Collapse

HOW FAR WILL GOLF CLUBS BEND / FORGED vs CAST

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW FAR WILL GOLF CLUBS BEND / FORGED vs CAST

Interesting experiment: the guy bent forged and cast irons till breakage, to see how far the'll go.
    My note: he bent them flat - wonder if bending them upright will yield diff results ???

Last edited by veryold; Jan 4, 2022, 02:35 PM.
    "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

What was the point of doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      Winter boredom

Comment

In my experience, you can bend much flatter than you can upright. When I was learning how to do it a friend gave me an old Callaway X Forged iron (the original one that kind of looks like an X20 tour) and said have at it. He wanted to show me how much pressure it took to bend it. I think I got it 15* flat and then about 10* upright before I realized how much I had actually bent it. You could see the shaft bending out the hosel but it didn't break surprisingly. Conversely, I've broken some cast irons trying to move them only 1 degree, other case I have moved 3-4* no issue, and broken forged clubs before (hosels crimped with spider cracks) on only a couple of degrees as well. There really is no rhyme or reason to why something is going to go, it just does.
        Taylormade SIM
        Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
        Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
        Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
        Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
        Vokey SM8 52/55/59
        Bettinardi Prototype

Comment

Didnt watch but I have bent soft stainless heads that are cast as far as 7/8/9*

I have also seen forged heads crack at 2*

it really, just depends IMO
          Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 4, 2022, 05:57 PM.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by DriveItHome View Post
            In my experience, you can bend much flatter than you can upright. When I was learning how to do it a friend gave me an old Callaway X Forged iron (the original one that kind of looks like an X20 tour) and said have at it. He wanted to show me how much pressure it took to bend it. I think I got it 15* flat and then about 10* upright before I realized how much I had actually bent it. You could see the shaft bending out the hosel but it didn't break surprisingly. Conversely, I've broken some cast irons trying to move them only 1 degree, other case I have moved 3-4* no issue, and broken forged clubs before (hosels crimped with spider cracks) on only a couple of degrees as well. There really is no rhyme or reason to why something is going to go, it just does.
            Thanks so much for this, really appreciated
            I was interested in "upright bend" because as i advance in age, i find myself needing more and more upright irons - even more than Ping's Maroon Dot (5* up, IIANM). Wonder if the Chrome starts cracking when going past, say 5* on Forged Clubs ?

And also thanks to @Weirfan !

Last edited by veryold; Jan 4, 2022, 07:30 PM.
            "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

Comment

Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                Didnt watch but I have bent soft stainless heads that are cast as far as 7/8/9*
                ???
                Why would anyone want to bend an iron 7-9*?....doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                  ???
                  Why would anyone want to bend an iron 7-9*?....doesn't make much sense to me.
                  Just playing around and to see how far it would go
                  this was after a former poster/member here said he bent this particular soft cast head 9*....i had to see for myself

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Just playing around and to see how far it would go
                    this was after a former poster/member here said he bent this particular soft cast head 9*....i had to see for myself
                    Sorry to bug, but have you ever tried to bend Accuform Irons ? AFAIK, they were made of some sort of "softer steel" ?
                    And how much upright they may go before cracking ???
                    All best and thanks

And BTW, Dechambeau's irons are around 10* upright

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                      Sorry to bug, but have you ever tried to bend Accuform Irons ? AFAIK, they were made of some sort of "softer steel" ?
                      All best and thanks

Used to be. His irons arent that upright anymore.

And his are manufactured that way custom for him. They are not bent 10* upright.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                        All best and thanks

Accuforms were made from 303 Stainless, far softer than many 1020 carbon steel heads.
                        TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*,Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
                        TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
                        TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
                        TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
                        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, Garson non-taper grip

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Accuforms were made from 303 Stainless, far softer than many 1020 carbon steel heads.
                          Yea ! As were the heads we bent as much as 9* so quite possible they can be bent similarly

Comment

@rgk5 and @Weirfan
                            Thanks, much appreciated

Comment

Ever see Mythbusters? They'd prove/disprove the original idea, but then would take it to ridiculous extremes just to see what would happen IF...
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X