Collapse

Wyldewood Golf & Country review?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyldewood Golf & Country review?

Anybody ever play this course? I see it on GTA but have never heard of it...I guess that might tell me all I need to know, but I would like to know what sort of course it is and what it would compare to?
    Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Re: Wyldewood Golf & Country review?

Never played there being that it's private, but I've seen it often being that it is literally next to Royal Ontario. The couple holes I've seen from Royal look quite nice though, and at the very least, the topography is similar to Royal.
    WITB
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha / Fubuki zt Tour / S / 9
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro FW / Aldila Tour Green / S / 13.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid / Aldila Tour Green / S / 18
    Callaway Apex Pro 4 - PW / UST Recoil 110 / F4
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedges / DG S300 / 52, 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura X

Comment

Interesting that it is private but on GTA... Got to check this place out...anybody out there actually play there?
      Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Played there once.. nice course. Fun greens. I think it got hit pretty hard with ice storm though?
        TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
        TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
        TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
        Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
        Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
        100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
          Interesting that it is private but on GTA... Got to check this place out...anybody out there actually play there?
          I played on Wyldewood a couple of times last year through the GTA golf club and quite enjoyed it. Once as a single. Very walkable, with some variation in terrain. The creek valley that runs through it is a feature to my eyes. Gonditions were good at the time (summer). Can't speak to how it wintered but would be interested to know.

There was a thread a while back discussing some pros and cons of private courses in the area including Wyldewood that may be of assistance although I personally didn't experience the same concerns. Do be aware that the tee time availability is somewhat restrictive compared to other GTAGC offerings but one can work around that.

Don't take my word for it however (nor just that of naysayers) - experience it yourself and form your own opinion on the course. Consider it an opportunity to experience a private course at one level.

I have seen signs indicating public play is now available at the course, perhaps a sign of the times.

(Another private course available to the GTA and affiliated clubs is Craigowan out Woodstock way - a fair drive for some but worth it if you don't mind that to experience a rather nice track without being (or knowing) a member. Believe it is listed on the London club.)

Let us know what you think.

_______
          NQRfPT

Comment

Wyldewood will book public tee times. They were advertising this last week.

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
              They have been taking public times for at least a few years that I know of. I have not played it, but have seen a few holes from Royal Ontario as others have mentioned. Friends of mine played it and said that members and staff were welcoming as long as you followed the dress code and demonstrated good etiquette.

Comment

I have a lot of experience with Wyldewood and I wouldn't recommend it. The course is very average, the management there is extremely poor, and the food and beverage department is pathetic.

The only saving grace for the club is it's membership. The members there were always fantastic to play and socialize with. Also, there are only between 200 and 250 members there so the course is almost always empty which makes pace of play pretty awesome.

I, fortunately, never had to pay to play there but wouldn't ever spend my money on that course. Much more worthwhile to pay a little bit extra and play Piper's Heath 30 seconds down the road.

Comment

I was talking with a Wyldewood member the other day and he was not terribly happy about them having public play (new Managements decision, he said). He was even more disgruntled at the success of Trafalgar GC down the road, so I detected some serious competition issues. I wished I talked with him longer because I would've loved to ask what they're doing about changing things around. I mean, if you don't want public play, then shouldn't members encourage new people to join. Is it the sole responsibility of the Club to attract new members? Private Club politics has me intrigued. I'd love to play there as it's so close to home, but not sure I'm going to be welcomed. My money will be though I guess.
                  – Greg

Comment

Smarter management at Trafalgar I would guess. Have a few friends that are Pro's at other clubs and ranges around the west end, Trafalgar I guess put together a special rate for them to join (your never off duty where you work, so playing there is less fun) and they are enjoying themselves. Doesn't hurt when you bring higher caliber players in as members like to play with them.

Its not like they are there 7 days a week, maybe 1-2, so works in the clubs favor. If I was making a bit more this season I would have likely did the same thing, but only found out about it a few weeks ago.

Comment

A good golf course with some challenging holes. Believe it is now open to the public.

Comment

I don't think its open to the public (at least according to their website), but I definitely see this is as a 'to do course' this year as I've just signed on as a member of GTA Golf!

Can't wait to give'r a try!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
                          I don't think its open to the public (at least according to their website), but I definitely see this is as a 'to do course' this year as I've just signed on as a member of GTA Golf!

Can't wait to give'r a try!! :-)
                          Right on the bottom of the front page of their website:

"A LIMITED NUMBER OF NON-MEMBER TEE TIMES ARE AVAILABLE ON A DAILY BASIS"

Comment

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
                            Right on the bottom of the front page of their website:

"A LIMITED NUMBER OF NON-MEMBER TEE TIMES ARE AVAILABLE ON A DAILY BASIS"

Ah; missed that part! Thank you, sir.

Comment

Four years later......

Pretty soon mpare will be able to give us some impressions
                              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X