/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Westbrook Golf Course - NSFG (Not Safe For Golf)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbrook Golf Course - NSFG (Not Safe For Golf)

tl;dr compare the pictures on their site with what I’ve posted here. I paid $29 on GolfNow, they charge $48 to play this "course".

If someone wanted to make a golf themed horror movie, it would probably take place on the barren wasteland that is Westbrook "Golf Club" in Kingston. You start to get an eerie feeling driving up to the clubhouse in the middle of the day and noticing there's only one other car in the parking lot - the pro shop attendant's.

"Hmmm," you think to yourself "maybe I am a little bit crazy to be out here playing in this 38 degree weather." But then you remember that round you played last week at a muni back in Cambridge (Doon Valley). Sure, you almost got heat stroke but the course was reasonably busy. Besides, remember how awesome that cold shower felt after?

You park your car. Stepping out into the blistering noon hour sun you notice you're in front of the putting green near the first tee. Although, you only assume it is because of the miniature flags listing lifelessly above brown grass. You think "wow, they've got a really large practice area" before you realize you can't actually make out where the green ends, and the rough begins. This would become a recurring theme during the day.

You walk inside, mention you got a deal on GolfNow last night for the course to the pro shop employee and she hands you a cart key. "It's really dry out there" she says, "just making sure you're aware." You laugh and say it's expected, given how little rain has fallen over the last few weeks. "There's a couple out on the par 3 course, but you're the only one out on the main 18" she answers, when you inquire about how busy it is today. A chill runs down your spine - no one else thought to play before it got hot today?

Ready for a round of golf you load up your electric cart and think to yourself you might be able to finish in under 3 hours, it'll be a good day today. Course to yourself, cart to yourself, nothing to worry about. Your electric cart feels groggy - as if you woke it from a deep sleep - when you step on the accelerator and head off to the first tee.

Stepping up to the first tee and taking your golf GPS app out on your phone, it seems odd to you that the satellite images from Google Maps show the course as dry and dead as it currently is. "These photos must be from this time last year" you say to yourself, as if to make sure you don't start to question what kind of round this will turn out to be. The first hole is a good start, with the dry conditions making you feel like a tour pro. You catch your first shot as good as you can at your handicap, fading left to right over a hill. Moseying up to your ball in your cart, you’re astonished to find out you smacked it 285 according to the GPS app. In surprise your eyebrows raise when you see that number pop up. It’s been a while since you caught one that well. From the left rough – at least, that’s where you think you are – you play a 9-iron into the green…er, “brown”. Classic you though, pushing it right. Great distance but you just forget how to aim sometimes. You remind yourself that no, you don’t need a new set of cheap Nike clubs – you need lessons. Pulling up beside your ball you take out your trusty 58* wedge, trying to knock it close. It’s a good shot, or at least it would be if the “browns” were an 8 instead of 18 on the Stimpmeter. It rolls across the green to the fringe. Your putting has been decent lately (you’ve repressed the memory of the back-to-back-to-back 3-4-3-putt from two weeks ago) so you’re not too worried. As you walk across the green however, you notice the back half looks like the dry skin on the back of your grandmother’s hands – cracked and flaking, with unnatural ridges popping up all over the place. At least this time it’s not being dragged across your face to a raspy “look how cute you are” – only your ball has to suffer that torment. It’s an uneventful two-putt from 15 feet away on the fringe for you, walking away with a bogey. A good start.

Hole #1

The second hole has a tee protected by trees, offering you some refuge from the unrelenting sun. You use the shade to check the distance to the green using your GPS app. Curiously it’s about 10 yards different than what the scorecard says…and neither the scorecard nor your app agree with the distance from the hole sign. You trust your app and pull out your 9-iron for this 138 yard shot. Just want to get it over the bunker, and letting you ball fall victim to the rock hard greens as it probably rolls through it. Stepping up to the ball, you let it fly after your trademark 3 club waggles. It’s pulled a bit left, gets a healthy kick right and ends up just long on the fringe. Perfect, just like you planned. With the cart parked behind your ball towards the next tee, you trust your putter to hit the ball close. And it works – you one-putt to save par, what a scrambler you are!

Hole #2

But there’s a surprise on this green. One that has been there for days, a week even. One that the grounds crew should have noticed last Friday, after the hawk got to it on Thursday.

Hole #2 Surprise!

Yes, that is a half decomposed frog on the second green. It’s not even hiding.

I’m done with the narrative. I could go on, but over the round of 18 that I just played today I’d be writing the script for a blockbuster feature length film starring Kevin Costner called “Tin Cup 2: Revenge of the Pond.”

This was the worst golf course I have ever played in my life. I would not recommend it to my most hated playing partner. That was on the second hole, and it only got worse from there.

The third hole had a small patch of green grass beside the green, but again the green was in atrocious condition. Then you realize that the green patch only exists because of the sprinkler directly behind it.

Hole #3

Number 4 was a tight par four, again with a terrible green.

