No announcement yet.
Collapse

Choke down or cut my driver shaft?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may still tinker and cut it a 1/2" or 3/4" and use a bigger grip and continue to grip down, just not as much. At this point in my game, accuracy is way more important and my driver has been as straight as it ever has.

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
      I think I may still tinker and cut it a 1/2" or 3/4" and use a bigger grip and continue to grip down, just not as much. At this point in my game, accuracy is way more important and my driver has been as straight as it ever has.
      People Choke down for control, as mentioned, I do this regularly on tight holes. A shorter club will always be easier to hit straight than a longer one. Cutting the club just makes this change permanent.

I have advocated using shorter drivers on this site for well over a decade, 43.5-44.5. What often happens is people will actually gain distance because they are making a better strike and centre contact with the shorter club.

A half inch cut will minimally change the shaft flex (~1/4 of a flex) and change the swing weight by 3 points. Most people would not feel a 3 swingweight point difference. Remember that swing-weight was developed as a means to fine tune shaft flex.
      swing weight is not an actual weight but just an alphanumeric designation of the balance and weight distribution in the club. So when you cut the shaft shorter what you get is same head weight on a shorter beam length moving the balance point closer to the grip end. This may or not be something that is an issue as above the change is minuscule and most people won't be able to discern it. However, should you want to restore the club flex to what it was pre-cut adding ~ 6 grams of head weight will do the trick. Do not bother changing the grip weight as changes at the grip end do nothing to shaft flex.

if you go 3/4 of an inch then you are treading into noticeable territory and need to add 9 grams of head weight.

IMO, In general the slower and smoother the swing a person has the more impact these changes can have.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'm assuming your driver isn't adjustible otherwise just get a second shaft. My solution was 3 wood.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll end up cutting as much as inch off and add some head weight.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X