Rumour - Maples of Ballantrae to Become Royal Stouffville

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post
    https://www.golfnow.com/courses/-56-...course-details

It appears that's correct based on course information on GolfNow.

This will be yet another fake "Royal" course. They will join the ranks of "Royal" Niagara, Ontario, Ashburn, and probably a few other courses that use the "Royal" moniker without a Royal Charter.
    the whole concept of royalty is FAKE , so that word has no regal meaning to most people , just another way of trying to say that their product is better then the next . . . . You royal watchers need to get over it LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
      the whole concept of royalty is FAKE , so that word has no regal meaning to most people , just another way of trying to say that their product is better then the next . . . . You royal watchers need to get over it LMAO
      Impressive bump to say this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post

Impressive bump to say this.
        Well thank you

Comment

Do members have reciprocals at Royal Montreal or Royal Colwood?

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
            That's why when I win the Lotto, I will commission my own course to be named Glen Valley Ridge Creek Golf & Urban Club
            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

A panda? Really?

I wonder who came up with that....
              The Chinese...who else.

Comment

The new owners hometown is known for Pandas and hotpot. They wanted to do something that represented where they are from and figured pandas would look better on flags than hotpot. They are also paving cartpaths in the spring and trying to open the range so hope they can make a difference I do not mind the layout.

Comment

I've played the course both prior to and after the change to Royal Stouffville. Course was exactly the same the both times I played it.

I will say this about the new management. They were very reasonable with my buddy and I. We went there on a whim after a networking event at the Markham Golf Dome. While on the way there, scoping golfnow site and found Royal Stouffville on there for $50 incl cart. Did not book, just wanted to know the price. Went in to speak with the pro and he gave us green fee for $40 each and only had to pay one cart fee. Pretty well the same price overall, but the fact that he was willing to do that was nice and brought me back for at least one more round that year.

Comment

Should note that the $50 on golfnow did not yet include the "convenience fee" so once you factor that in, we maybe paid $5.00 less or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

That's why when I win the Lotto, I will commission my own course to be named Glen Valley Ridge Creek Golf & Urban Club
                      LOL , I'm in for a membership !

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post

There is 'Royal' and 'Faux Royal'. Ashburn belongs in the latter and because they proceeded without applying for a royal charter, it is likely that they never will get one......! But, who cares. It's a nice little regional course that is quite nice to play and they have a better than average dining experience.
                        You are absolutely right - who gives a Royal F--k that they did not go through proper channels to achieve Royal consent. If it doesn't bother the owners of Ashburn, it most certainly doesn't bother me. It will always be a decent rural public course that can be fun to play and has a half decent dining room. Used to enjoy their Nine & Dine on Fridays and would like to see them bring it back.......!
                        If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Is this course worth playing? Some deals are out now. Should I buy a few green fees or pass?

Comment

Originally posted by bdybldr View Post
                            Is this course worth playing? Some deals are out now. Should I buy a few green fees or pass?
                            I've always liked playing there (even more than, dare I say; Ballantrae!!)
                            Can be very slow on weekends.
                            Not fond of the re-routing (all holes were moved back 2 holes about 10 years ago, that's why you finish on a Par 3---used to be #16)
                            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Definitely a decent course. I have been playing there a few times per year since 1984. Yes,I preferred the old routing but it was only changed due to the need for a building for the pro shop + what used to be a small restaurant. It has a good mix of holes. With a little tlc plus paving the cart paths it will be a very enjoyable course.
                              In my Taylormade TMX Stand-bag:
                              Mizuno JPX 825 Pro DG R300 4 - PW
                              Scratch Golf 1018 50 & 56 SS;
                              Taylormade 58 degree lob wedge
                              Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback
                              Cobra S3 5w
                              TaylorMade R11 3w
                              TaylorMade R11 Driver

Comment

I think if you can play this on a weekday with a deal ($50 or under with cart) then its a pretty good place to play. It can get very slow on weekends and sometimes conditions aren't the greatest. A mix of strong and quirky holes. Overall a pretty reasonable place at the right price.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X