        My12* lofted Anser, shafted with a Harrison 2.5 FL at 45.6 is at D7.5 . I don't notice it as heavy and ball marks are where they should be. Total weight is 329gr.

The 1995 Bubble burner drivers were 45" stock length and commonly at D8
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X