Maui Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui Golf

Hi Everyone,

I'm travelling to Hawaii (Maui) with my wife. Both of us play golf. I'm a single digit and she's around a 14 or 15. We are playing Kapalua, but I'm not sure where else to book. Kapalua is our expensive round, but I'd like another round a little closer to "reality". We will be there the last week of August and staying in Kihei.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as we've never been to that island.

Thanks!
    "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
    --Hank Aaron

Re: Maui Golf

Originally posted by Shankapotamus86 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm travelling to Hawaii (Maui) with my wife. Both of us play golf. I'm a single digit and she's around a 14 or 15. We are playing Kapalua, but I'm not sure where else to book. Kapalua is our expensive round, but I'd like another round a little closer to "reality". We will be there the last week of August and staying in Kihei.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as we've never been to that island.

Thanks!
    Check out Pukalani Country Club if you're looking for an affordable round. My wife and I played there for twilight. I think it was $60 US for 18 holes and cart for BOTH of us. Tremendous value.

I also played the Kaanapali Royal course and it was great as well. The greens were pretty quick but they were true (Pukalani's greens were considerably slower). The winds were crazy that afternoon.

Enjoy Kapalua. I played three weeks after aeration so the greens were a little slow but what a beautiful course. Take your camera.

Side note: if you decide to do the road to Hana, I suggest taking a tour. I wouldn't want to drive that route myself.
    Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura Pro 62 S
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    Callaway Apex 20* & 23* Hybrid Kuro Kage 80 S
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW True Temper 95 S
    Scratch 8620 56*, 60* KBS Tour
    Odyssey O-Works #7

Comment

Check out Wailea. I played the Emerald. Very nice course; I recall paying $90ish to play twilight and I finished with no problem (usually sunset starts around 6:30 in Maui and usually dark by 7).

Comment

Originally posted by GutterB View Post
        Check out Pukalani Country Club if you're looking for an affordable round. My wife and I played there for twilight. I think it was $60 US for 18 holes and cart for BOTH of us. Tremendous value.

I also played the Kaanapali Royal course and it was great as well. The greens were pretty quick but they were true (Pukalani's greens were considerably slower). The winds were crazy that afternoon.

Enjoy Kapalua. I played three weeks after aeration so the greens were a little slow but what a beautiful course. Take your camera.

Side note: if you decide to do the road to Hana, I suggest taking a tour. I wouldn't want to drive that route myself.
        Enjoy Kapalua, one of my favorite golf experiences ever. I drove the road to Hana. You need to be careful for sure but their are so many beautiful places to stop and take photos and experience. Leave very early in the morning to give yourself time to stop and enjoy the sights.

Comment

Played both Kapalua courses (Plantation and Bay) last summer. Plantation has amazing scenery, take your camera. You will probably hit some of the longest drives of your life depending on which way the winds are blowing.

There are a few courses in the Kihei/Wailea area that might be worth a look, I didn't get a chance to play them though.

Off topic, but if you decide to do it - Road to Hana is doable on your own, leave early, give yourself the entire day and yield to the locals - they are just trying to get to work 🙂

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the other courses mentioned.

We've rented a small car for the week and we will be doing the road to Hana on our own. We plan on hiking a fair bit, so I'm sure an early morning is in the cards most days.

Again, thanks for the information.
            "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
            --Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
              Check out Wailea. I played the Emerald. Very nice course; I recall paying $90ish to play twilight and I finished with no problem (usually sunset starts around 6:30 in Maui and usually dark by 7).
              +1

Played both courses there.

Beautiful views, good conditioning and very fair courses.

Bladerunner

Comment

I was there 13 years ago, can't remember the name of the course but it was right by the Sheraton resort about 20 mins from the Kapalua courses, the course is right beside the mountains and was beautiful and I remember it being a fair bit cheaper than Kapalua courses.
                the Kapalua's courses are a definite play they are the most scenic courses I have ever played.

Comment

Been to Maui 25 times, played there a lot.

The main issue is where are you staying: KAPALUA vs WAILEA vs KA'ANAPALI

- WAILEA in the SW vs Ka'anapali in the NW is an hour+ drive apart ... not recommended commute

- Ka'anapali vs KAPALUA : Kapalua is located north of Ka'anapali ~ 20 minutes ... ....no problem

WAILEA has fine courses ; Google the reviews. They are expensive.

