Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

HOW FAR WILL GOLF CLUBS BEND / FORGED vs CAST

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

    Ever see Mythbusters? They'd prove/disprove the original idea, but then would take it to ridiculous extremes just to see what would happen IF...
    True enough, but they usually do things that belong to other people.

    My favourite episode was when they blew up the cement truck. Basically vaporized it. Classic.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Benz View Post

      True enough, but they usually do things that belong to other people.

      My favourite episode was when they blew up the cement truck. Basically vaporized it. Classic.
      That blast was unreal
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB


      TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

      Comment


      • #18
        Serge you must be some bored lol.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by nomullies View Post
          Serge you must be some bored lol.
          HA HA, getting there but as this vid is concerned, it was really very helpful to me cause I am considering changing my Swing to a VERY UPRIGHT POSTURE this Season, so I will potentially need 6*-8* upright lie on the irons, and based on his Experiment and some suggestions in this thread, the only option for that is FORGED or SOFT STEEL CAST irons.
          Cheers !
          Last edited by veryold; Jan 8, 2022, 09:41 AM.
          "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

          Comment


          • #20
            FYI, metal has a "memory" of its original lie/loft condition regardless if it was cast or forged.
            Ping has found a way to "shock" their cast irons into a permanent state.

            here is the thread from some years past.

            https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...ng-irons/page2
            things change

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by veryold View Post
              HA HA, getting there but as this vid is concerned, it was really very helpful to me cause I am considering changing my Swing to a VERY UPRIGHT POSTURE this Season, so I will potentially need 6*-8* upright lie on the irons, and based on his Experiment and some suggestions in this thread, the only option for that is FORGED or SOFT STEEL CAST irons.
              Cheers !
              Just to clarify, what is the rationale behind adopting a 'very upright posture'?

              Also, how did you conclude that you should adopt 6-8 degrees upright?

              I ask because prior to last season I had an iron fitting which indicated 2-degrees upright. However, when using the clubs from 5-iron thru PW, everything was curving left. The longer the club, the more it curved. This was attributed to the heel of the club 'digging in' and closing the clubface at impact. The heel was lower than the toe because the lie was too upright. A subsequent fitting indicated that I actually required irons which are 1-degree flat. Although I have not received my new irons yet, I expect that I will see a difference. In any case, a 'gap' of 3 degrees made a significant difference to my flight pattern.

              So, if you are considering 6-8 degrees upright, you have to be prepared for some unexpected club 'dynamics'. Given this, I would be extra certain that the planned lie is what you really need.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Benz View Post

                Just to clarify, what is the rationale behind adopting a 'very upright posture'?

                Also, how did you conclude that you should adopt 6-8 degrees upright?

                I ask because prior to last season I had an iron fitting which indicated 2-degrees upright. However, when using the clubs from 5-iron thru PW, everything was curving left. The longer the club, the more it curved. This was attributed to the heel of the club 'digging in' and closing the clubface at impact. The heel was lower than the toe because the lie was too upright. A subsequent fitting indicated that I actually required irons which are 1-degree flat. Although I have not received my new irons yet, I expect that I will see a difference. In any case, a 'gap' of 3 degrees made a significant difference to my flight pattern.

                So, if you are considering 6-8 degrees upright, you have to be prepared for some unexpected club 'dynamics'. Given this, I would be extra certain that the planned lie is what you really need.
                IMHO:

                1) "Upright Posture" is my coming experiment this Summer to make my swing mostly "ARMS and no BODY ROTATION" and as body friendly and non-hurting as I can, allowing me at my old age to play very frequently. For that, I need either longer shafts and normal lies (makes clubs too heavy to swing) or normal shafts and upright lies.

                2) 6*-8* upright: Just an estimate based on my Demo Ping G2 6 iron with a Maroon Dot (4.5* up) and based on divot shapes and dirt at the toe, it is still a "bit" flat.

                Of course, all this is just my estimates and guesswork, but again, I do not make a living playing golf

                Cheers !
                "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  FYI, metal has a "memory" of its original lie/loft condition regardless if it was cast or forged.
                  Ping has found a way to "shock" their cast irons into a permanent state.

                  here is the thread from some years past.

                  https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...ng-irons/page2
                  Interesting, maybe I could try to "shock/whack" my demo Ping 6 iron with a hammer few times and see what happens, LOL.
                  "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by veryold View Post
                    Of course, all this is just my estimates and guesswork, but again, I do not make a living playing golf
                    If the swing change and the new lies work out, maybe you could!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Benz View Post

                      If the swing change and the new lies work out, maybe you could!

                      But u know what, as delusional (or worse) this will sound, I'm going to score my age before I turn 80 (3 more years)

                      All best and cheers !



                      Last edited by veryold; Jan 9, 2022, 03:34 PM.
                      "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by veryold View Post
                        IMHO:

                        1) "Upright Posture" is my coming experiment this Summer to make my swing mostly "ARMS and no BODY ROTATION" and as body friendly and non-hurting as I can, allowing me at my old age to play very frequently. For that, I need either longer shafts and normal lies (makes clubs too heavy to swing) or normal shafts and upright lies.

                        2) 6*-8* upright: Just an estimate based on my Demo Ping G2 6 iron with a Maroon Dot (4.5* up) and based on divot shapes and dirt at the toe, it is still a "bit" flat.

                        Of course, all this is just my estimates and guesswork, but again, I do not make a living playing golf

                        Cheers !
                        Just a word of caution on this. You will probably a) lose distance because you are not using your "big muscles" (core, hips, leg flex) and instead using your relatively weak arms and shoulders to control everything. As a result, b) don't be surprised to see some nasty hooks and slices become the norm. When you arms take over, you become very flippy with your hands and it makes very, very hard to adopt proper face control. The more you slap at it with the arms and hands, the more pronounced this will become.

                        Check out this video that explains why doing what you want to do is counter intuitive to what you actually want to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOtm...nnel=KirkJunge
                        Taylormade SIM
                        Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
                        Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
                        Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
                        Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
                        Vokey SM8 52/55/59
                        Bettinardi Prototype

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DriveItHome View Post

                          Just a word of caution on this. You will probably a) lose distance because you are not using your "big muscles" (core, hips, leg flex) and instead using your relatively weak arms and shoulders to control everything. As a result, b) don't be surprised to see some nasty hooks and slices become the norm. When you arms take over, you become very flippy with your hands and it makes very, very hard to adopt proper face control. The more you slap at it with the arms and hands, the more pronounced this will become.

                          Check out this video that explains why doing what you want to do is counter intuitive to what you actually want to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOtm...nnel=KirkJunge
                          Thanks for this, appreciated.
                          And while I agree with U on the "positives" of the Body Driven Swing (and I can swing like that PERFECTLY FINE), in my case at least, I feel strained and a bit uncomfortable after 18 holes playing with it (leading hip and knee) and this is where my thoughts to go more Arm based Swinging comes from.
                          Will see in a couple of months how it goes.
                          Thanks again and cheers !
                          "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

                          Comment

                          Collapse

                          Latest TGN Reviews


                          Collapse

                          PGA Leaderboard


                          Collapse

                          Today's Birthdays


                          Working...
                          X