Collapse

Shawneeki

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Sadly, that's prolly exactly where my game is right now, if I'm being honest.

Having said that, it is not a tough course. It has some good holes but nothing crazy. There were some water hazards with bullrushes I didn't even see on the first hole - it's worth looking at the map on the card. I love the par 3 (11th?) on the back 9 with a big drop down to the green. Conditions could get a bit mucky on some greens but otherwise ther were decent overall and I always enjoyed playing there.

It's not a bad walk Marty Canuck . You've been walking and cycling etc. so should have no problems.
    Just spent 2 weeks at the cottage not doing a whole lot! Sure felt it tonight on my round at Whispering Ridge!

Comment

Thanks also to all for their input! Much appreciated!

Comment

The front nine is much less strenuous a walk than the back. on the back 10 & 11 are pretty flat, but the great par 3 12th takes you down into a valley, and therefore you have to make your way out on the challenging 13th. 14 is a good par 3, then you have the 15th which plays a bit downhill. 15th is definitely a strangely designed/re-designed hole with 2 skinny fairways that bend their way around a long pond. 16 is a nice doleg left par 5 which would make a nice finishing hole. 17 is OK but the dogleg happens quite long into the hole , so you really need to crush one down the right side to have a chance at seeing the green on your 2nd shot. 18 is not a bad hole in its re-designed state, but I can see why some are not fond of it - very likely not a driver off the tee. I played it last July after a 5 or 6 year absense, and it was nice to see the better conditions and the re-designed 4th.
        In my Taylormade TMX Stand-bag:
        Mizuno JPX 825 Pro DG R300 4 - PW
        Scratch Golf 1018 50 & 56 SS;
        Taylormade 58 degree lob wedge
        Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback
        Cobra S3 5w
        TaylorMade R11 3w
        TaylorMade R11 Driver

Comment

If you don't think Shawneeki is difficult play the back tees. Gets waaaayyyy harder back there. Moreso than other courses for sure.

Comment

I found the course more challenging and enjoyable in the old days, when the range was on the adjacent property.
            A dispute between the two owners led the Shawneeki owners to redesign the course affecting holes. 1, 15, 16, and 18 to allow for the Range that is now integral to the course. #1, there used to be water hazards on both sides of the fairway. #15, was shortened, the old green was where the 16th Tee is now. #16, Tee used to be behind the water where the 18th green is now. So 15, 16 and 18 now play shorter. As far as 17 goes the original tree blocking direct access to the green was way bigger making this hole also much harder.
            For Iggy that par 3, is # 12 and in a tournament there I won a bundle of stuff ($900.00) for closest to the pin. I also Eagled the new 18th would not have been possible on the old one when the green was where the Range Tee boxes are now.
            Sorry about all this; has no real info for your question but I think you will enjoy your day.
            The only hills you'll encounter are #5 and #13, # 12 is downhill and I walked them occasionally at age 75.
            plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
              I found the course more challenging and enjoyable in the old days, when the range was on the adjacent property.
              A dispute between the two owners led the Shawneeki owners to redesign the course affecting holes. 1, 15, 16, and 18 to allow for the Range that is now integral to the course. #1, there used to be water hazards on both sides of the fairway. #15, was shortened, the old green was where the 16th Tee is now. #16, Tee used to be behind the water where the 18th green is now. So 15, 16 and 18 now play shorter. As far as 17 goes the original tree blocking direct access to the green was way bigger making this hole also much harder.
              For Iggy that par 3, is # 12 and in a tournament there I won a bundle of stuff ($900.00) for closest to the pin. I also Eagled the new 18th would not have been possible on the old one when the green was where the Range Tee boxes are now.
              Sorry about all this; has no real info for your question but I think you will enjoy your day.
              The only hills you'll encounter are #5 and #13, # 12 is downhill and I walked them occasionally at age 75.
              Perhaps not 'spot on' in directly answering the question but still interesting. The history of a course is something that many of us like to read about.

I do remember years ago hearing rumours about ownership changes/issues regarding Shawneeki with resulting maintenance/upkeep issues. But that is now only a vague memory and may be incorrect.

And congrats on still walking. Hope to be able to continue to do so myself.

Comment

So I did play today.

I commend them on the conditions. Everything was immaculate on the course. First one I’ve played in 2 years with rakes out for the bunkers though they still had the pool noodles in the cups? No matter.

Clubhouse set up is a bit funky and dated. More like you would expect from a municipal course. The only access to the clubhouse is for the washrooms. Couldn’t figure out how to get anywhere near the food service area. I think they are very Covid nervous. With our 11:28 tee time I was pretty hungry by the end.

Beers were $9 for tall boys which seemed kinda steep to me. Green fees riding ( I walked) were $80. For Friday afternoon I don’t see this as outrageous. Like I said the course itself is in immaculate condition. No complaints there for sure.

As others noted a few funky holes but I think they’re pretty good use since they have to work with the land they have. A lot of challenging shots for sure that require some precision.

I wasn’t having a great round though made myself grin after a tee shot on the back 9. 15, I think? Anyway par 4 a bit shy of 400 yds with a split fairway that has a lake in the middle 200 yards out and another pond on the left of the left fairway. One in our group knew the course well and suggested laying up leaving a long approach. We were behind in the match so I said “heck with it” and pulled driver. Smashed it dead straight down the middle of the left fairway! One of only a few good shots on this day. My partner and I did claw our way back to win the match too. One of our opponents blew up with a 10 on the next par 5.

Overall great scenery and conditions. Greens were firm, fast and very, very tricky. I had a 15 foot put I saw as dead straight on the front. Ball tracked dead on the hole until 2 feet out where it turned 2 feet right! I still could not see what was making it break like that!

Comment

They have a food service window on the patio, which is only a few feet away to the left from where you would have checked in. I am having lunch there next Friday with a buddy who works there.
                  Last edited by 4underthru9; Jul 24, 2021, 08:29 PM.
                  plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Living in the area Have played Shawneeki dozens of times Over the years.

its a bottom-mid course , in the same class as Cardinal and Harbourview ( i prefer the latter) and so fills a role in the budget golf category for the area. It is mature and has one or 2 challenging holes but some odd and plain bad holes. usually in pretty decent shape.

clubhouse is simply gross , but since we are in covid nobody uses it anyways.

i like the par 3's there, definitely the courses strong point
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Played Shawneeki yesterday.(Sat) A small group of foursomes for my nephews memorial. We have gone there the last few years. But , come on $100 with a cart? So many other courses gouge like this during COVID. Yes the greens and conditions were really good, but this is not a $100 course, even at weekend rates. Gouge!

Comment

Originally posted by tch1963 View Post
                        Played Shawneeki yesterday.(Sat) A small group of foursomes for my nephews memorial. We have gone there the last few years. But , come on $100 with a cart? So many other courses gouge like this during COVID. Yes the greens and conditions were really good, but this is not a $100 course, even at weekend rates. Gouge!
                        I also played Shawneeki on Saturday (not part of any of the larger groups that were booked in that day). Course was in great shape, greens and fairways were just excellent for a heavy traffic public course. The post-round crispy chicken sandwich was superb, too. Nothing bad to say. If you don't like paying 100 bucks, try walking. $80 is the going rate for weekend golf these days IMO.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X