I'm more partial to the Ka'anapali area , but that's just me

Ka'anapali and Kapalua

KAPALUA:

Uber- Expensive no matter which of the two courses you choose The Plantation course is moreso.

the Bay Course vs the PLANTATION Course:

- The latter is the PGA tour track home to the PGA TOUR's Hyundai Tournament of Champions....a tough and long and big elevation change venue not generally suggested for the average to high handicap golfer. The 18th hole - although a downhill play -- is up to 663 yards long from the championship tees.

- Consistently ranked as the #1 golf course in Hawaii, Designed by Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore, the course was designed on a grand scale in keeping with its location on the slopes of the West Maui Mountains and offers dramatic ocean views from virtually every hole. Its lengthy 7,411 yard par 73 layout

- Playing the BAY Course and playing the seaside par 3 hole as you shoot point to point over the crashing waves /water as you play the onshore winds is a fun trick. (5th hole, the only hole to play over the ocean on Maui)

The vistas are great

Ka'anapali: The vistas are great also.

ROYAL Ka'anapali:

My Faves in terms of product and value for money

Royal Ka'anapali vs Ka'anapali KAI course

KAI: Designed by architect Arthur Jack Snyder, at 6,400 yards, this par 70 course is a more forgiving course with subtle, undulating greens that accommodate all levels of play.

It was the Golf Channel BIG BREAK venue a couple of years back. It winds up a hillside and is the easier (and cheaper) of the two.

ROYAL: Ka'anapali Tournament Royal (North) Course

- a nicer track IMO but generally more money. Its been on the Golf Channel ...

....One of only two courses in Hawaii designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. the Kaanapali Royal Course has professional golf history.= the World Cup, Women's Kemper Open, Champions Tour, and the Champions Tour Skins Game. At 6,700 yards, a par 71 course
                  Last edited by BOOMERSAURUS; Aug 24, 2016, 08:27 AM.
                  GOLF...Game Of Lifetime Frustration

Comment

Re: Maui Golf - trip tips

If you want the "real" lowdown on "do's" and "dont's: in Maui, just send a PM and i would be pleased to give you my take and experiences and tips after 25 trips to Maui. That includes both golf and stuff to do in general.

Just a sampler:

(1) if you are in Kihei, be prepared for a crummy long, tiresome stop-and-go traffic experience to-and-fro Kihei to Ka'anapali and farther to Kapalua , depending on when you go during the day. Plan accordingly. Early Kapalua tee-times and driving in from Kihei may require a 2+ hour advance departure driving time from Kihei.

(2) Road to Hana: one of the biggest tourist trap experiences ever: the wacko traffic conga line that cinches to a narrow winding road road can easily take up to 4 hours each way, and once you get there, you may also have the "WTF - what's the BFD?" opinion...- "..was it worth the trip??".
                    The "7 pools" Hana legend is a myth and very overstated in its published appeal and IMO purely hyped for the tourists - full stop.

Watch a DVD for the limited appeal. All Hana is a lazy village in a remote wet subtropical side of the island whereas west Maui is in the leeward dry arid side of the island.

They flog the "I survived the road to Hana" T-shirts to tourists for good reason.

I've done the trek twice over 25 trips ...never again. I would suggest that you take a minibus + pro-driver leg there and take a helicoptor tour leg back FWIW....
                    GOLF...Game Of Lifetime Frustration

Comment

There's always the less touristy back-road to Hana. If you're out that way, you could go visit Charles Lindbergh's grave site.

Buddy played Ka'anapali for $15US last year. He happened to call one morning to see if there were any open tee times and the pro shop told him they had a last-minute deal for $15US if he could make it there in 30mins.

You will spend 80% of your time looking at the landscape at Kapalua Plantation course. Bring a stapler to attach your hat to your head if the Kona winds are kicking!

Bring a jacket if you plan on doing the sunrise/sunset on Haleakala. It's frack'n cold up there, even in the middle of summer. You'll be amazed at the amount of stars you can seem just don't go on or around a full moon for best viewing options.

Comment

On a sunny day King Kamehameha is a beautiful experience on a ridge. It's a private course but you can play if you contact the pro.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X