Collapse

Fitting up charge

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting up charge

A little curious to see what everyone’s thoughts are on fitting up charges… especially for shafts.

I have been to modern a handful of times, and love their fitting process, purchased a driver and wedges from them in the past, the other day I was quoted $500 plus tax for a Ventus Black 7X for a stealth… if I order the same club through TM it’s a $300 up charge. What is being offered through the fitter that makes the shaft $200 more? I know in the past fitters would go to something like a TX or a shaft not offered by the OeM, but this was a apples to apples.

ModernGolf direct from the horses mouth might be best so the rest aren't speculating what the difference is.
    Taylormade SIM
    Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
    Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
    Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
    Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
    Vokey SM8 52/55/59
    Bettinardi Prototype

Comment

One difference could be that custom fitting centres without a component agreement from the manufacturers would order that driver for you directly from Taylormade and it would arrive at their shop fully assembled with a stock shaft. Then, the fitting centre would have their build shop remove that stock shaft and re-build the new club with the upgraded Ventus shaft.

Whereas, if you were to order that club directly from TM with the upcharged Ventus shaft, they would ship it to you fully assembled. Same concept applies to the grips (but that is a lot less expensive).

I have heard that some of the custom fitters/builders will give you the stock shaft that you can keep as a spare or sell on the secondary market, which might help recoup some of that price difference. If you go the custom builder route, make sure to ask them for this.

Comment

Were you quoted 500$ just to order the shaft if you were to order on its ow ? Or 500$ upcharge on the stealth.

Shafts usually are more to buy solo then they are as an upcharge.

450$ shaft brand new. Plus an adaptor and labour. 500$ seems fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
          Were you quoted 500$ just to order the shaft if you were to order on its ow ? Or 500$ upcharge on the stealth.

This is important to know,

of course there could be a good reason for a price difference with a company that purchases 10's of thousands of shafts from a vendor and one that purchases a small fraction of that.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Aces1979 View Post
            A little curious to see what everyone’s thoughts are on fitting up charges… especially for shafts.

I have been to modern a handful of times, and love their fitting process, purchased a driver and wedges from them in the past, the other day I was quoted $500 plus tax for a Ventus Black 7X for a stealth… if I order the same club through TM it’s a $300 up charge. What is being offered through the fitter that makes the shaft $200 more? I know in the past fitters would go to something like a TX or a shaft not offered by the OeM, but this was a apples to apples.
            Aces1979 Great question! You are correct, upcharge through TM is $300. Lots of other examples out there now where shafts are now cheaper through the manufacturer. Autoflex is a prime example, its cheaper through Callaway and Titleist.

The price you were quoted likely meant MG building the driver and that means us having to charge MAP pricing on the shaft. The sole reason in this instance why you were quoted custom was Stealth + Ventus Black was showing back ordered until July if ordered through TaylorMade, which is totally unreasonable. It looks like TaylorMade has made changes to this delivery date now with some updated information as the driver gets closer to launch. Send us a DM here and we'll get whatever you need taken care of. You'll qualify for a full refund on fitting fee as well as we waive fit fee with purchase over $800.

For many years fitting shops have had to charge fit fees and live off of extended margin on shafts, we don't believe in that. Only when it saves significant time and the customer prefers the MG build service and potential faster delivery. This is part of a major change that we haver made as a company. We are even set to launch a new store concept called "MG studio" that specifically focuses on OEM and upcharge through OEM only shafts.
            Last edited by ModernGolf; Jan 22, 2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

Aces1979 Great question! You are correct, TM upcharge is $300. Lots of other examples out there now where shafts are now cheaper through the manufacturer. Autoflex is a prime example, its cheaper through Callaway and Titleist.

The price you were quoted likely meant MG building the driver and that means us having to charge MAP pricing on the shaft. The sole reason in this instance why you were quoted custom was Stealth + Ventus Black was showing back ordered until July if ordered through TaylorMade, which is totally unreasonable. It looks like TaylorMade has made changes to this delivery date now with some updated information as the driver gets closer to launch. Send us a DM here and we'll get whatever you need taken care of. You'll qualify for a full refund on fitting fee as well as we waive fit fee with purchase over $800.

For many years fitting shops have had to charge fit fees and live off of extended margin on shafts, we don't believe in that. Only when it saves significant time and the customer prefers the MG build service and potential faster delivery. This is part of a major change that we haver made as a company. We are even set to launch a new store concept called "MG studio" that specifically focuses on OEM and OEM uncharge only shafts.
              uncharge or upcharge thru oem?

Comment

uncharge or upcharge thru oem?
                upcharge through OEM, good catch, I will clarify above. Mobile is hard to type with autocorrect as well!

Comment

Great idea for a concept store

Comment

Great idea for a concept store
                    Jasonp Thanks!
                    We truly believe in value and this provides us an incredible opportunity to provide that. The studio matrix looks awesome to, price points are great and the amount of variety we can offer is huge. Two of our VP's come from this world of fitting. Stew Bannatyne who formerly ran PXG Canada and TaylorMade's TPL and Craig Dale who had the most spectacular fitting experience I've ever seen at Country Hills in Calgary. The lightbulb went off that trends were going this way and in early 2020 we start moving in this direction without really marketing it, just in our philosophy. Myself personally, I played a 55X Alta in a PING G400 for 3 years and its still the best shaft I've ever played!

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

Jasonp Thanks!
                      We truly believe in value and this provides us an incredible opportunity to provide that. The studio matrix looks awesome to, price points are great and the amount of variety we can offer is huge. Two of our VP's come from this world of fitting. Stew Bannatyne who formerly ran PXG Canada and TaylorMade's TPL and Craig Dale who had the most spectacular fitting experience I've ever seen at Country Hills in Calgary. The lightbulb went off that trends were going this way and in early 2020 we start moving in this direction without really marketing it, just in our philosophy. Myself personally, I played a 55X Alta in a PING G400 for 3 years and its still the best shaft I've ever played!
                      I think with your current matrix of shafts you likely have most OEMs fitting options on hand. Pick up a few more and boom. Not sure a concept store needed though? Why not just offer this at all stores. Plus if a customer wants to try exotic they can to compare.

I know ny last fitting with you guys i did ask my fitter to avoid exotic. I didnt mind upcharge shafts but couldnt afford or justify full aftermarket exotic. Was a great fit. If you can keep offering this but up options i think youll do very well.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X