Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf North Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf North Opinions

I'll be moving to Waterloo next month and need to find a home course. I'm 21 so an intermediate options is ideal but it seems the private courses in the area will be tough to join (specifically Westmount). I've looked at GolfNorth as an option but it seems fairly pricey. Any opinions on if its worth it and if there's anywhere else I should be looking? I've also considered Elmira because its a great price but the drive might be a bit much to get to after work. Thanks for any ideas you guys may have!

What part of the city do you work and live in?
    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
      What part of the city do you work and live in?
      Work in Kitchener at the tannery and will live in Waterloo near Columbia and Erbsville

Comment

Kitchener Golf membership isn't bad either. Last year they had a deal on intermediate memberships, Rockway and Doon are enjoyable courses to play. Golf North has lots of options but is pricey and lot all of the courses are kept in great shape.

Comment

Tricity Golf Club is an option worth checking out too. Google them and if you're interested in joining let me know, I can send you a code that gets us both a free round.

Comment

Originally posted by newballcoach View Post
            Kitchener Golf membership isn't bad either. Last year they had a deal on intermediate memberships, Rockway and Doon are enjoyable courses to play. Golf North has lots of options but is pricey and lot all of the courses are kept in great shape.
            Does that membership include range access at Doon Valley?

Comment

Originally posted by GolfMac View Post

Work in Kitchener at the tannery and will live in Waterloo near Columbia and Erbsville
              Hmm, you're not really close to any of the private clubs aside from Westmount.

Elmira wouldn't be too bad to get to coming from your house, but would take about 30 minutes from downtown. I was a member there for several years when younger, it is a good club and the head pro Jeremy runs a good operation. Aside from that, you're looking at Golfnorth or Kitchener Golf as the other private clubs are all the opposite direction.

Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Why would Westmount be "tough to join"? They have intermediate memberships like everyplace else.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
                  Why would Westmount be "tough to join"? They have intermediate memberships like everyplace else.
                  There is currently about a two year wait list for the intermediate category. I inquired earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
                    They had an aggressive promotion going a couple of years ago and the category is full.

Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

It's the wrong direction geographically, but you might look at Whistle Bear as well.

They have a strong group of younger guys and the facilities are first rate.

Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. I think it might be a bit too far to make it worth it which is too bad, I've heard great things. It looks like Elmira might be the best choice, letting me get out on weekends and practice semi-regularly. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

A consideration for WB is the highway access. On the weekend from uptown Waterloo it was about 20 minutes. Maybe 30 during the week. Not as close as you might like, but similar to Elmira and the facility is much, much better.

Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

If you're at The Tannery Building weekdays for work, you zip up Charles St directly into the Expressway -> you'll be at Whistle Bear in 20 minutes tops. Or Deer Ridge in 15 minutes.

Does Deer Ridge offer a trial membership ?
                            I know last year at the Record Auctions website, you could buy a trial membership for $2500. But they did not have that promo this year. You could contact Deer Ridge and chat them up what they can offer you. It is an equity course, but you can attempt a trial and see what happens price-wise.
                            WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                            Cobra F8+ with Attas 5 GoGo 60 Stiff / Kiyoshi Purple 55 Stiff
                            Callaway 816 14* with Kurokage TiNi 50 Stiff
                            Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Callaway X Forged UT 22* with Accra i110
                            Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with C-Taper R+ ( SL & TLT )
                            Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Accra i110
                            Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Accra i110
                            Edel E-3 Putter with Pure grip
                            Nike RZN Platinum/Black

Comment

It's been a few years since I last played, but Grey Silo was always a fun track. Probably a 15-20min drive from the Tannery.
                              (Westmount and Deer Ridge are obviously the best bets for memberships long-term)

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 162,872   Posts: 1,704,447   Members: 45,549   Active Members: 248
                              Welcome to our newest member, joe1019.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X