/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Can you fit your clubs yourself based on some sort of measurements?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post

Amazing info that I should have dug up myself. Thanks for posting!

It seems the length and lie between these sets are almost identical 5 to PW. Since the only adjustment thru the webfit is a flat 1 degree lie I'm applying the specs to the ZX5 and ordering up directly from Srixon and saving myself $200.

Apologies to OP for the slight threadjack.
    Take DriveItHome's advice and hit both if you can.
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

You might be correct but the guy started his post with " he's broke" so sometimes you need to do what you need to do, headaches or not. In my younger, more cash strapped days I would spend hours fixing my car or repairing something that I could have paid someone a few bucks to do but I was broke and had time.

I used to do some club repairs for a guy, he always wanted me to save the grips and back then these were grips that cost a buck or 3 at most. The time and effort to remove a grip manually was certainly not worth the time or headache...lol

I'd imagine you learn a lot from trying to DIY. I know I have in other stuff.

The clubs are too long. I had the 5 iron out tonight, and to get a decent lie angle I have to choke up a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches, black dot i3's.

Anyway, I am gonna figure this out and I'm going to go ahead and ignore the wrist to floor measurement idea, I don't have straight posture or average length arms when I'm set up to hit the ball.

Basically, all my irons, when pretending to hit a ball, the heel is going to be hitting the ground first, by a lot. So the lie is way off for me.

Also, since I'm the OP, let's remember I only paid $120 for this set of irons........I'm not terribly concerned about making a mistake here. I'm broke but not that broke.

Just can't afford to go get fitted, but want new grips on these old (mint condition) irons, and want to fit them myself.

edit: and also a true Thank YOU for understanding sometimes a person doesn't have the funds to to things the way the internet wants, yet surely people of past and present are able to do it themselves.

edit #2: I love the clubs. They look like a blade looking down on them. Should be scary but I like it. But they're cavity back, cast not forged. Totally original graphite shafts.

They're really freaking long. What would be a good way to measure my 5 iron for you guys? From middle face to end of grip? This is where I'm getting lost. If I could figure out how to measure (from where to where) my clubs I could maybe figure some stuff out. But these old pings don't have hossels....I know I'm saying a lot of stupid stuff btw, but I can pull out a measuring tape and start to put 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for any help!
      Last edited by SmoggyTwinkles; Jan 1, 2022, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post

The clubs are too long. I had the 5 iron out tonight, and to get a decent lie angle I have to choke up a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches, black dot i3's.

Anyway, I am gonna figure this out and I'm going to go ahead and ignore the wrist to floor measurement idea, I don't have straight posture or average length arms when I'm set up to hit the ball.

Basically, all my irons, when pretending to hit a ball, the heel is going to be hitting the ground first, by a lot. So the lie is way off for me.

Also, since I'm the OP, let's remember I only paid $120 for this set of irons........I'm not terribly concerned about making a mistake here. I'm broke but not that broke.

Just can't afford to go get fitted, but want new grips on these old (mint condition) irons, and want to fit them myself.

edit: and also a true Thank YOU for understanding sometimes a person doesn't have the funds to to things the way the internet wants, yet surely people of past and present are able to do it themselves.

edit #2: I love the clubs. They look like a blade looking down on them. Should be scary but I like it. But they're cavity back, cast not forged. Totally original graphite shafts.

They're really freaking long. What would be a good way to measure my 5 iron for you guys? From middle face to end of grip? This is where I'm getting lost. If I could figure out how to measure (from where to where) my clubs I could maybe figure some stuff out. But these old pings don't have hossels....I know I'm saying a lot of stupid stuff btw, but I can pull out a measuring tape and start to put 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for any help!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	club length.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	3484731

Comment

Originally posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post

Thanks for any help!
          I still think you are best served taking them to GT for their regrip event and ask them how they measure and do it. As the club tech or one of the club staff can give you a quick measure and see what length you need approximately. However, if you are determined to do it yourself, you will need one of these https://www.golfworks.ca/the-golfwor...ruler/p/rul48/
          Taylormade SIM
          Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
          Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
          Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
          Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
          Vokey SM8 52/55/59
          Bettinardi Prototype

Comment

Every time I do the ping webfit it suggests an upright blue borderline yellow, plus 1/2 inch. I'm a tall guy, it makes sense. I extend them myself. But my swing flaw is outside in, which leads to a lot of pulls. Upright, I've read, will make the pulls worse. So when pulling the trigger on irons I have room for thought. Just something to add to the mix when thinking about club adjustments like the OP is thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
              Every time I do the ping webfit it suggests an upright blue borderline yellow, plus 1/2 inch. I'm a tall guy, it makes sense. I extend them myself. But my swing flaw is outside in, which leads to a lot of pulls. Upright, I've read, will make the pulls worse. So when pulling the trigger on irons I have room for thought. Just something to add to the mix when thinking about club adjustments like the OP is thinking.
              I found the same thing when I added length to my irons the pull was manageable if I don't try to hit it hard .

