Collapse

Port Hope G and CC

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Hope G and CC

Played it yesterday. Don't be fooled by the 5100 yards. Some of the most challenging par 3's and diabolical greens I've seen. Some spectacular lakeside views combined with many elevation changes makes for a great experience. The extra 3 par 3's at the end are a nice touch.
    I recommend you play it if you're in the area.

Re: Port Hope G and CC

Great to hear. I have an underpar for there.
    I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

I have looked at this track a few times,sounds like a visit is worthwhile.

Comment

I like this track.. Good deal too
        Epic 10.5 - Elements
        Epic 3 wood - Elements
        Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
        King MB - Recoil Prototype
        Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
        Lamb Allendale
        https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

I fully agree. I played it back in 2004 and really enjoyed it.
          In my Taylormade TMX Stand-bag:
          Mizuno JPX 825 Pro DG R300 4 - PW
          Scratch Golf 1018 50 & 56 SS;
          Taylormade 58 degree lob wedge
          Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback
          Cobra S3 5w
          TaylorMade R11 3w
          TaylorMade R11 Driver

Comment

I have not played the previous iteration of this course (per the OP a 5100 yard course) but in current form it is a 6385 yard par 70. I am shocked that it is not on more people's radar. Crossing the train tracks to the nine holes hard on the lake... I don't know that I've played a course in Ontario that made me feel more like being in the UK. It doesn't have the elevation of the Muskoka courses, but the views are better. Away from the water there is a mix of good and bad but overall I could not recommend this course more highly. It's less than an hour from the city, about 50 bucks, and better than basically every public course this side of Osprey. GO NOW!
            http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumbleGolfer View Post
              I have not played the previous iteration of this course (per the OP a 5100 yard course) but in current form it is a 6385 yard par 70. I am shocked that it is not on more people's radar. Crossing the train tracks to the nine holes hard on the lake... I don't know that I've played a course in Ontario that made me feel more like being in the UK. It doesn't have the elevation of the Muskoka courses, but the views are better. Away from the water there is a mix of good and bad but overall I could not recommend this course more highly. It's less than an hour from the city, about 50 bucks, and better than basically every public course this side of Osprey. GO NOW!
              Port Hope just finished a huge renovation this year, so maybe they beefed up the golf course (which would explain the difference between the length OP stated versus yours). I’ve always had interest, but never gotten to it. Not exactly an area I go to often, but I’m excited for when I go and your endorsement tempts me!

Comment

Played there a couple of weeks ago and snapped some pics
                22 new photos added to shared album

Comment

Originally posted by adcool47 View Post
                  Played there a couple of weeks ago and snapped some pics
                  Nice photos, and their web-site has a short video: https://www.porthopegolf.ca/

Comment

Played today and really enjoyed the course.....especially the new holes. Some of the firmest greens I've experienced running at 10 or 11.

Bring your laser as your watches & apps probably haven't been updated for the new layout.
                    No relation to Golfninja

Comment

Played Port Hope today. Really good course now, I think that most holes have changed since I last played it in 2004. Luckily it was not windy today as I could see the possibility of it being really challenging if the wind picked up. As mentioned, the greens are quite quick for a public course. Holes 12 through 18 have some hills to them and do create some blind shots, especially on the par 5's 12 and 14, plus the long par 4 18th. Only downside was the many footprints in the bunkers, especially from folks digging in their shot stance and then not smoothing it out with their feet afterwards. $55.00 to walk on a weekend is a great walking rate. The bridge to cross the railway tracks is quite high, so crossing the bridge is a bit of a climb which you do twice in the round. Cart is not a bad idea. Similar feel to Cobble Beach, but at a lower price-point. Drove through the town afterwards and it looks quite nice as well.
                      In my Taylormade TMX Stand-bag:
                      Mizuno JPX 825 Pro DG R300 4 - PW
                      Scratch Golf 1018 50 & 56 SS;
                      Taylormade 58 degree lob wedge
                      Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback
                      Cobra S3 5w
                      TaylorMade R11 3w
                      TaylorMade R11 Driver

Comment

We played yesterday and agree with previous post. Bunkers not maintained. Greens a little too fast considering the size and undulations. I think they have missed the mark with some fwy widths and the amount of fescue. Public play equals amateur golfers equals slow play when things arent kept simple. Newer greens have filled in but some have a limited number of pin positions which they may regret later

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Armour V31 View Post
                          Played Port Hope today. Really good course now, I think that most holes have changed since I last played it in 2004. Luckily it was not windy today as I could see the possibility of it being really challenging if the wind picked up. As mentioned, the greens are quite quick for a public course. Holes 12 through 18 have some hills to them and do create some blind shots, especially on the par 5's 12 and 14, plus the long par 4 18th. Only downside was the many footprints in the bunkers, especially from folks digging in their shot stance and then not smoothing it out with their feet afterwards. $55.00 to walk on a weekend is a great walking rate. The bridge to cross the railway tracks is quite high, so crossing the bridge is a bit of a climb which you do twice in the round. Cart is not a bad idea. Similar feel to Cobble Beach, but at a lower price-point. Drove through the town afterwards and it looks quite nice as well.
                          Make sure you grab a burger here: https://olympusburger.ca/ after your round. They are awesome. Also if you're heading back west, take the Lakeshore rd to Newcastle. It's a beautiful drive.

Comment

Played there yesterday. The most scenic course in Ontario and by the lake front. Gives you the actual Link Courses feeling. The downside is that the GPS has not been updated for this course so you require a range finder to find the precise distance. The entrance signage to the Clubhouse is confusing and I ended up driving through a narrow wooded dirt road though if you stick to the path that takes you to the newly constructed housing it ultimately leads to the Golf Course. Not the best signage between the various holes. Thankfully, I played with a buddy that knew the whole layout of the course. Also, the Slope and Rating has not been measured, but I imagine that it will be very high indeed once it is analysed. The fairways were in good shape, and the greens were very challenging and it is advisable to aim for 5 to 10 yards before the Green otherwise your ball is going to run past the greens if you cannot somehow put in a back spin. Expect an average of three putts on each green unless you can read the contours / speed of the putts. Otherwise the ponds, streams and tall fescue presents a real challenge. Recorded my worst score of the season. Lots of Seniors on the course but apparently their complaints were no Senior rates from non-members. Also, strange that they do not have any cooked food or a chef. Only drinks and snacks like chocolate bars and chips available and not even any sandwiches. So a good idea to take your own food along. Otherwise, I have to repeat and will walk in spite of that tall steel bridge that crosses the rail tracks. You have to cross it twice.

Comment

Played 12 holes there yesterday on our way home from a short trip to Quebec. Due to the routing, they sell either 12 or 18 hole green fees. 12 puts you back close-ish to the clubhouse, although you end up walking the entire length of the driving range at the end. The 12-hole routing includes all the new lakeside holes. You had a good view of 18 from the 1st green, and it looked quite nice too.

It's a wonderful course - fun to play and some great views. It was hot and dead calm yesterday, but would really be something to play when the wind is up.

We didn't manage to find ourselves in many bunkers, but the one greenside one I got into was fine other than the usual mess of unraked footprints in the covid era. No rakes out, but the pins/cups were back to normal.

The greens were very nice, but confused us a LOT. Might have been something about the grass type that had different shading that gave a false sense of break. Other than that they rolled true, but quite slow. They were very firm and unreceptive to approach shots. As Eastend said above, you may want to land short and bounce onto the green's surface. Some of the greens are huge, and a couple have really fun contours.

This was such a great find - our friends absolutely loved it, so a big shoutout to Dave Pratt for the heads up. It's only a little over an hour's drive and well worth it.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X