Collapse

Angus Glen

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angus Glen

Anyone play there this year yet? I want to know what you think about the conditions of both the South and North courses. I played both and I was pretty disappointed with the South Course greens. The winter kill definately had its way. Despite that, everything else is in great shape. No complaints about the North, great conditions, just need the fescue to grow longer. Service is outstanding!
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Angus Glen

Originally posted by Focker Singh
    Anyone play there this year yet? I want to know what you think about the conditions of both the South and North courses. I played both and I was pretty disappointed with the South Course greens. The winter kill definately had its way. Despite that, everything else is in great shape. No complaints about the North, great conditions, just need the fescue to grow longer. Service is outstanding!
    haven't played it yet but from what i saw driving by, the fairways and greens look amazing. is it a case of looks good from far but far from good?

fyi, i was driving by on major mack.
    Jaydog

Comment

Angus Glen and Wooden Sticks are not great golf courses. Their green fees are too high. Those golf courses are not difficult. It's the ol' smoke and mirrors thing with them, they rely heavily on word of mouth. They want people to be in awe of the shoe shine they got instead of being bowled over by the spectacular golf holes they played.
      What is fantastic about a golf course (Angus) that has fairways wide enough to land an airplane on? That golf course is highly overrated and overpriced.
      "Squad 51, KMG 365"

Comment

I've played the North Course already and was pretty impressed with the conditions for this time of the year. (I played it about a week and a half ago). The rough was already thick and the fairways were in very good condition. The greens still have a bit to go before they are in great form but of the few courses that I have played this year, they were probably the best at Angus Glen. I am playing in a tournament on the South course on saturday so I will be able to tell you what the course is like afterwards.
        ".......to Golf or not to Golf......What a stupid Question....."

Here today..........
        Callaway X-Forged Steel 5-PW
        Callaway Hybrids 3,4 & 5 Neutral
        Callaway Jaws 60 Wedge MD
        Nike SV Tour Wedge 56
        Callaway HX HOT ball

Comment

I am just courious about your views on what is a great golf course. Is a great course really difficult? Must it have narrow fairways? Is slope rating also the value of the course to you?
          Aside from #10 and 18, I wonder which holes you find easy at Woodensticks? From 7000 yards the slope is 149, from 6500, its 142. How many courses are sloped that high from 6500? Maybe 5 in all of Ontario. Hole 12 and 13 are two of the most difficult par 4's in all Ontario and 11 (postage stamp) is no bargain either. Do you shoot par there or even lower than your handicap? I don't know anyone who shoots lower than their average at Woodensticks.
          And Angus, while not beautiful held it own against the pros for the Canadian Open, so I don't think it's as easy as you think either. I generally believe it is slightly overated as well but it is not a bad course.
          And you must think Augusta is a joke. I mean the 13th hole has a fairway 65 yards wide. 10, 14, and 17 are wide as well. We could get airplanes on them as well.
          Just explain what makes a course great so we understand what you consider good.
          Thanks!
          Pud.

Comment

I have yet to play it, but whenever I passby on Warden/Major Mack, the conditions looks beautiful and difficult..I believe it's the North Course that I was looking at....

Can't wait to play it....friend works there and can get some special guest fee for $65 w/cart.
            Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

I would have to agree with your thoughts on Angus Glen. I always thought that the course was just average, and not as challenging as i had hoped when I first played there years ago. the service is great and they treat you well, which can not be said for other course like Woodington lakes and nobleton lakes. Course is usually in great shape, but as you mentioned...fairways are wide and greens are large.
              Originally posted by 962B
              Angus Glen and Wooden Sticks are not great golf courses. Their green fees are too high. Those golf courses are not difficult. It's the ol' smoke and mirrors thing with them, they rely heavily on word of mouth. They want people to be in awe of the shoe shine they got instead of being bowled over by the spectacular golf holes they played.
              What is fantastic about a golf course (Angus) that has fairways wide enough to land an airplane on? That golf course is highly overrated and overpriced.

Comment

I will say that the North is more wide open than the South but I wouldn't say that its an easy course because of that. I agree the fairways are wide but if you approach the green from the wrong side of the fairway, your chance of attacking the pins are pretty low. I also think the approach shots into most of the greens on the North are tricky. The holes play tighter as you approach and the undulation and collection areas off the greens really make you pick your spots and most importantly, hit them accurately.
                The South is tighter in terms of fairway width and the greens often have 3 tiers or have subtle breaks and are hard to read.
                The service is the best in Canada and has been for the last 9 years. Thus the reason for higher than normal green fee's.
                "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
                Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
                Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 962B
                  You are right 962, Angus Glen and Wooden Sticks aren't great Golf Courses - They are exceptional courses. Great golf courses in my book would be Pebble Beach, Augusta National, St Andrews Old Course. THOSE are great courses. Angus Glen South is a challenging a course as any, The North course is a links style course with wide fairways and strategic pot bunkers and fescue (when grown in). I actually like the fact that I can swing away at the tees and still be on the fairway - WHEN THE WIND IS DOWN. When the wind is up, who knows where it's gonna go. Wooden Sticks is a gimmick course with their replica holes, but they put the whole package together very well and keeps the course in good condition. I play there just to be able to play the 17th. That hole is always fun.

Anyway, you have your opinion, I have mine. enjoy the season!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X