Collapse

Beacon Hall rumours of land sale?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TruthHurts View Post
    In a bit of a sign of moving forward. Beacon Hall has brought back former longtime assistant superintendent Colin Young as superintendent. Colin replaces Paul Scenna who has moved on to Toronto GC.
    Wasn't Colin at Lebovic GC? Did he just spend a year maintaining a course with no play?

Comment

• Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

Wasn't Colin at Lebovic GC? Did he just spend a year maintaining a course with no play?
      He saw the writing on the wall at Lebovic and was hired at North Halton this past season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete12345 View Post

What makes you think that? Are you aware that Magna has been sold to Trillyan Investment Limited? They are a development company owned by Chinese investors. Do you think the lady who runs it who doesn't golf bought the property because she loves the game, wants to see the course still in existence 10 years from now and thinks operating a golf club is a great return on her investment? Come on
        I’m well aware of who’s purchased it and why. Maybe it’s you who isn’t?

Comment

• Originally posted by racmbs View Post

I’m well aware of who’s purchased it and why. Maybe it’s you who isn’t?
          Magna Golf Club is not going anywhere anytime soon. I know someone very close to the situation.

Comment

• One possibility of the future of Beacon that has not been discussed is the sale going through and keeping the front 9 open. Most of the developable land is on the back nine. The condos are mostly on the front nine and so are the environmentally sensitive areas. By making the front nine green space the developer could build out the entire back nine and not really lose any acreage and most of the front nine would not be suitable for new homes anyway. The condo owner would still have their neighbourhood and everyone is a winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
              One possibility of the future of Beacon that has not been discussed is the sale going through and keeping the front 9 open. Most of the developable land is on the back nine. The condos are mostly on the front nine and so are the environmentally sensitive areas. By making the front nine green space the developer could build out the entire back nine and not really lose any acreage and most of the front nine would not be suitable for new homes anyway. The condo owner would still have their neighbourhood and everyone is a winner.
              Interesting idea for sure. I don't think the members there would have any interest in keeping the club as a 9-hole course though. I feel like they'd either want to keep the club as is or sell the full property. Beacon is one of the most prestigious clubs in the country in my opinion and people join there because they want to be apart of one of the best clubs in the country. 9 holes completely changes that and makes it far less desirable. Look at Toronto Hunt club, nice course but because it's 9 holes it rarely gets talked about and people have way less interest in going out there to play.

Comment

Interesting idea for sure. I don't think the members there would have any interest in keeping the club as a 9-hole course though. I feel like they'd either want to keep the club as is or sell the full property. Beacon is one of the most prestigious clubs in the country in my opinion and people join there because they want to be apart of one of the best clubs in the country. 9 holes completely changes that and makes it far less desirable. Look at Toronto Hunt club, nice course but because it's 9 holes it rarely gets talked about and people have way less interest in going out there to play.
                Perhaps but The Hunt did make this list though....

They might be half the length, but they're full-blown fun. Here's GOLF's first-ever ranking of the 50 best 9-hole courses in the world.

And the initiation is $35K now...which not many courses can charge, well the Pulpit is trying...

Comment

• Originally posted by kcirtap View Post

Perhaps but The Hunt did make this list though....

They might be half the length, but they're full-blown fun. Here's GOLF's first-ever ranking of the 50 best 9-hole courses in the world.

And the initiation is $35K now...which not many courses can charge, well the Pulpit is trying...
                  Understood, but I've never even heard of that list before you just showed it. People who join Beacon join a club like that because they want to join one of the best clubs in the country, there is a prestige factor involved. That prestige factor is completely gone if you go to a 9-hole course. You go to 9 holes that course is no longer one of the best and is hardly spoken about. I live in Toronto but joined Hamilton because I felt the club is truly special and easily top 3 in the country, if it went to a 9-hole course I would resign in less than a second.

For those who are interested the vote is March 5th, they need 66.6% to vote yes to sell and the payout is $950k/member.

Comment

For those who are interested the vote is March 5th, they need 66.6% to vote yes to sell and the payout is $950k/member.
                    Isn't this contingent on a deal with the condo owners as well. This deal is not just a membership vote that get this deal done.

Comment

Understood, but I've never even heard of that list before you just showed it. People who join Beacon join a club like that because they want to join one of the best clubs in the country, there is a prestige factor involved. That prestige factor is completely gone if you go to a 9-hole course. You go to 9 holes that course is no longer one of the best and is hardly spoken about. I live in Toronto but joined Hamilton because I felt the club is truly special and easily top 3 in the country, if it went to a 9-hole course I would resign in less than a second.

Along with "prestige" I think people join for access to the tee and maybe even an investment... There is so much golf in Ontario and with this development boom, certain courses in certain locations are ripe for a sale, especially ones with too few members, limited succession and or ones that are struggling once the covid lift is gone. Beacon may lack the history to insular development around it to protect it from sprawl.

Comment

the payout is $950k/member.
                        There is an old Russian saying "money comes to money".

Comment

• I hear voting is today with results posted later this week, would be a shame to see this great course lost to a housing development.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcirtap View Post

Along with "prestige" I think people join for access to the tee and maybe even an investment... There is so much golf in Ontario and with this development boom, certain courses in certain locations are ripe for a sale, especially ones with too few members, limited succession and or ones that are struggling once the covid lift is gone. Beacon may lack the history to insular development around it to protect it from sprawl.
                            Agree on both fronts. We'll likely continue to see the exploration of land sales (either full or partial) as a marketing tactic to entice new members and ease capital assessments on current members. If the land is assessed at $1mm per member it makes for a compelling selling feature when asking for $40k+ initiation. The traditional golf club model is quickly evolving in Canada and we're down to just a handful of truly 'prestige' clubs across the country that wouldn't explore a compelling offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by DuffMan67 View Post

Agree on both fronts. We'll likely continue to see the exploration of land sales (either full or partial) as a marketing tactic to entice new members and ease capital assessments on current members. If the land is assessed at $1mm per member it makes for a compelling selling feature when asking for $40k+ initiation. The traditional golf club model is quickly evolving in Canada and we're down to just a handful of truly 'prestige' clubs across the country that wouldn't explore a compelling offer.
                              You're right, so few are left that would be able to "defend" against an offer at this point. In the GTA, I'd argue the only one who truly has the prestige is St. G's. Weston/Islington/Toronto/Lambton while all have the history, not sure the membership would hold up given the current state.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnlyBirdies View Post

You're right, so few are left that would be able to "defend" against an offer at this point. In the GTA, I'd argue the only one who truly has the prestige is St. G's. Weston/Islington/Toronto/Lambton while all have the history, not sure the membership would hold up given the current state.
                                Agree in general that the trend is for more golf courses to close in the GTA. However...

National got an offer last year that they rebuffed. Many clubs are built on land unsuitable for development so they are safer. Rosedale (to my untrained eye) looks to be built largely on flood plain for the Don river. Given their history, membership base and that much of the land is undevelopable makes them a safe bet - even though whatever could be developed would be incredibly valuable. Lampton, Donalda, Cedarbrae, Don Valley seem all to be built on similar terrain.

If I was a betting person, I’d bet that the membership at Beacon Hall turns down this Treasure Hill offer. We will find out tonight.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X