/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Are DeChambeau's SL Irons Hurting his SHORT GAME ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are DeChambeau's SL Irons Hurting his SHORT GAME ???

Most SL Iron Reviews point out that "Scoring Clubs" are one of the problems with SL Irons, as the longer shafts on those clubs result in loss of ACCURACY and REPEATABILITY, which is, afterall their main purpose.

And Bryson seems to suffering from the same problem. Not that he is not within birdie puts, but he misses entire greens with those, so called Scoring Clubs.

What do you think ?

Maybe the 100+ years of accumulated knowledge/wisdom to support "Conventional Irons" is very valid up to this day, as IIANM, nobody else on tour is using SL Irons, nor any other Major Brands are offering them as an alternative.

All best and cheers

... and, FWIW, I was cosidering SL few years back, but am out of the market for them ATT, unless I stumble on an "offer I cannot refuse"

Last edited by veryold; Jul 31, 2022, 08:56 AM.
    "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

My friend, who would be a 40+ handicap, came to play with me at Wyndance and we were paired with Jason Helman, who coaches Tour pros. He was giving Jason swing advice.

Comment

Seems silly to ditch something that brought you the ncaa d1 title, the US amateur championship, 10 professional victories including a US open. Should he also ditch his single plane swing?

Comment

I dont know his practice regimen but based on what we see media he seems to be focused on swing speed. Ie) long game.

Perhaps he just need to practice his short game more and get a short game coach if he doesn’t have one already?

Comment

Has any golfer who has accomplished what Bryson has ever been successful with a monumental equipment or swing change ? Methinks not. Tiger's swing changes via his various coaches were not on the level on what VO is suggesting.

Dance With The One Who Brung Ya ( all that successs ) -> Single Length and Single Plane. BDC's entire marketing persona is based on his geek'ness of being different in both equipment, swing, on-course calculations, and more recently his very public chase for distance.
          WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS -> 12 Clubs
          Titleist TSi2 10* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
          Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
          Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
          Cleveland RTX4 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
          Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
          Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

@ping1-a
            All fair and valid points
            But:
            1) If something worked and then it doesn't maybe it's time to "rethink" the approach ???
            2) Re. his "Single Plane Swing": I might be totally wrong here, but aren't ALL SWINGS including the CONVENTIONAL ones SINGLE PLANE AT IMPACT and Bryson's (Moe Norman as well) Single Plane Swing is JUST A MODIFIED and a bit awqward looking ADDRESS POSITION, so probably no need to thinker with that one ?

@sunshiNee
            Yes, you have a very good point here. Actually just watched Kyle Berkshire playing 18 holes of "regular golf" somewhere and his short game was bad and his comment was that after a recent Long Drive Competition he is "still in that LD mode" and that's why his short game is so bad !!! SO maybe, all that effort by Bryson to compete in those LD events and his "obsession" with Distance is actually hurting his short/approach game ???
            "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
              Has any golfer who has accomplished what Bryson has ever been successful with a monumental equipment or swing change ? Methinks not. Tiger's swing changes via his various coaches were not on the level on what VO is suggesting.

Dance With The One Who Brung Ya ( all that successs ) -> Single Length and Single Plane. BDC's entire marketing persona is based on his geek'ness of being different in both equipment, swing, on-course calculations, and more recently his very public chase for distance.
              All valid and excellent points !

But as i mentioned in my post (just above), maybe that between the SL totally failing to gain any momentum in pro golf and with almost universally negative reviews on it, plus combined with his LD efforts are ALL having negative impact on his "short game" ???

Maybe your approach Andy, which is, IIANM, just a bit longer SL shafts (but not as long as 7i SL) on Approach Clubs, a bit shorter shafts on Long Irons with a "compressed" length increments, different Weighting etc. could/SHOULD be beneficial to him ??? Maybe a quick private jet trip to K/W for a little fitting and a custom set build with you, Andy, may be all he needs to turn his game around

Cheers
              Last edited by veryold; Jul 31, 2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to see if Bryson’ went a bit shorter length in his short irons and wedges. Also, short game is about feel and touch and creativity. Perhaps his SL/SP setup over the ball is inhibiting his touch, feel, creativity on such shots.
                WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS -> 12 Clubs
                Titleist TSi2 10* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
                Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
                Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
                Cleveland RTX4 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
                Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
                Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

I listened to a podcast with his college coach.

