Wilson CI7 Irons heads - question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson CI7 Irons heads - question

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether the CI7 iron heads use taper shaft or parallel tip shafts? The Wilson spec page says they are .370 tip diameter and the UST shafts (proforce V2 Regular flex 74 grams) are custom to Wilson so I cannot determine from UST.

Or do graphite shaft only come in either form (taper OR parallel).

Also, as a related question the shaft torque is shown as 3.4 - this is much higher than that of an typical steel shaft - what are the real-world performance implications of such a large torque difference. as point of reference, I typically hit 5i 185-ish and 7 Iron is about 155-ish. I like the softer "feel" of the graphite shafts but am considering moving back to steel if the use of graphite is counter-productive in terms of dispersion etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Chris

Titleist Bags
    Ping G15 Driver 10.5
    Ping G25 3 Wood 15
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20
    Ping G25 Hybrid 23
    Ping I25 4-PW Steel
    Titleist SM4 50/54/58 Degree
    Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
    Ping Anser (Original)
    Bushnell Z6

Re: Wilson CI7 Irons heads - question

Originally posted by tasker
    Hi All,

Does anyone know whether the CI7 iron heads use taper shaft or parallel tip shafts? The Wilson spec page says they are .370 tip diameter and the UST shafts (proforce V2 Regular flex 74 grams) are custom to Wilson so I cannot determine from UST.

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_376 - You can find all sorts of info in the GW OEM shaft replacement guide. Not 100% sure, but I'd guess they are 0.37, since their 2006 Di7 distance irons show they use UST Proforce V2 77 gm shafts.

Or do graphite shaft only come in either form (taper OR parallel). I would say they vary and depend on the manufacturer, but I would guess that most OEM built taper tip heads for ease of fast club construction.

Also, as a related question the shaft torque is shown as 3.4 - this is much higher than that of an typical steel shaft - what are the real-world performance implications of such a large torque difference. as point of reference, I typically hit 5i 185-ish and 7 Iron is about 155-ish. I like the softer "feel" of the graphite shafts but am considering moving back to steel if the use of graphite is counter-productive in terms of dispersion etc. I think the quality of graphite manufacturing has advanced enough today that you can get similar performing shafts, in either graphite or steel. Graphite also comes in weights much higher than lightweight steel. Also, you can find lower torque numbers on graphite as well.

For instance, take a look the Tour Trac series at skfiber.com. They are a well produced, consistent shaft manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Chris
    Good luck with your search...

Comment

Thanks Torairder,

I had seen that golfworks OEM guide before - it lists neither the CI7 or the predecessor CI6 and for those using the same (or looks to be the same) graphite shaft (UST Proforce V2), the taper vs. parallel question is not answered. Thanks for the reply - the search for information continues.

I guess I could just remove one of my shafts, but since this is a new thing for me, I am not that keen on doing this just yet.

Regards, Chris

Titleist Bags
      Ping G15 Driver 10.5
      Ping G25 3 Wood 15
      Ping G25 Hybrid 20
      Ping G25 Hybrid 23
      Ping I25 4-PW Steel
      Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
      Ping Anser (Original)
      Bushnell Z6

Comment

Originally posted by tasker
        Thanks Torairder,

I had seen that golfworks OEM guide before - it lists neither the CI7 or the predecessor CI6 and for those using the same (or looks to be the same) graphite shaft (UST Proforce V2), the taper vs. parallel question is not answered. Thanks for the reply - the search for information continues.

I guess I could just remove one of my shafts, but since this is a new thing for me, I am not that keen on doing this just yet.

Regards, Chris
        Have you asked Wilson? http://wilson-sports.custhelp.com/cg...p_sid=h7PkFSlj

Comment

Originally posted by TORAIDER
          Thanks Toraider - did just that in the first place but they are not very good at replying to emails apparently :-(

Beeker has given me the local Belleville phone number so I will call instead.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards, Chris

Titleist Bags
          Ping G15 Driver 10.5
          Ping G25 3 Wood 15
          Ping G25 Hybrid 20
          Ping G25 Hybrid 23
          Ping I25 4-PW Steel
          Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
          Ping Anser (Original)
          Bushnell Z6