Hole #4

If you still can’t grasp how dry it was, my tee shot on the 5th hole was a topped 3-hybrid, getting two bounces in before passing the red tees…it went 191 yards. Fairways and greens were pretty much the same as the others, with an added bonus that the flag wouldn’t stay in the hole. Seriously, no one else was on the course, yet the flag fell out of the cup. I had to drive up and jam it in to make sure it wouldn’t fall over before hitting my second shot.

Hole #5

Bonus video showing you how terrible it looks in person:

Hole #5 Bonus Video

The 6th hole tee box doesn’t even have blue tees, yet the hole sign and scorecard both have a larger distance for the blues than the whites. I just played from the whites. From the tee box, the hole looks like it goes straight over the small trees in front, but that’s the 1st fairway. The hole goes directly right out of the tee box, those trees are the left border of the hole. See that tiny gap on the right, that the tee markers aren’t even angled towards? Yeah, that’s where the hole is. Aren’t you glad you didn’t trust the hole sign that says it goes straight? Bonus on this green – you’ve got about a dozen anthills all over the place. It seems Westbrook has become some weird hybrid between a golf course and mini-putt.

Hole #6

A driveable par 4 is next, and to my surprise I actually hit it. Made birdie actually. So check the birdie thread for details. I was lucky enough to hit it to a spot where my line to the hole avoided all the canyons.

Hole #7

The 8th was memorable because my ball came to rest in a canyon once I made it onto the green. Punched a 7-iron up there after losing my ball left of the tee. Lovely.

Hole #8

The 9th was interesting, walked over a creek to get to the tee. Well I think it was a creek at some point, but definitely not today. Tight tee shot that I lost left so re-teed and hit one down the right side. Addressing my fourth shot, going through my waggles and looking at the target and then back down to my ball, I notice the flag disappears. Same thing as #5, I hop in the cart and plop the flag back in. I think this green was the worst.

Hole #9

At the turn, I went in and grabbed more ice water from the pro shop and talked a bit with a guy who had come in for presumably the afternoon shift. They said they had a tonne of people out on Tuesday, but haven’t been busy lately with how dry it was. I straight up told him this was the worst ****ing golf course I’d ever seen. In my mind, I didn’t have anything else to do today, the round was only $29, and it was like watching a trainwreck unfold before my eyes. I had to keep going.
    9° Cobra King F6+ Driver
    15.5° Cleveland Mashie 3W
    19° Adams Tight Lies 2 3H
    4 - AW TaylorMade RocketBladez HL
    54.11 Titleist Vokey SM4 Tour Chrome
    58.09 Titleist Vokey SM4 Tour Chrome
    SeeMore Corona Del Mar X2
    Sun Mountain Four 5

Re: Westbrook Golf Course - NSFG (Not Safe For Golf)

...continued...

The tenth green was bad again but by this point I wasn’t fazed. 11 over par headed to the tee I vowed to continue exploring the Canadian Outback. I duck hooked my drive into a tree then duffed a 5-iron layup, eventually double bogeying the hole.

Hole #10

At the 11th I yanked my drive left into the fescue, hit a 7-iron layup, then didn’t put enough mustard on my 54* and ended up on the fringe. A 12 foot fringe putt and I left the hole with a par and 0 putts. If anyone wants scrambling lessons hit me up.

Hole #11

The 12th, a 124 yard par 3 got in my head. Chunked a PW (on a dry course, how is that even possible?), bladed a 58 into a bunker long of the green. In addition to the mini-putt greens, Westbrook has also made bunker play more interesting by sprinkling in ¾ clear aggregate in with the sand. And by sprinkle, I mean dump 50 lb bags into each bunker. It’s hard to make out in the bunker picture, but they’re there – trust me. I escape with a one-putt bogey.

Hole #12

Now 13 also had a bad case of scorecard-doesn’t-match-the-hole-sign-itis, a disease which seemed chronic throughout the course. There is a 40 yard difference. How that happens I have no idea. I hit my drive into the fairway bunker, which is a bit generous. Almost as barren and dry as the greens, you can make out cracks in the bunker in the pictures. I chip one close – avoiding the cracks – and save par.

Hole #13

I hit the longest drive of my life on 14. I thought I lost it in the trees right, so dropped one at the edge and hit it onto the green. Then drove up to the green and apparently I smashed one 303 yards almost into a tree stump. It’s the third picture, the ball on the green is the one I dropped earlier. I make par from 20 yards out.

Hole #14

The easiest hole on the course was next, but that didn’t mean it was for me. Long par 4 with the wind made me second guess my club choices. Nothing notable on this hole, the green was actually decent. Dead, but no cracks or anything that I could see. I hit 4 shots inside 100 yards and card a 6.

Hole #15

16 was much the same to 15, except into the wind this time. Some geese were hanging out eating the only alive grass on the course. I avoid the terrible state of the greens by chipping in for par.

