Collapse

Mystic GC

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystic GC

I am heading out to Mystic GC this week on Friday and am wondering what its like out there this year? I know the course has had a checkered past but I have not heard as much about this course this season. Any tips from the gallery?

Re: Mystic GC

Played Mystic last week after a layoff of a few years to recover myself . I was impressed how green everything looked - not sure if it was just my perspective compared to last time I played it or the time of year (early spring or late then, can't remember).

The greens were fine but for a few rough spots. The fairways were quite lush - don't know what a long dry spell would do for that but we've had a relatively wet summer.

As you may be aware, it is a course to be played from the proper tees, matched to your ability. The forced carries are still there! (As is the trailer-like pro shop). Each and every one of the personnel I dealt with was first rate.

Let us know your impressions.

_______
    NQRfPT

Comment

Planning to do that as well next week Thursday.
      Post the course condition please.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmb4769 View Post
        Planning to do that as well next week Thursday.
        Post the course condition please.

Thanks.
        Greens conditions were somewhat out of their control, that took some serious snowmobile damage over the winter. The Silver/Gold combo decks are ideal imho, although I still always play 18 from the golds, as opposed to the silvers on the card.

One of the most underrated courses insouthern ontario if I do say so myself.
        TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
        TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
        Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
        Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
        Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
        Vokey SM4 50/54/58
        Odyssey Toe-Up #1
        Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

Is this course comparable to Dragon's Fire in terms of layout/condition/level of difficulty??

Comment

Mystic is much more challenging with forced carries off the tee. Choose tees carefully or you may not enjoy your day!

Comment

Whites for us Frankie!

Comment

haha; yep! I've already played 'World Woods' in Tampa and man... even from the whites, that course was quite the humbling experience... I must've been over 120 at that course! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
                  haha; yep! I've already played 'World Woods' in Tampa and man... even from the whites, that course was quite the humbling experience... I must've been over 120 at that course! lol.
                  Hit the range Friday! Should be interesting Sat! Looking forward to it!

Comment

Played last Friday (July 25th) and the course was in good shape. The bunkers were so-so but they did inform us to play lift rake and place in the bunkers but outside of that conditions were great. Pace was around 4hrs 45 mins which is a bit slower than I like but it did not feel like we were waiting on every shot just some here and there.

Played the gold/silver combo and it was definitely enough course for our group, I just wish others would realize how long and challenging this course could be and select the right tees. Starter was actually really good for us as he gave a really good speech with rules and tips before starting so that was a nice start.

I spoke with the pro shop on duty about the bunker issues after our round and he said they were looking at filling some more of them in as the drainage was not put in properly or something to that effect. For instance apparently that bunker in the middle of 9 fairway will either be totally filled in or partially filled in.

Only complaint was only seeing the bev cart twice through the round and Friday was a prime day to enjoy a few beers on the course if you like that kind of thing.

They are running a promotion out there on Tuesdays now where it is $56.50 for 18 holes with cart so if you are looking for quick rounds try and avoid Tuesday's.

Other than that I really enjoyed it and will return when I get the time for another round. Heading out to play Rebel Creek and Heron Point this week for a bachelor and a retirement party so if anyone has any feedback on those courses it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I have not played Dragon's fire as of yet so I can't really help you out with a comparison there.

Comment

Rebel Creek's much easier than Mystic with pretty similar conditions!

Mystic was quite the humbling experience; shot a 49 on the front, then got massacred by the back (61) for a total of 110! Eff' this game; lol.

Comment

I play Mystic a few times a year, and play the gold/silver combo tees.
                        It is one of my fav/unique courses, along with Tarandowah.

Yes it is challenging but I dont find to toooo difficult.
                        If you don't get psyched out by the few ravine carries off the tee, it is not super-hard IMO.

And I agree with many who feel #10 is a stupid hole.
                        Just like some Par 5's give are easy to get on the green in 2, #10 is NOT easy to get on in 3 !
                        I think it should be a Par 6. Scoring 5 on that hole is a well-earned birdie IMO.

- Andy
                        Last edited by ARL67; Jul 28, 2014, 07:42 PM.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                        Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                          I play Mystic a few times a year, and play the gold/silver combo tees.
                          It is one of my fav/unique courses, along with Tarandowah.

Yes it is challenging but I dont find to toooo difficult.
                          If you don't get psyched out by the few ravine carries off the tee, it is not super-hard IMO.

Just like some Par 5's give are easy to get on the green in 2, #10 is NOT easy to get on in 3 !
                          I think it should be a Par 6. Scoring 5 on that hole is a well-earned birdie IMO.

- Andy

I think that was another problem; those ravine carries definitely started to psych me out - moreso on the back 9! Ah well; that's golf for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

- Andy
                            A good friend of mine has a corporate membership there and I played with him probably 40 times over 2012/13. In August last year, while playing my last round before moving to Calgary, I finally got a par on 10. Without a doubt, one of the most satisfying scores I had ever written down on the Mystic scorecard. (I missed the birdie putt by 8" but I didn't care, the par felt so good.)
                            Last edited by GutterB; Jul 29, 2014, 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
                            Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura Pro 62 S
                            Callaway Epic SZ 14* Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
                            Callaway Apex 20* & 23* Hybrid Kuro Kage 80 S
                            Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW True Temper 95 S
                            Scratch 8620 56*, 60* KBS Tour
                            Odyssey O-Works #7

Comment

I've had a few birdie putts on 10.. one day I'll get it.
                              TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                              TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                              TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                              Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                              Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                              100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard