Collapse

Most suitable putter type for right hand right eye dominance player

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most suitable putter type for right hand right eye dominance player

Maybe there's already thread about it. But couldn't find a good answer. May it's not relevant. Any comments will help.

Originally posted by tongt View Post
    Maybe there's already thread about it. But couldn't find a good answer. May it's not relevant. Any comments will help.
    It's not. Jack Nicklaus was left eye dominant and used putters with maximum and moderate toe hang, i.e 8802 and Anser style heads. I doubt right eye dominant guys( like me) would be any different as I've used face balanced mallets, Anser style, and 8802 heads with the same success.
    King Cobra F9 9.5*D , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    King Cobra F9 15.5*D, UST Helium F2
    Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*D, Rogue MSI 95 70 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
    TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
    TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
    PXG Brandon, 34.5"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

It's not. Jack Nicklaus was left eye dominant and used putters with maximum and moderate toe hang, i.e 8802 and Anser style heads. I doubt right eye dominant guys( like me) would be any different as I've used face balanced mallets, Anser style, and 8802 heads with the same success.
      Agree 100%. I'm left eye dominant and actually switched my dominant hand when I putt to my right a year ago. I prefer face balanced mallets, but have had success with Anser style blades as well

Comment

The amount of offset seems to be the main difference, but the information is out there for you to interpret how you like.
        https://www.mytpi.com/en/articles/sw...g_a_new_putter

Comment

when I switched form lefty to right and from conventional to LHL seems like I also switched preference in putters as well

Comment

I don't think there is such a thing as a putter that is more suitable for right eye dominance.

IMO mallet heads are easier to line up due to the size of the line on the top of the putter which combined with the line on the ball. That combined line can extend over 4" which is a huge help IMO.

They should do an experiment on this. Blade vs mallet....which is easier to lineup.

Comment

keep in mind that during his time the heel shafted "8802 type" was still the dominant style of putter. What set Nicklaus apart was that even though the thinking was that a heel shafted putter was heavily preset for a " gate " stroke he never bought into that stroke instead opting for a "piston "stroke which is the forerunner of the SBST.
              things change

Comment

It's the sorcerer, not the wand.
                Many are seeking a silver bullet. It's really just find a putter that you like, then practice, practice practice and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                  It's the sorcerer, not the wand.
                  Many are seeking a silver bullet. It's really just find a putter that you like, then practice, practice practice and repeat.
                  Spot on. Putting lessons are also the most neglected aspect of the game. Get on a Sam Putt Lab and see where things are going wrong.

Comment

It will effect what you view as a neutral setup. Shaft lean will look different when looking down from your setup position. At address, close one eye, then the other to see what I’m talking about. If you are right eye dominant, and a right handed player, more often than not, you are increasing loft via shaft lean at address (shaft leaning back) causing speed and start line issues. If you were to close your right eye, you would lean the shaft forward decreasing loft (at what you believe to be neutral) This is not set in stone, but common.

Comment

I would bet that a large majority of golfers are right-eye dominant. I would also bet that there is no correlation between right vs left eye dominance and putting ability.

Personally, I'd select a putter that you can set up with confidently over the ball, whether one with a sight dot, flange line, offset, mallet, blade etc. Research has shown that putting cliches such as "eyes over the ball" and "aim the putter at the target" are really just myths. It's been proven that attempting to do these things may actually hinder your natural stroke and ultimately affect your putting skill.

All the best.

99% of the instruction you read in books and magazines, see on TV, or receive from your coach is correct. Itís just that most of it doesnít apply to you - Mike Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Divot Tool View Post

I would bet that a large majority of golfers are right-eye dominant. I would also bet that there is no correlation between right vs left eye dominance and putting ability.

I am left-eye dominant and putt right handed.

The issue for me is aiming, I find I have to stand "open" to see the line correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by okgndave View Post

I am left-eye dominant and putt right handed.

The issue for me is aiming, I find I have to stand "open" to see the line correctly.
                          Jack Nicklaus did exactly that.
                          King Cobra F9 9.5*D , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
                          King Cobra F9 15.5*D, UST Helium F2
                          Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*D, Rogue MSI 95 70 S
                          TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
                          TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
                          TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
                          TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
                          PXG Brandon, 34.5"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Jack Nicklaus did exactly that.
                            I remember reading that about him and that's why I started doing it.

Illustrates why there is no "one way" to do things in golf.

LAWS of Golf book is a good read on how different swings are needed for different body types.

Comment

Originally posted by okgndave View Post

I remember reading that about him and that's why I started doing it.

Illustrates why there is no "one way" to do things in golf.

LAWS of Golf book is a good read on how different swings are needed for different body types.
                              Excellent book! An eye-opener!
                              things change

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X