They tried getting him to go to shorter wedges. He did for a little bit, and he got decent results, but he was determined to make it work with the single length clubs, and he did.

I personally see it as a disadvantage, but I'm not going to tell one of the best in the world how to play the game.

Comment

I have been playing SL Cobras for about the last 5 years. I love them. The concept made total sense to me and had nothing to do with what a pro was doing. Otherwise I would be playing forged blades! LOL

The wedges were the most difficult adjustment to make. From 7 up was an almost instantaneous adjustment. Add to that I carry standard SW, GW and 60 degree in "normal lengths". Addressing the ball with a GW at mid stance is a strange feeling. I am just starting to get used to it. I miss greens but I am just a crappy hacker. Pretty sure Bryson is having a rough spot like most "humans" do. I wont be watching him to find out, just sharing experiences here

Comment

Pretty sure its the fact hes not at 100% and has a wrist/hand injury as hes said on his channel. Not his SL wedges. People also dont realize that pro golfers practice a lot. If youre injured and or practicing something else (like LD) something else might give.

Comment

There are pros and cons to choosing length on all the clubs.

>Using SL longer irons might really help almost everyone as they're shorter/easier to hit. Easier to hit means more confidence and that always helps. But ppl have to get used to lower flight and as a result ppl have to recalibrate "carry" and "run" distances.

>Using SL wedges have pros and cons too. Because the clubs are longer, they can be harder to hit but the advantage of longer wedges means more clubhead speed, higher flight, more carry, less run. For good players that can be a good thing as they don't have to create spin coming into greens when they have less green to work with.

For Bryson, the SL wedges are more PRO than CON. Because he has a power game he's going to miss more fairways in general and if you witnessed him at 2020 US Open, the longer wedges were needed as he had to hack out of the heavy heavy rough.

It's a game of averages for Bryson...he calculates that the extra 20-30-40 yd on drives, extra 10-20 yards on each iron means more eagles/birdies vs bogeys when he misses fairways.

If you watch the evolution of basketball, you'll notice that the 3point game [the long game] is more and more important. At the beginning, 3 point shooting was bad, but over time, it got better and better and now every team must shoot 3's well to win. Teams have come to realize that lower shooting percentages with bonus extra point when you make it is better than higher shooting percentages with one less point. [Bryson is in some respects doing similar calculations]

https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/history...and%20utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post
                          There are pros and cons to choosing length on all the clubs.

>Using SL longer irons might really help almost everyone as they're shorter/easier to hit. Easier to hit means more confidence and that always helps. But ppl have to get used to lower flight and as a result ppl have to recalibrate "carry" and "run" distances.

>Using SL wedges have pros and cons too. Because the clubs are longer, they can be harder to hit but the advantage of longer wedges means more clubhead speed, higher flight, more carry, less run. For good players that can be a good thing as they don't have to create spin coming into greens when they have less green to work with.

For Bryson, the SL wedges are more PRO than CON. Because he has a power game he's going to miss more fairways in general and if you witnessed him at 2020 US Open, the longer wedges were needed as he had to hack out of the heavy heavy rough.

It's a game of averages for Bryson...he calculates that the extra 20-30-40 yd on drives, extra 10-20 yards on each iron means more eagles/birdies vs bogeys when he misses fairways.

If you watch the evolution of basketball, you'll notice that the 3point game [the long game] is more and more important. At the beginning, 3 point shooting was bad, but over time, it got better and better and now every team must shoot 3's well to win. Teams have come to realize that lower shooting percentages with bonus extra point when you make it is better than higher shooting percentages with one less point. [Bryson is in some respects doing similar calculations]

https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/history...and%20utilized.
                          I don't think this comparison is complete. Basketball teams now pursue 3's or paint buckets. It's not just 3's.

To me, short wedge shots are almost equivalent to paint buckets. You want to shoot an extremely high percentage on them, which Bryson is not doing.

(p.s. putting is probably equivalent to free throws, to complete the analogy).

Comment

The Bryson v Luke Kwon challenge shows you one reason by Bryson plays Power and SL wedges.

13.30 min mark. He says "you're going to hate me". 47degree wedge,171 yards out, tree 15 yards in front of him => he hits it over the tree!
                            "watch, watch, I'll get even closer..."

SL wedge means he can get a lot more clubhead speed and that enables him to get ball really fast. If he had standard length wedge he can't hit that shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFmnvKXPVo

PROS vs CONS.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X