shortening putter shaft?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shortening putter shaft?

Andrew and Harry,

I'm not sure what side of the fence I fall on, but in the past I have added a heavier shaft, tungsten powder under the grip and 3 layers (6 strips) of lead tape to the sole of my TM Daytona ASGI. I never measured the swingweight, but the heftier feel is what made the putter work for me. Since my wrists don't break when putting, having a heavier head isn't as important to me. Having said that, I'm now putting well with an unmodified Odyssey Black #9. At 34" and headweight of 350g, it's enough heft to not have to add weight. I've thought about adding some weight under the grip to stabilize my hands, but I don't want to wreck the goodness that's happening right now. Hmmm....now I'm thinking about adding some powder under the grip of my 34" White Hot #9 and having myself an old fashioned putt-off.

Putting is such a personal thing. A buddy of mine is lights out with his Scotty Cameron. I tried it and it felt light as a feather and I couldn't get anything closer to the hole with it. To each his own I guess.

To the OP's question. Cut it to get your hands in the right position for your stroke. As mentioned in other posts that's more important than anything else. Have the lie checked afterwards.
    Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
    Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
    Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
    5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
    Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
    X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
    Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Powder under the grip...or down the shaft? Most of the weight you added to the TM was away from your grip..increasing the SW.
      "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Samick View Post
        Powder under the grip...or down the shaft? Most of the weight you added to the TM was away from your grip..increasing the SW.
        I'm thinking of loading up the TriHot a bit to see what it's like.

Wish I knew the head weight of it but I don't want to pull the shaft.
        Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
        Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
        Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
        Ping G400 4H - 22*
        Ping G400 5 - UW
        Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
        Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
        Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
        Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Thinking back, it wasn't powder but a long bolt with 5 or 6 nuts screwed on and weighed 90 grams. I also added lead tape to the sole which offset the weight under the grip. I suppose it would be the difference between 90 grams under the grip and whatever the six strips of lead tape weighed. It was a pretty inexact science!!
          Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
          Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
          Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
          5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
          Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
          X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
          Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
            I'm thinking of loading up the TriHot a bit to see what it's like.

Wish I knew the head weight of it but I don't want to pull the shaft.
            Stick a bunch of lead tape on the sole so you can easily remove it. The reason for the tungsten powder was to not have lead tape plastered to the head.

Comment

Stick a bunch of lead tape on the sole so you can easily remove it. The reason for the tungsten powder was to not have lead tape plastered to the head.
              Might have to go that route, the grip I'm going with is standard weight so it should feel the same as it does now.

I know there is a device where you can expand the vent hole and add weight and a cork without taking off the grip.
              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
              Ping G400 4H - 22*
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree, because I cannot see me being comfortable and getting the same feel, or good feel for that matter, out of a club that has increase static weight only by adding weight under the grip vs adding weight to the head. Really, by adding the weight under the grip you are decreasing the swing weight of a club and making the head feel lighter.

Yes, when you cut a shaft down the balance point changed farther down the shaft which makes the putter feel lighter. If I liked the weight (swingweight) of the putter while making a stroke @ 35", but didn't like the length, what are the options? Cut it down, and add weight to the head to make it feel the same. Basically, I'm using swingweight as a reference point of a weight that I like to feel while putting...if/when I get another putter and need to cut it down, or even if I dont, I know I can put it on the swingweight machine and get that same feel in the head that I'm accustomed to.

My short but sweet response ( ), was meant that even though you think that 'swingweight don't mean squat', it matters to somebody out there. If you or anybody else in the world have seen a putter used by anyone (club pro, weekend warrior, touring pro, etc...) that has had lead tape added to the head, the swingweight matters, which equates to a swingweight they feel is just right in their hands.

I do find something odd/intrigueing in your response though. You said that balancepoint, and the ratio of headweight vs total weight is more important. But in essence, isn't that what swingweight is? It's the measurement of headweight vs total weight at a specific balance point. I guess the difference in our methods is that if I add the weight at the head, I'm driving the balance point down towards the head, whereas you by adding weight to the grip are driving the balance point closer to the hands...which to me would deaden feel.

Anyway, just my own personal take on things. Different strokes for different folks. My only intent with my quick comment is that its not so definative that swingweight doesn't matter.
                As laxgolf stated "Putting is such a personal thing". When I said SWt. doesn't matter I am talking in generalities for the masses. Like yourself who has a well defined sense of feel you will always find the golfer who can tell the difference, and those who think they can, and the majority who cannot.

In some respects we are talking sematics (sp). The swingweight scale was never invented to fit putters but rather first and foremost to dial in a set of irons.

As a young Jr. 'fb' played with a stainless Harvey Penick Riverside (Newport style). With a 325 gram head he added 20 grams of lead tape to the back insert cavity. Sure Swt. was increased and so was the helf / ratio of head wt. : total weight. It was years later when he went to a YES Callie with its 355 gram head did he stop using lead tape.

So you have a Swt. spec for a given length you like in a putter. This is great since you have a standard. If you decide to get a new putter down the road and it is built using a different raw shaft weight, then the standard of Swt. you seek out will not be the same from old to new.

Rather than saying I like a particular Swt. in a putter for a given length, I like to say here are my putter parameters I seek regardless of which putter head I want to use. Things like, length, head weight, loft, shaft weight, club length, grip size, grip weight, BCG #, head material, insert yes/no, insert material, total weight, etc. As you will notice I did not define my putter in terms of either Swt. or Wt. Ratio. It is a function of the 12 input variables. Now for an iron set Swt. or MOI would be an input variable.

I might be getting a 10 year old SC Newport TeI3 from a guy at work on Monday ... he is bringing it back from his home in Florida. Shucks, with its ~ 330 gram head the Swt. is going to be lower than I like
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                  I might be getting a 10 year old SC Newport TeI3 from a guy at work on Monday ... he is bringing it back from his home in Florida. Shucks, with its ~ 330 gram head the Swt. is going to be lower than I like
                  It shouldnt matter to you though as like you said, the masses can't even tell the difference....I might be able to find you a sponsor on the site to fix up that putter for you though.

Comment

It shouldnt matter to you though as like you said, the masses can't even tell the difference....I might be able to find you a sponsor on the site to fix up that putter for you though.
                    If I get the TeI3 tomorrow who do you recommend and how should it be tricked out?
                    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

If I get the TeI3 tomorrow who do you recommend and how should it be tricked out?
                      Maybe Jeff at GT east, just make sure he gets the swingweight right fpr you.

Precision Golf in Oakville are excellent also.
                      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                      Ping G400 4H - 22*
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Check this video... its about putter length (fitting) by Ralph Maltby...

The GolfWorks is the leader in golf club components and accessories. Grips, Shafts, Heads, Custom Clubs, Clubmaking Tools and Supplies, Golf Balls and more!
                        To golf, or not to golf? What a stupid question!

Comment

Swaain would be a great source. Joe down in Oakville is a great guy that can do anything you want, and is closer than Swaain.

First off is the condition...may need to be sent back for a refinish. Then, cut it down to 33.5" and have the grip below installed. Adjust loft and lie, and load the thing to bring it to D5 swingweight....and lastly, send it east to my attention.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X