Collapse

Golf Club Epoxy

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
    In my recent Titleist T200 irons, I was surprised how easy it was to pull them -> required very little heat compared to my Golfworks 24-hour epoxy.

I also pulled a few Ping driver shafts this year and surprised how super-easy those came off -> I'm surprised the heads never flew off. These shafts had been reshafted, so not a factory install on the tips. Pings have a deeper collared ferrule and I'd say maybe only 3/4" to 7/8" max of actual surface contact. There are threads over at WRX about guys having trouble keep the Ping tips on the shafts ( prep is extra important on those )
    I've heard a few people say they've lost heads with the new Titleist line.

I couldn't believe how much heat was needed to pull some Mizuno heads a while back. They came off much easier when I reshafted them after I'd re-glued them.

Comment

Just my $.02 but I have tried the hardware store brand epoxy and it failed, as noted the melting point is also higher and I found the malleability (is that a word?) is not as good as the GW epoxy.

Failure seemed to be due to stress fracture in the bond as I noticed the ferrule "creeping upward" (the head was pulling downward) on 2 of the irons before anything bad happened. The heads in question pulled off almost immediately with little heat. The others required more heat than normal and I was glad I had not used any of the store branded stuff on any graphite shafts.

I humbly suggest using GW epoxy with the nice semi-flex (takes impact stress better) formula they use, and for the lower melting point.

Comment

Pretty much Always use Bramptons .mostly quick cure but depends, 24 hour cure in some cases and where time is not an issue.

proper preparation is the key ( and don’t use epoxy more than 1 year old or that might have been frozen)

With Bramptons I have had 2 heads come lose in 20 years and thousands of clubs , both were same job and due to a bad batch( expired) of epoxy.

I have used the Golfworks yuck cure tubes of epoxy in a pinch and it is perfectly fine. I don’t like black epoxy and at one time that is all they sold.

just did two sets of shaft extensions and for that I do prefer the Golfworks epoxy specially made for that purpose. It is more flexible and won’t become brittle over time leading to rattles. You can also adjust the mixture of normal epoxy to achieve the same thing.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Ah, chemistry rules!

It makes sense that some adjusting could leave it more flexible than normal, maybe some experimentation is in order.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X