Comment

Originally posted by DriveItHome View Post

I still think you are best served taking them to GT for their regrip event and ask them how they measure and do it. As the club tech or one of the club staff can give you a quick measure and see what length you need approximately. However, if you are determined to do it yourself, you will need one of these https://www.golfworks.ca/the-golfwor...ruler/p/rul48/
                I will certainly inquire with GT what they can do for me before I do something on my own.

I've measured my clubs and they are all pretty accurately the standard length.

Don't really understand why a graphite shaft is a half inch longer than a steel shaft as standard?

Doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone btw. Can't wait to golf again, can't wait to have nicer grips on these clubs and hopefully be able to have a better lie for myself hopefully.

And I'd love to make a birdie this year Happy New year everyone!

Comment

Also keep in mind if you are critiquing your irons based on how they look ( toe up or toe down ) when in your setup stance, that your setup stance ( arms, wrists, hips ) is not even remotely close your impact position.

A great way to test for lie angle is with a Sharpie line drawn on a golf ball, set the ball down such that the line is vertical to the face of your iron, hit the ball with your iron, and inspect how the line looks on the club-face. The Sharpie line will imprint on the club-face and will indicate your true impact lie angle.

There are a couple good threads over at GolfWRX forums, and even a lie-angle sticker you can print out and attach to your clubface. Here is also a link to a video:
                  https://www.golfwrx.com/529812/diy-c...cal-line-test/
                  🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                  Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                  Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                  Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                  Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                  Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                  Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                  Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                    Also keep in mind if you are critiquing your irons based on how they look ( toe up or toe down ) when in your setup stance, that your setup stance ( arms, wrists, hips ) is not even remotely close your impact position.

A great way to test for lie angle is with a Sharpie line drawn on a golf ball, set the ball down such that the line is vertical to the face of your iron, hit the ball with your iron, and inspect how the line looks on the club-face. The Sharpie line will imprint on the club-face and will indicate your true impact lie angle.

There are a couple good threads over at GolfWRX forums, and even a lie-angle sticker you can print out and attach to your clubface. Here is also a link to a video:
                    https://www.golfwrx.com/529812/diy-c...cal-line-test/
                    In our latest article we discuss why having the right lie angle on your golf clubs is possibly the most important thing for accuracy with your irons.

Weird I was just reading about this.

I'm a new golfer and haven't developed my swing yet. So I just want to be uncomplicated and at least have my irons flat when in my setup stance with where my arms are comfortable pre swing.

Right now all my irons are resting on the heel end to different degrees with each club. The 5 iron being the most out of whack for me.

Comment

So yeah I'll probably DIY the set. Hold the clubs and both measure and eyeball a better length for each club.

It's mostly the 5 and 6 iron, 7 and 8 maybe a touch off, everything else is cool.

All the irons need new grips.

I will use a hacksaw. Don't worry everyone, I bought a pack of 3 nice hacksaw blades a couple years ago, I'll put a fresh one on.

Just waiting for the golftown grip sale, then I'm off to the PGA tour!

Comment

So I have my grips ordered.

Something that hasn't been talked about in this thread is how COVID will affect any sort of "fitting".

If I can't get "fitted" when I bring my clubs in, I think i'll just ask for my irons to be shortened half an inch.

I don't want to mess with my Ping G400 D, 3, 5 and 4hb unless getting an actual fitting. But the irons I wouldn't care about taking a guess on them, even though half inch might not be quite enough, it should improve my lie I hope.

I'm going into year 3 of golfing, and not on a very regular basis, but for sure I plan to be golfing for the rest of my life.

At the very least, will be nice to have some good Golf Pride grips on my irons instead of these Royal sand grip things, they're really skinny.

But yeah, it's my own physical swing that needs improvement, totally aware of that. If I can learn more about how to improve my swing with clubs that suit me better, I think that's a good thing.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X