BEST (PUBLIC) GOLF COURSE for "friendly" match

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST (PUBLIC) GOLF COURSE for "friendly" match

Hi guys,

I have a friend visit on September and we have competition together (He's from Europe). We always play let's say best course that we can pick...

Can you give me some recommendations where you would go?

I got some tip on Glen Abbey, Wooden Sticks... Do you have some better (any other) recommendations? Ideally max 1hr drive from TO.

Thank you very much!!!

Marty

Re: BEST (PUBLIC) GOLF COURSE for "friendly" match

Touchest test of golf I would say is going to be mystic. Greens aren't in amazing shape as of August 14 though.

Osprey would be a sure fire winner for a good match though.
    TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
    TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
    Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
    Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
    Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM4 50/54/58
    Odyssey Toe-Up #1
    Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

Osprey Valley.

- You can play best out of 3 of linkstyle, wasteland, and parkland each
      - You likely won't be paired with other people
      - You can play at your pace

Comment

45-50 minutes north of Toronto is Tangle Creek. Quite a challenge from any tees nice scenic views. Always in great shape and more affordable than a course of similar quality in Toronto...plus no houses to be seen.
        "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

Osprey Hoot, the wasteland course. It's sets up for match play well because their are many risk/reward shots on the course. The man who dares to take the risky line can have a real advantage on several holes. Par 3's are quite good as well and not overly long. Plus, it's beautiful and quiet.

Comment

Tangle Creek is a great place for a match-good call.

Originally posted by sweetchilli View Post
            45-50 minutes north of Toronto is Tangle Creek. Quite a challenge from any tees nice scenic views. Always in great shape and more affordable than a course of similar quality in Toronto...plus no houses to be seen.

Comment

well since OP listed Glen Abbey & Wooden Sticks, I would recommend Eagle's Nest, Copper Creek or Angus Glen

...and all are top-notch facilities & a lot closer to Toronto
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Copetown Woods would be a good place for a match IMO. Conditioning will be good, pace of play good, course is well suited with a couple of risk/reward holes in the mix...
                10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

If his friend is travelling from Europe, then a top ranked facility is required. Referring to the Score Top 100 would be a good start.

In Ontario I would recommend 4 (types) of courses. In order of preference.
                  1. A Muskoka course. Canadian Shield rock outcroppings, forest, elevation changes and views of a lake/water. Almost a uniquely Ontario feel.
                  2. Osprey Valley. 3 courses rank in the Top 100 in Canada. Great pace of play and always in great shape. And closer to Toronto.
                  3. Glen Abbey. Host of so many Canadian Opens.
                  4. A top ranked Stanley Thompson. The quintessential Canadian golf course architect. However in Ontario these may be difficult to get on to as they are mostly private.
                  Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Aug 19, 2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I didn't see the part about your friend coming from Europe. In that case, take him to Osprey for a 'play all day'.
                    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                      If his friend is travelling from Europe, then a top ranked facility is required. Referring to the Score Top 100 would be a good start.

1. A Muskoka course. Canadian Shield rock outcroppings, forest, elevation changes and views of a lake/water. Almost a uniquely Ontario feel.
                      2. Osprey Valley. 3 courses ranked in the Top 100 in Canada. Great pace of play and always in great shape. And closer to Toronto.
                      4. A top ranked Stanley Thompson. The quintessential Canadian golf course architect. However in Ontario these may be difficult to get on to as they are mostly private.
                      Agreed in following the just released Score Golf Top 100 Canadian course.

Most top courses are private so you have to sift your way through but here are some top ranked considerations:
                      #19 Muskoka Bay - amazing golf experience 1.5hrs north of the city especially if the leaves start changing colour
                      #28 Eagle's Nest - super course just north of the city
                      #48, #55, #70 - Osprey Valley - 3 courses together 45 mins north of the city - go play all 3 for one rate!

Other considerations: #64 Copper Creek, #83 Taboo

Good luck!

Comment

This thread reveals what an amazing place for golf in which we live. For me... it would be osprey valley. No place in Canada and few anywhere with 3 such 3 courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

2. Osprey Valley. 3 courses rank in the Top 100 in Canada. Great pace of play and always in great shape. And closer to Toronto.
                          Agreed 90%.

The Muskoka courses are unique and epitomize a "Canadian golf" experience. Pricey, but you said you wanted the best.

Osprey, just because.... you always have the place to yourself and conditions are always excellent.

The Abbey, a bit less enthusiastic. After the historical aspects of hosting so many Cdn Opens, it's pretty meh for the $$$. I also think it's dangerous to ever try to use the word "historic" when hosting a guy from Europe. They've got plenty of that. For the same reason I'd avoid Wooden Sticks with its replica holes.

I played Woodington Lakes again for the first time in a while, and it struck me that many holes (both courses) set up well for match play. Conditions are pretty good, usually not too crowded, some interesting holes, not too far a drive, food and beverage on site.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X