Hole #16

Almost done over now, 17 begins with one of the tee markers just dropped on the tee box. If you notice in the tee box picture, the only water on the hole is on the right hand side. Which is exactly where I hit my drive. I drop and then immediately lose it on the fescue on the right side of the hole. As an added bonus, my cart dies near the green (pic 3 – notice no bag on the cart) and am forced to take in this course and all it’s majestic beauty on foot for the last hole. I can’t wait.

Hole #17

See, the 18th is confusing because the “back tees” are actually at the front. Because this par 4 is a par 3. I didn’t know that, as I left my scorecard on the cart. So I hit a ball from the whites thinking this hole was similar to 6 in that there was no such thing as blue tees. I actually hit a pretty good drive to the left of the green. But when I walked up I noticed the blues were where you’d expect the red tees to be. Then my app told me it was a par 3 and all made sense. Miss right, blade a chip, chip on, and two putt. Way to finish strong.

Hole #18

So immediately after I finished, my mind was racing. I couldn’t believe this place was actually charging people for this experience. I had no idea what to say, because there was so many things I wanted to say. I’m not a confrontational guy, and I’m not wanting to get a refund or a deal on another tee time (like I would ever come back) so I go in and talk to the pro shop guy. He says the owners haven’t been out to see the course all year…which is really odd. He talks about the drought, and how it’s affected the course. I tell him that it’s a crime they’re open and charging people to play here, and that they should close ASAP. There are no other options in my mind, just so many things wrong there. He says the owners are coming to see the place this weekend and that they’ll probably decide then what is going to happen to the course. I told him to urge them to close this place, because they clearly don’t care at all about it as a golf course. I say goodbye, and remind him that my cart is stranded out on 17.

Scorecard.

EPILOGUE

Well this was a lot longer than I thought it would be, but I’ve honestly never seen a place like this. I did a bit of research on the course, which I admittedly should have done beforehand, and it’s not looking good. There are a lot of unhappy golfers from reviews of the course on GolfAdvisor (“it should be closed due to humiliation”). It seems to have been in poor shape since the start of July. Reviews on TripAdvisor from the past month about the place are all complaining about the state of the course. The course was bought in November 2015 by HarbourEdge Realty Administration Corporation in Collingwood, which explains why they have never seen the place this year. There was also a guy walking around with a knife and assaulting course employees last month. My money is on this place not existing next year, and in a couple years’ time will become housing or some other such development.

As an added bonus, when I went to add this round on my Golf Canada profile, I got this message: “This course is not a member of the Golf Ontario and does not have a valid Course and Slope Rating. Scores from this facility cannot be posted or used in calculating an official Golf Canada Handicap Factor. Please contact Golf Canada if you have questions.” I’m not even sure why this place exists.
    9° Cobra King F6+ Driver
    Sun Mountain Four 5

Comment

Awesome post.

Comment

Wow.

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this adventure.

Comment

Wow, makes me feel good about Camisle & Parkshore
          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
            Awesome post.
            Originally posted by ShaneBarnes View Post
            Wow.

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this adventure.
            Thanks, I still don't know what to think about the whole experience. I think the whole time I went through the round I was in shock. I honestly didn't think people let courses get this bad. I've played dry courses during droughts and water shortages before, but this was something else entirely.

Isn't there a course that some TGNers make fun of for being dry all the time - Annandale or something? I think there may be a new champion, albeit nowhere near the GTA.
            9° Cobra King F6+ Driver
            Sun Mountain Four 5

Comment

Originally posted by TH3W View Post
              Thanks, I still don't know what to think about the whole experience. I think the whole time I went through the round I was in shock. I honestly didn't think people let courses get this bad. I've played dry courses during droughts and water shortages before, but this was something else entirely.

Isn't there a course that some TGNers make fun of for being dry all the time - Annandale or something? I think there may be a new champion, albeit nowhere near the GTA.

Good thing you carry a "tight lies" in the bag
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                Good thing you carry a "tight lies" in the bag
                This guy
                9° Cobra King F6+ Driver
                Sun Mountain Four 5

Comment

Last time I saw ground that dry it had lions roaming around.
                  I like big putts and I cannot lie
                  You other putters can't deny
                  That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                  You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
                      Last time I saw ground that dry it had lions roaming around.
                      If something jumped out from the fescue it would make a lot more sense as to why the course looks the way it does.
                      9° Cobra King F6+ Driver
                      Sun Mountain Four 5

Comment

That HAS to be the worse shape course I have ever seen, full length, executive or par 3. Just terrible.

Most of those greens will need to be resodded next year, there is no way they can recover from that.

If it was in the GTA, then yes it would be hands down worse than Annandale.

But on the positive side, there was no one in front of you slowing you down, or groups behind you wanting you to speed up, so in that regard it is better than Annandale

Comment

Other than that, how was the layout?

Comment

I especially liked the cracked earth "browns."
                            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I'm waiting for one of the usual buffoons to suggest that you are only unhappy because the course kicked your azz.
                              I like big putts and I cannot lie
                              You other putters can't deny
                              That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                              You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X