Collapse

Choke down or cut my driver shaft?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke down or cut my driver shaft?

I had a half-*** fitting a few years back and was told I'm standard across the board. My irons seem fine as I don't choke down on them unless I'm inside 100 yards and needing accuracy.

I have been choking WAY down on my driver this season and while I might be losing some yardage, my accuracy has been great. Got me thinking if I should cut the shaft by a 1/2 inch or even more and then continue to choke down, but not as much. When I say I choke down, it's almost to the bottom of the grip.

Also, would I do the same for my 3w because I choke down at that too.

Not really interested in another fitting cause I'm not looking to buy new equipment. Thoughts?

Hey Gus,

ok, I'll get the ball rolling....but it will probably end up confusing you more.

I had my old Big Bertha driver cut 1/2 inch many years ago (GT was reluctant to cut too much if any for fear of changing the club's balancing). I was a big slicer before that. Can't say that it helped much. Since then, I've had all sorts of problems including a few years where i was duck hooking like crazy. I suffer from a bit of an over the top swing and also a bit of Ranger Rick Syndrome (good on the range, terrible on the course). I've tried to experiment with my grip, stance, ball position, knee bend, reducing swing speed and yes, also gripping down on the club. Some of these have worked but i still lack the consistency.

I agree that gripping down appears to have helped a bit in SOME instances (in combination with teeing the ball a bit lower) - ends up with a low / straight-ish ball flight.

I would suggest you experiment with choking down (or anything else in your grip / stance / ball position / tee height / knee bend / alignment etc) before you take the drastic step of cutting the club down. You're essentially accomplishing the same thing. Look at Brooke Henderson - she seems to have found success by having a long driver and she chokes down (or perhaps just a normal grip but with the long driver, appears to choke down).

If all else fails, have a beer and relax.

Good luck !

Comment

I always cut my drivers as I play them shorter than standard and that works best for me. I choke down as well sometimes for accuracy but I cut them because I prefer to hold the club at the top part of the grip.

You choke down alot. Cutting half inch is very minimal and I'm not sure the point. If you want to cut as you want to hold the club in a thicker part of the grip than you could just regrip it adding more layers of tape to beef it up, or get a non taper grip like a ndmc+4.

Just my .002

Comment

Originally posted by Putts4Dough View Post
        I always cut my drivers as I play them shorter than standard and that works best for me. I choke down as well sometimes for accuracy but I cut them because I prefer to hold the club at the top part of the grip.

You choke down alot. Cutting half inch is very minimal and I'm not sure the point. If you want to cut as you want to hold the club in a thicker part of the grip than you could just regrip it adding more layers of tape to beef it up, or get a non taper grip like a ndmc+4.

Just my .002
        This is definitely something to consider. I am planning on re-gripping everything this winter and already use mid-sized, double wrapped MCC;s, but they taper at the bottom. Perhaps a thicker or non-tapered grip would do the trick.

Thanks!

Comment

As a guy carrying a 43 inch driver I can definitely say it helped me with accuracy. I don't bomb it (with any club), but I find this old driver perfect for my game. I did DIY cut it down, and never addressed swing weight, so perhaps I am the absolutely wrong person to ask!
          Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
          Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
          Nike 23 degree hybrid
          Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
          Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
          Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

I used to have a big swing flow so hit the ball almost always close to the heel (typical slicer). So I played with a shorter driver shaft for a while thinking that would help. In the end, I didn't like the slower swing speed so I got lessons and practice a lot to fix my swing and went back to a standard length.

To me, it's like putting a throttle limit on a nice sports car because you can't drive it properly. Better learn to drive and maximize the capability of the car.

Comment

For me, its all about finding that perfect length for you and everyone is different. I'm on the shorter side so it's 44.5" and I probably choke down half an inch.
              There's a length for everyone that allows them to hit the middle with speed.
              Swingweight is an issue for some but not all. I've cut down drivers to where they're like C6/C7 swingweight and it totally threw my timing off. So that is also something to address when cutting things short.

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
                I had a half-*** fitting a few years back and was told I'm standard across the board. My irons seem fine as I don't choke down on them unless I'm inside 100 yards and needing accuracy.

I have been choking WAY down on my driver this season and while I might be losing some yardage, my accuracy has been great. Got me thinking if I should cut the shaft by a 1/2 inch or even more and then continue to choke down, but not as much. When I say I choke down, it's almost to the bottom of the grip.

Not really interested in another fitting cause I'm not looking to buy new equipment. Thoughts?
                My cousin, who is a far better golfer than most, think he is sitting at +3 right now. He cuts down his driver by 3/4 of inch and 3 wood by 1/2 inch. He definitely loses distance but he prefers the accuracy and feeling.

People have asked him why he doesn't simply choke up at times but his answer is he prefers to be able to utilize the thicker part of the grip so he has to cut it.

Comment

I shortened my F9 from 45.5" to 45". Better dispersion and no loss of distance
                  TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9,5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*,Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
                  TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 18*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  T. Made R7 CGB Max 4-iron, REAX 55S
                  TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
                  TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/06, 60/06, Nippon 950H Neo
                  Cleveland RTX4 Raw, 56*, Tour Issue DG S400
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, Garsen non-taper grip

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
                    I had a half-*** fitting a few years back and was told I'm standard across the board. My irons seem fine as I don't choke down on them unless I'm inside 100
                    yards and needing accuracy.

If you are obtaining the results you want by choking down no matter how much you choke down...then do so.

If you do decide to cut the shaft don't cut off too much. I've always felt that if you decide to go back to it's standard length via a club extension....the club won't feel the same again.

I choke down on my driver about 3/4" and 1/2" on my 4W, 3H & 4H....for better ball strikes therefore better ball speed.
                    On average....I don't believe I'm giving up much on distance.
                    Solid ball strike is everything.

Comment

Choke down to where you feel comfortable. Gain the control you are looking for and then as it becomes the norm vs the exception, you can start to let the shaft out again in small increments so you you can have the best of both worlds - distance and control.

Comment

Choke down. If you cut it you alter both swing weight and shaft stiffness (don't be nasty.)

Comment

I find choking down is never the same as cutting down. Do one or the other to get what works for YOU, but the feel is not the same.
                          WITB for 2023 | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag -> 12 clubs
                          Titleist TSR2 11* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X
                          King Tec Forged 19* Hybrid | MMT 70R
                          Mizuno JPX-923 23* & 26* Hybrid | Steelfiber i95cw-R
                          Wilson D9 Forged 6-GW | Steelfiber i95cw-R
                          Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* | Steelfiber i110cw-X
                          Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                            I find choking down is never the same as cutting down. Do one or the other to get what works for YOU, but the feel is not the same.
                            From a true club/shaft profile/specs perspective it is not the same.... stiffness and club weight change with cutting down so there can be a feel difference for sure if one is going an inch or more.

Otherwise should not really be much of difference other than the feel on the grip and holding onto a more tapered part.

some folks ( me and likely you as well) have been tinkering with clubs for decades and so have honed our sensitivities and likes so might notice it more.

This year I have been choking down a lot on the driver when I need more control on a shot. i installed a larger grip and that has made it less of a discomfort.

Comment

You will lower the swing weight 3 points for every half inch you cut. You can add it back with some lead tape. Assuming same grip is going on.

For most people, shorter drivers are more accurate. I was using a 43.25" driver last year. Now I'm at 44.5" which i think is my max.

You will lose a bit of distance the shorter you go but it's not much. My 44.5 is about 10 yards longer than my 43.25.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X