No announcement yet.
Collapse

Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I play about 75 rounds per year, warming up before each and practicing. My grips (Lamkin cross-line) last approximately 5 years. I do clean them a couple times a year, using a bit of Tide powdered detergent (contains a bit of bleach, which softens rubber) and a scrub brush, rinse well and dry. I've tried the Simonize tire cleaner - it works but I don't find it any better than the Tide, water and brush.

Comment

• I like to play gloveless as much as possible and I love using good ol' WINDEX. Makes my Tour Velvet and similar type Lamkin grips very tacky. Just a spray or two and a wipe with the towel on my bag and I'm good for the day. I usually do this once a month but always do it before playing a $ or competitive round. Once I found this method I stopped looking for others as for me it is ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
        TRUST ME this is the SECRET. No finer cleaner on the planet, and your grips will last 2-3X's or even 3-5X's longer when used regularly (monthly, weekly):

USA based product: Westley's Bleche-Wite, The Original Tire Cleaner, 32 oz spray bottle UPC: 77249 00555 - it costs ~ $5 a bottle.

Canada based product: Simoniz® Tire Cleaner with Bleche-Wite, 946 ml spray bottle, Canadian Tire product #39-0716-8, - it costs $10 a bottle.

I'm working from a couple of Westley's bottles I got from NAPA out of Michigan. One 32 oz bottle will last most golfers a lifetime. I have not used the Simoniz® product, but understand it might be rebranded from the Westley's forumulation, as they both contain the secret formula Bleche-Wite.

TOOLS and CONSUMABLES:
        1. Wooden tee
        2. Bleche-Wite tire cleaner
        3. Nylon scrub brush
        4. Kitchen sink
        5. Dry cotton towel
        6. Beer
        7. Understanding wife

INSRUCTIONS:
        1. PUT tee in grip end of club, so water does not go down shaft.
        2. DIP nylon scrub brush once in water to get it wet.
        3. TURN water on faucet (i.e., luke warm + slow trickle).
        4. SOAK grip under faucet (i.e., kitchen sink works great).
        5. SQUIRT 10 to 12 drops of Bleche-Wite down full length of grip.
        6. Using nylon brush, SCRUB complete grip several times/turns.
        NOTE: You are removing oils and dirt, reactiviting rubber.
        7. RINSE grip under faucet to remove Bleche-Wite residue.
        8. IF grip real dirty
        AND you did not notice suds,
        THEN REPEAT steps 4 to 7 until grip rubber totally clean.
        9. Using your fingers, REPEL water off grip and REMOVE wooden tee.
        10. Using cotton towel, DRY grip to remove water beads.
        11. POSITION club upright to air dry.
        12. GRAB a beer and marvel at your handiwork.
        13. TRANSPORT golf club to golf bag.
        14. CLEAN-UP small mess you made in kitchen.
        15. TAKE wife out to dinner to offset money saved.
        16. REPORT back to thread regarding 'how good' this tip is

This procedure is written to follow Nuclear PPA protocol
        Repost for Lionel
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

• Thanks my friend!
          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

• Whenever I read "Bleche-Wite" my dyslexic brains transposes it to "Belch-Wite" which might have something to do with the TourIQ's #6 requirement of Beer !

Indeed the Simoniz product works great !
            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
            Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

• Use this regularly, works so well. Have grips that are approaching 10 years in age that look and feel like new.

I Can't even recall the last time I bought a new grips to replace another, just when building new clubs.....use this to clean up all the clubs I work on as well. Big money saver
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                Use this regularly, works so well. Have grips that are approaching 10 years in age that look and feel like new.

I Can't even recall the last time I bought a new grips to replace another, just when building new clubs.....use this to clean up all the clubs I work on as well. Big money saver
                Peter I use regularly , and my grips are lasting 10 years too. They come back tacky every time.

Bleche-Wite doesn't seem to like WINN grips, but I rarely install WINN grips. Never been a WINN fan.
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

• Appears the Simoniz product is discontinued... Ran out of my bottle and went searching...
                  Anything else with bleche-white available in Canada ?
                  It's not about what you know, but everything about what you understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by krikan View Post
                    Appears the Simoniz product is discontinued... Ran out of my bottle and went searching...
                    Napa Canada has the Black Magic version. Search Black Magic or Bleche-wite and you'll be able to find it.

Comment

• Thanks.. Found it here
                      It's not about what you know, but everything about what you understand.

Comment

• Use Lysol wipes - grips become tacky afterwards
                        Winner winner, chicken dinner
                        TM P790s 4-9
                        Vokey SM8 50, 54, 60
                        Scotty Cameron Newport

Comment

• Originally posted by krikan View Post
                          Appears the Simoniz product is discontinued... Ran out of my bottle and went searching...
                          Walmart also caries Black Magic with bleche wite.

It works but the Simoniz was better

Comment

• revitalizing a 1 year old thread. Basically any tire cleaner works since essentially removing dirt and grime from rubber ?

Comment

• Originally posted by wongmb View Post
                              revitalizing a 1 year old thread. Basically any tire cleaner works since essentially removing dirt and grime from rubber ?
                              I am sure regular tire cleaner will work. Harry recommends finding a brand with the "Bleche-white" , that is all I have used and it works incredibly well. Walmart and Amazon carry the Black Magic brand which has it.

Make sure to really rinse the grips thoroughly with warm water after as tire cleaner isnt good for your skin.

let us know how things turn out .

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I am sure regular tire cleaner will work. Harry recommends finding a brand with the "Bleche-white" , that is all I have used and it works incredibly well. Walmart and Amazon carry the Black Magic brand which has it.

Make sure to really rinse the grips thoroughly with warm water after as tire cleaner isnt good for your skin.

let us know how things turn out .
                                Hey! You’re back.
                                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X