Collapse

Looking for Air Compressor Suggestions/Installation Tips

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Air Compressor Suggestions/Installation Tips

So ive recently moved and always said i plan on setting up a small hobby/DIY shop.

First thing i want to do is some grips for myself. I currently play bestgrips which are blown on by MG with masking tape. I wanna blow them off and add some layers to test sizes.

1) can anyone recommend an air compressor? Crappy tire has a bunch on sale at the moment. Not sure what i need.

2) do i need one of the special grip attachments or will a regular nosel blower with a in line regulator do?

3) i eventually plan on getting a bench/vice setup but right now no room? Would i Be able to blow my grips off and on without a vice for now? (They arent on with 2 sided tape) and if so any tips?

Thanks.

Hey J.

I use a Crappy Tire $100 tire inflator. In my experience I’ve never used more than 85psi to remove or install a grip. You have to be careful that an air bubble isn’t created as it will compromise the grip, so start about 70psi and see how that goes.

I’m using the standard plastic tip that came with the compressor and has been fine. The special compressor attachments that I’ve seen on YouTube along with a more industrial compressor will be the best option. That way you can also regulate the passage of air in the grip rather than having it constantly on, which could create a bubble.

I have a B&D Workmate as my bench set-up. I have bought grip kits that included a cheap rubber shaft holder but I found that slicing an old grip and wrapping around the shaft worked best. The cheap rubber version would not grip the shaft well enough.

The air compressor will work on putter grips also but they are more rigid and will take a bit more elbow grease (figure of speech lol). Enjoy the process.

Comment

Hey Jason,

I have this Makita ( MAK700 ) which is not too loud, small, and 130 PSI:
      https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?eve...id=252&catid=4

However last week I was researching another compressor for my main use in Waterloo, and bring the Makita up to our summer place in Owen Sound. This DeWalt ( DWFP55126 ) seemed like the best option for me -> size, larger tank, higher PSI, lower noise, price:
      https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DWFP551.../dp/B00K34UZBW

This Bostitch unit looks to be the same thing and cheaper:
      https://www.amazon.ca/BOSTITCH-BTFP0..._df_B00UHNM1R0

You don't need all that PSI, but I want my compressor for other things than just golf stuff.

To guard against exploding grips, grab one of these plumbing tubes from Home Depot to slide over the grip:
      https://www.homedepot.ca/product/os-...ect/1000120364

I find some of the new Tour Velvet and Z-Grips to be very thin at the lower end, and may even tear even with the above tube in place. Take on old grip, cut the butt off, and slice it length wise. Place the butt end of that split grip over the lower end of the grip to be removed to fill up space, then putt the metal tuber over top. I only do this if a new shafts come my way and I'm not sure of the tape install. An exploding grip will leave your ears ringing and your fingers stinging.

You can just use the a standard air nozzle blower to insert in the grip hole.

You don't need a vice or clamp to blow your current ones off.
      Assuming only masking tape and not double-sided -> put the iron head between your feet, the shaft between your knees, and a quick squirt of air should get the grip moving. When installing, same thing. You will need to twist the grip near the end of its install to get the butt cap over the end of the shaft. It's not rocket-surgery, so you will get the hang of it soon enough.

Feel free to email me anytime direct at: Andy@LammerGroup.com if you have any questions regarding setting up a golf work-bench, or tools or supplies to buy. Over the winter, I'm going to post a thread on a full home golf-bench setup with links to tools, supplies, and pricing.
      WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
      Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
      Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
      Titleist TSi2 24* hybrid with Accra FX300H
      Srixon ZX5 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
      Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
      Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
      Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
      Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
      *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! ***

Comment

no offense, that tube suggestion is overkill. Just use a piece of 1 1/4 abs pipe. I bought a 3 ft piece from Rona and cut it down to a ft. If you're near Barrie anytime soon, I can give you a piece.

To start the grip a little easier, you can use soap on the last inch of the tape.
        Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
        3W - Taylormade M4
        5 wood - Callaway X Hot
        4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
        Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
        Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...9857p.html#srp

Assuming this should suffice?

Comment

That compressor would do nicely.

FYI: I've had that type of coiled plastic hose and twice snapped the hose when I accidentally dropped my nozzle on my concrete floor. My compressor is set at max 130 PSI. I have since bought a rubber air hose.

^^^ Yup any type of tube about 1.25" will do -> abs, pvc, whatever is handy.
            I was surprised how tight the Z-Grips were and used a light wipe of varsol over the masking tape to provide a bit of slip. Soap over the butt end is good too.
            Last edited by ARL67; Sep 10, 2021, 10:07 AM.
            WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
            Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
            Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
            Titleist TSi2 24* hybrid with Accra FX300H
            Srixon ZX5 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
            Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
            Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
            Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
            Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
            *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! ***

Comment

You don't need a big compressor . . . I have a small one, also check tire pressure, small finishing nail gun, . . .

It is Dewalt and bought it on sale, nailer and compressor. They now have the 20V one, also a nice option . . .
              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                I have that one, works great for grips, inflating tires and kids toys

Comment

I agree you don't need a large compressor. I have used a cheap Husky I got for $65.00 on sale. I have been using it for 15 years now. I put compressor attachments onto the hose so I could just snap on the attachments.
                  I got one of these compressor blowguns to to put the grips on. I just cut down the tip so it wasn't as long. It works great sliding it into the butt end of the grip.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...7987p.html#srp

Comment

Depending what your long term plans are for your shop always get something bigger than what you need. Check out Princess Auto as well as Costco. I would get at least a 20-30 gallon tank with at least 6 CFM at 90psi. It will allow you to spray paint as well as use a sandblaster if you ever need to.

Comment

On a side note. For buildup tape with no 2 sided use at all.

Masking tape
                      Green painters
                      Blue painters?

Or any of the 3 should be ok?

Thanks.

Comment

Personally I use the wide blue painters tape. It is easier to get off if you change your mind on the thickness

Comment

5 GALLON TWIN TANK AIR COMPRESSOR
                          Pump takes oil not oil-less
                          King Canada, Model: 8488C

I bought online at TSC last year for $189
                          https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produc...air-compressor

In the clubshop I have a big bore dual tank Makita.
                          For home use, I would recommend the King Canada one

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

If you get a bigger one you can have many other uses. I've had a small one for years I used at work to push beer, I've also got a spray paint attachment, and more recently got an impact wrench to get the lug nuts off but wasn't strong enough to break the nuts. Gauge shows I got 80/85 pounds but couldn't do it.
                            Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                            Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Have a look in the Buy -Sell section of this site ...I have a brand new compressor for sale...in original box
                              Thanks

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X